Another Italian followed me home...

Tonkaman

I took the bike in for its break in service last night. They fixed a leaky slave cylinder, installed the springs, put on the street legal light kit, replaced the clutch lever, replaced air filter, and lubed it all up. My radiator guards had finally come in but unfortunately I've already bent one radiator so bad it won't go on. I'll have to take it off and try bending it straight.

I can't say enough good things about Jim at Sunny Off-Road. Those guys are so accommodating and as nice as could be. Hell I've been up there twice this week after 11 pm and they don't mind meeting me at the shop.

Hopefully I can get s feel for the new springs before hitting my first race in mesquite Saturday.

EDIT: I also had to buy a spark arrestor because apparently the stock one doesn't count for USRA

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
EDIT: I also had to buy a spark arrestor because apparently the stock one doesn't count for USRA

Why? Is it a silencer or is it a silencer with spark arestor? If you take a coat hanger and it does not pass through the entire silencer, then you have a spark arrestor that is suitable.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's pretty easy to bend a radiator back straight. Just time consuming to do it right. You gotta be gentle, but firm.

[video=youtube;Abl78E_6TcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abl78E_6TcI[/video]

I used wood to make spread out the load.

Tonkaman

Thanks for the video. I remember you did yours before and I was amazed at how straight you got them. I'll give it a shot after this weekend, hopefully I don't trash them completely in the meantime.

Tonkaman

Most of you know that back in July I front flipped this bike over a hill top and pancaked myself.

Initially it looked like it was just minor damage and could be fixed for about $1500. I bought the obvious parts and tire it down to start fixing it up. While cleaning up the dirt and oil I discovered cracks in the engine case and decided to claim it on insurance.

Filing an insurance claim on a bike felt pretty foreign to me. I wasn’t sure what to expect out of the claims adjuster and found myself ready to declare war if they pushed back. To my surprise, the claims agent was AWESOME! I really couldn’t be happier about my service and his willingness to do the extra work that finding Beta parts requires. Long story short, my claim ended up at $6,800 in Damages! Thank goodness for insurance.

c3512679c3041169568629a12b9dd07f.jpg
a332ce54237c9b4a419799eb1956210e.jpg
4061896a548fe26b8af9cf89deec69e7.jpg
7a720595a7d23e14fda2899bd85bd6be.jpg
65b51cef92b0d4104843273ef766a760.jpg

Tonkaman

Well it’s time to order some parts!! I need a little advise from you guys.

The bike only has approx 50 hours on it. So big question is while it’s apart, what should I replace? Piston? Bearings?

The front pipe got pretty smooshed, so I need to either have it repaired, or replace with something like a Gnarly or Scalvini pipe...

The suspension is this bikes big downfall and definitely the culprit to more than a few wrecks. I’ve decided it’s time to address that problem now. There are 3 options:
1- valve the stock suspension, keeping in mind they don’t have any compression adjustment just preload.
2- add compression adjustability and valve accordingly. This would be about $1k
3- go big! Boano Racing kit replacing the crap suspension with Sachs forks, and Fox podium shock. This comes with everything needed and valved properly for me. $2800k!

Decision, decisions....

D

Deleted member 12904

Put a gnarly pipe and nice suspension on it and it will be a bad ass mini RR.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My opinion would be to go ahead and do the piston for sure. The bearings are find but fall into the might as well since you are in there category. I do not know much about the Beta suspension but if you are considering the $1000 investment I would look at adding the N10Z valves we have been running the last 5 years.

www.nostsuspension.com

rholbrook

The bike was not designed to do what the full size RR is designed for. It you want to rip across the whoops, sand or desert, get the RR. The bike is designed to be a great single track bike with crazy low end torque, nice soft suspension, light weight, lower seat and incredible handling in the hard to ride technical stuff. It wasn't made for shorter guys to rip around in the dunes on. Don't waste money making the bike what its not designed to be. If you want a dunes bike, go buy a good used 450 for a couple of grand. If you want a mountain bike, keep it what its supposed to be. That doesn't mean you cant have the suspension dialed in better but I wouldn't throw thousands at making it what it isn't.

Tonkaman

Put a gnarly pipe and nice suspension on it and it will be a bad ass mini RR.

That’s my thoughts exactly! There are a few Beta riders using these in races like Romaniacs and RedBull Sea to Sky!

My opinion would be to go ahead and do the piston for sure. The bearings are find but fall into the might as well since you are in there category. I do not know much about the Beta suspension but if you are considering the $1000 investment I would look at adding the N10Z valves we have been running the last 5 years.

www.nostsuspension.com

I figured the piston was a no-brainer, but wasn’t sure about bearings. Your probably right, might as well.

I know Nost has some awesome suspension, but their valves won’t work in my stock forks. I only have one spring, preload on one side, and rebound on the other side. Lame

The suspension I’m looking into is from Stillwell Performance, they do all the factory Beta race bikes.

The bike was not designed to do what the full size RR is designed for. It you want to rip across the whoops, sand or desert, get the RR. The bike is designed to be a great single track bike with crazy low end torque, nice soft suspension, light weight, lower seat and incredible handling in the hard to ride technical stuff. It wasn't made for shorter guys to rip around in the dunes on. Don't waste money making the bike what its not designed to be. If you want a dunes bike, go buy a good used 450 for a couple of grand. If you want a mountain bike, keep it what its supposed to be. That doesn't mean you cant have the suspension dialed in better but I wouldn't throw thousands at making it what it isn't.

You have a solid argument that’s why it’s such a hard choice. I don’t want to pound whoops or thrash dunes, that’s exactly why I bought this bike. The biggest problem is that the nasty gnarly riding I like to do is always at the end of a long whooped out trail. The way the bike sits now is flat out scary above 3rd gear.

I have been contemplating buying a new RR to see if I like it better, but I’d be giving up what I love about this bike.... decisions... decisions....

Tonkaman

I finally got my new engine cases, piston, and all new engine gaskets. Silly Beta doesn’t even sell a complete engine gasket kit! I had to buy 3 separate gasket packets plus a few singles just to get them all. Let the rebuild begin!

Tonkaman

I made a bit of progress today. Finally continued tearing down the bike, and got the engine out.
68e7ab8742a2e5633d1a436110409618.jpg
de32c7672bf7759a19fb339668045dcc.jpg

Unfortunately I accidentally ripped the rear brake line when jacking up the bike [emoji34]. Now I’ll have to buy another.

I was shocked by how nasty the spark plug was! It is the original plug with about 50 hours on it, but I’ve never felt it necessary to change. Is it possible that it’s running rich enough to do this, but not feel it in the throttle response??
1923d52dcd9f9cdeb3c78b4d498de05c.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I can’t wait for this to be going again. Hopefully it all works out well in your favor.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better it is to rebuild a 2stroke as apposed to that old 4stroke you had. :)

Let me know when I can come wrench with you.

Tonkaman

I’m no longer allowed to work in my shop while distracted...

This bolt was SO EFFING TIGHT! the impact wouldn’t budge it, it didn’t move until I broke out a 4’ cheater bar and held the engine still inside the bike frame. BOOM! She broke loose!....

Suddenly I realize, it was a LEFT HAND THREAD!! What an idiot!

816504fa1586687c0bc7403c45d3f267.jpg