Announcing the RME on-air ham radio net

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
That sounded like a great net last night. I was at work until a few minutes after 9pm, and was driving home while the rest of the net was taking place. The car I drove didn't have a radio installed, though I did have a handheld with me. This allowed me to listen in, but there was no way my HT was gonna hit that repeater from this distance, especially from inside a car. The net ended just before I rolled up to my house, but then a few guys kept chatting... so once I got home, I got out of the car and quickly jumped into the Suburban so I could say one or two things. That's why you didn't hear me until it was over.

I'm happy to pass the baton back to Dempsey or anyone else who would like to take this on next week.

Like many of last night's participants, next week I will be in Moab and thus unable to join in the net. For that reason, I'll ask you to handle it again, Eric. As for the week after that, we can wait and see if someone else wants to lead it instead (since I'll still be working until 9pm or later).

...The net ended just before I rolled up to my house, but then a few guys kept chatting... so once I got home, I got out of the car and quickly jumped into the Suburban so I could say one or two things. That's why you didn't hear me until it was over.

Like many of last night's participants, next week I will be in Moab and thus unable to join in the net. For that reason, I'll ask you to handle it again, Eric. As for the week after that, we can wait and see if someone else wants to lead it instead (since I'll still be working until 9pm or later).

I also listened in after we were done. I actually like that model of having the official net, then hanging out afterwards. Maybe we could actually invite those participating to stay and chat informally afterwards.

I will plan on handling net control next week unless anyone else would like to. If anyone else would like to try, I can share Dempsey's script and we have been keeping an informal roll of member checkins.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm out of town next week. (Like a lot of folks... maybe we do a different net and see who we could talk to from a ways away? --maybe we'd need permission from repeater operators in Moab, though--- is the Sinbad (? is that the one that's Hanskville, Price, Moab, Blanding? ) tied to the Wasatch front at all?)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
maybe we do a different net and see who we could talk to from a ways away? --maybe we'd need permission from repeater operators in Moab, though--- is the Sinbad tied to the Wasatch front at all?

Yes, the Sinbad system is tied to the Wasatch Front--there is a repeater on Lake Mountain (west of Utah Lake). This location can reach up into most of Salt Lake county, though I expect service would get sketchy as you go further north from there. There are no other Sinbad machines further north from that one.

If you guys want to try this, I will reach out to the Sinbad club and see if I can get permission to use their machines. I expect we would still aim for Wednesday night around 9pm (?).

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Yes, the Sinbad system is tied to the Wasatch Front--there is a repeater on Lake Mountain (west of Utah Lake). This location can reach up into most of Salt Lake county, though I expect service would get sketchy as you go further north from there. There are no other Sinbad machines further north from that one.

If you guys want to try this, I will reach out to the Sinbad club and see if I can get permission to use their machines. I expect we would still aim for Wednesday night around 9pm (?).

Wednesday night is an event in Moab. We might want to try a different night and possibly let Eric handle the RME net @ 9 pm again? How's Tuesday night for a Sinbad net? Say 7:00pm?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
BIG NEWS!

I have obtained permission for us to use the Sinbad System for our net next week. However, I was explicitly instructed to follow a few guidelines:

Just so everyone knows up front: we don't allow CB lingo (10-4), bad language and such, and they must properly identify their station.
Wednesday night at 9PM I think is a clear time.
If there is any abuse the control operators will disconnect all links.
Our partner repeater clubs all abide by these rules so everything works harmoniously with the many repeaters and links involved and we need to respect their rules just as they respect ours.
Hope your group understands.

Quite frankly, their listed requirements are essentially the same as ham radio rules in general. In other words, anyone who is following the usual protocol should not ruffle anybody's feathers in the slightest. I think we'll be fine.

Now we just need to nail down a specific day/time so I can let them know in advance. Speaking of, let's say we select a time and, just as we all turn on our radios, it turns out there is some other net already in progress. If that happens, I suggest we postpone 30 minutes and try again.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I will give it a try, the 147.08 Lake Mt. repeater may be a stretch for me to hit.

Thank you for mentioning this. For those of you in Utah/SLC counties: the Sinbad Repeater on Lake Mountain is on frequency 147.080 and requires a tone of 77.0. For those of you in/around Moab, the Bald Mesa repeater is on 146.760 and requires a tone of 88.5. The repeater in downtown Moab is on 146.900 and has a tone of 88.5, though it doesn't have spectacular coverage.

Program your radios accordingly.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Tonight I was preparing for our net, only to discover the Lake Mountain repeater has... issues... with its audio output. Since that repeater was central to our planned activity, I have decided to cancel tonight's net. Sorry, guys.

OldGeezer

Tonight I was preparing for our net, only to discover the Lake Mountain repeater has... issues... with its audio output. Since that repeater was central to our planned activity, I have decided to cancel tonight's net. Sorry, guys.
I was eavesdropping last night from West Valley. Your audio was low but clear. Every one elses was loud and clear. Nobody was broken up or dropping out.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I was going to be tight on making the sinbad net anyway. I will be taking a general test :cool:

I should be able to make the normal net at 9 though.

Guys, I hate to bail at this late hour, but I’m delivering a trailer to Oakley, and there is no way I’ll be back in range by 9:00. If someone wants to step up and wing it being net control, feel free. Otherwise, maybe just have an onmoderated chat.

Sorry again!