Another Engine Rebuild

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
In light of the recent threads that have popped up on here I come seeking advice on a Cummins 6.7 rebuild. Looks like an injector took out a piston. This is the kind of rebuild where I'm looking to drop the truck off and pick it up once completed. I wont be doing any of the work on this one. So where should I take it, preferably in Salt Lake County? The only two that I know of are Industrial Injection and Gillett Diesel. Should I consider any others?
Thanks,

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
There are a couple of Gillett Diesel companies. Gillett, Gillett Brothers, etc.

I haven't looked to close at any of them in the last 5-10 years but Gillette used to have some "questionable" practices...

so unless there is bad word about industrial injection, I would lean that way.

Bart

I used the Gillette Diesel at the point of the mountain for my injectors and a tap shifter. They did a great job and had good communication. The tap shifter went out after a year and it took some time to diagnose it. They did that, ordered the new parts and replaced it all for free. I would highly recommend them.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I can't recommend a shop but I can offer my experiences with rebuilding my 6.7. You have a couple of choices here depending on the amount of collateral damage that has been done. Do you know if there is any damage to the cylinder wall that will require to the block to be machined? If so, you may be close to equal money to just buy a short block from Industrial Injection in comparison to the labor involved in tear down and reassembly of the motor. If you haven't decided to do it already, I highly recommend putting head studs in it now.

If you have your truck deleted, there is a whole list of upgrades you can make to this motor to make it flow air better which brings the EGT's down and makes them easier to control. Compounds being the main upgrade. My EGT's dropped by about 250 degrees and with the amount of air they push, they do not climb quickly under load. I can still reach 1400 but it is very controlled when you are pushing 35-40 lbs of boost. deleting the grid heater on the intake helps air flow easier also.

When I rebuilt mine I decided it was better money to make this truck what I wanted for 12-15K than spending 60+K on a new one.

Agility Customs

Vendor
Last time I was at alltruck they had a complete 6.7 motor with harness and everything for 4500 bucks and 18,000 miles. Might be worth a look.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I would never pay a diesel mechanic to work on my vehicle again. Every big name shop I talked to treated me like an idiot. The one shop that didn't turned out to be a joke. I'll do all my own work from now on. I'm cheaper, faster and do a better job than any shop I have seen.
I agree with this statement on everything but doing it myself. I don't trust myself to do this level of work. The shop that did mine is owned by a family friend and I full trusted the mechanic doing the work. I stopped by almost every day to check progress and BS. That mechanic is no longer with that shop and he replaced him with another good Cummins mechanic.

Tonkaman

I would trust industrial injection, they are HUGE in the diesel world! Plenty of people across the country have trucks built up by them, they aren’t just your local mechanic shop.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
A coworker ran his 5.9 mega cab out of oil and had Industrial Injection do the entire removal and replacement along with some minor upgrades and updates. He was out of a truck for 6 weeks or so. I recall it being 16kish.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
For me I noticed a drop in performance while towing. This started around 105K miles. After talking to the people at Industrial I would just plan on doing injectors on a Cummins at around 100K

Omgbecki

Any good places decently priced to replace a car engine? I understand good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good Just seeing if saving this car is worth it. My car decided to break the timing belt.