Another tire thread! I thought we had talked about this one but I can't find it?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ok, living with the 4.88s a "35" Toyo MT" (WAY OPTIMISTIC as they measure 33.5") I've determined I wish I had 4.56 gears. I'm spinning the "mighty" 3.6l at 3000 rpm constantly. That's 70-72 mph not 74-76 mph that I usually like to drive at. A true to size tire should help a little bit?

While I don't want to change diff gears, I wouldn't mind changing tires that would be more true to size. I have 17" wheels and would like to know what 17" tires (I swear someone did this thread a while ago?) really measure 35-36". Looking for a mud terrain or an aggressive all terrain.

Cascadia

Undecided
My 33" general grabber mt's were actually 33" so I bet their 35" would run true also. Quiet tire for how aggressive the pattern was too. And I bet they weigh a lot less than toto mt's.

mbryson

Supporting Member
37" tires have ran through my mind. I'm trying to NOT run that big of tires on these little axles.

Are 35" Trepadors or MTR Kevlars 35" plus? Anyone have a mounted size on a 37" BFG MT?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
My 35x12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers were much taller and wider than my buddies BFG's on his JK. I'll measure them when I get off work in 30 minutes.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Go with the 37's, and learn to use the right foot a little less. ;) Here are some numbers for you (@70mph).

33"=2888 rpm
34"=2803 rpm
35"=2723 rpm
36"=2647 rpm
37"=2576 rpm

And, as an FYI, my 1/3 worn 37" MTR-K's measure in right now at 36".

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I had some 35" General Grabbers and they were at least a half inch taller than the 35" MTR's I had. I can't say I ever measured them though.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Treps are pretty true to size. My 37 inch treps are a little bigger than the KM2s they replaced.

My General Grabber SC tires (35x12.50-17) measure 32-3/4" with 24psi.
My Toyo Open Country AT's (325/70R17) measure 34" with 26psi.

I was looking at getting the new MTR's as I heard they are pretty true to size.... Would be nice to confirm before buying.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Ok, I'm home now and can get a better measurement. My MTR's with 9000 miles at 26 psi on 8" wheels measure in at 36.75 inches, so I'd say new they're spot on 37.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
A JK will do just fine with 37's after you truss the front axle and gusset the C's. Artec's kit is nice and easy to install.

mbryson

Supporting Member
A JK will do just fine with 37's after you truss the front axle and gusset the C's. Artec's kit is nice and easy to install.

Installed and have alloy shafts on a D30. Not sure i want to go to 37" but don't know that I'll beat on this rig like I did my last one I had with a D30