Another 7.3

Bart

The wife decided we needed a boat again, and wanted something with a flush toilet and big enough to sleep on. We ended up with a 01 242 Rinker. That led to the decision that my 03 GMC 1500 truck with the 5.3 was just not going to cut it so the search was on for another tow rig.

The search was on for a decent tow truck for under $10k, and I've got to say, there is a bunch of junk available at the price range.Finally found this clean little 99 Superduty, that had 180,000 miles, and a rebuilt tranny and was mostly stock. It also has the shift lever for 4wd instead of the switch. It has it's problems, but it is clean, mostly straight, the little things can be fixed.

BTW, if anyone has a set of rear leaf springs I need a set.

Going to add a leveling kit, new shocks, rear leaf springs, upgrade headlights, wheels/tires, and then fix all the little things, and add a programmer, intake, and turbo back exhaust.

F250.JPG

Bart

Whew, that great to know Cheston, I was worried.:greg: This is my 3rd 7.3 and I've had really good luck with them.

LT.

Though I hate fords, I have always kind of liked the 2007 harley-davidson headlights. Not sure how much of an upgrade they are but, they do look good.

LT.

Last edited:

Bart

Got the new rear springs, leveling kit, tires/wheels, stereo with ipod and bluetooth, and new 4" exhaust on. The new grill came in on Friday and the upgraded headlights come in Wednesday. They will get installed Wednesday night hopefully, and then I just need to fix the lock actuators and get the keyless remote programmed. The starter is dragging like the batteries are low, but I had them checked and they are in great shape. I'm guessing a new starter may fix the problem, but I hate throw money that way if it won't. With all the extras I should still come in less than $10k for the truck which is where my budget was. Still lots of little stuff to work on but its getting there.

There are 2 other parts to the truck that are bugging me. It's got one of those plastic bed liners in it hiding what I'm guessing is a pretty beat up bed, and the interior is blue. I'm seriously thinking about gutting the interior, replacing the carpet, and painting all the plastic a two tone light and dark grey. If I could find some good GM truck seats for a decent price I'd throw those in and have the rear recovered to match.

For the bed I need to pull the plastic insert and assess the damage, I'm thinking just a roll on bed liner will work if the wheel wells aren't destroyed.

Bart

What headlights did you go with?
I went with these from Headlights Depot. Decent reviews and the only complaints were concerned the amount of headlight bucket cutting you had to do, which was common with all of the conversions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YHFI5S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought I'd dress up the rest of the front and also picked up a new grill.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OJ3RSO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did your old truck sale?

Oh yeah, it had to go before I bought the new truck.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
On that starter....

Check and make sure the bolts that hold the starter on are tight. Its pretty common for them to back off.

I thought my starter was poopin the bed to. Got under to look and noticed it was floppin around. Tightened them and it cranked like a champ! Just something to look at

I went with these from Headlights Depot. Decent reviews and the only complaints were concerned the amount of headlight bucket cutting you had to do, which was common with all of the conversions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YHFI5S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought I'd dress up the rest of the front and also picked up a new grill.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OJ3RSO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't wait to see this installed. I've thought of getting the either that grill (truck vs excursion) or the newer '05-'07 grill. I like the lights too.