Another towing doubles question

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Looking to do moab for thanksgiving, 26 foot bumper pull RV and my car hauler also bumper pull behind it with the buggy on it. It looks like from reading the few threads that I could find that people are doing this with good/decent results. A couple questions though.

Obviously trailer brakes on both trailers but the rear(car hauler) probably turned up a little more than the front (RV) right?

Do you adjust the weight of the rig on the trailer to have almost no tounge weight to make the trailer be more like a flat tow situation? Im guessing you want some tounge weight correct?

Bodine

One Call That's All
Sway control from my experiance is a must I towed doubles with a 28ft primary trailer and a 14 foot tandem behind it I loaded it a little heavy on the tounge of the 2nd trailer with good results.
Towing a single axle trailer was sketchy until I added sway control then it was good.
I sold my 28ft trailer and quit pulling doubles when I realized I had 20K worth of my junk on a trailer that I could'nt see :eek:

NE_Utah

I would go with a EQ hitch on the RV and justr a sway control on the car hauler. I would find out which one weighs more and put it first. My trailer and Jeep weigh more than my RV fully loaded, so I add my flat bed first. It looks funny but works just fine.

Just get them balanced out so they do not wip. Not fun with that long of a rig.

So I guess you got the lift problems taken care of on your truck?

I just read your post again. Put the longest first.

Tee

Tanned Fat Looks Better!
I did this alot only with boats as the second trailer. I have since given up the doubles idea and got a truck camper.

Have a good equalizer for the front trailer, set it up TIGHT.

One of those friction sway controls for the second trailer and agian, set it up TIGHT.

I used two separate brake controls, one for each trailer.(converted boat trailer to electrics) If you can't do that having the second trailer brakes set a little on the sensitive side would work.

Absolutely the most important thing no matter how your set up is KEEP YOUR SPEED DOWN. When I was pulling doubles I never exceeded 60mph. Thats plenty fast enough.

You will be tired when you get to your destination also. It's a workout if your paying attention......

kirk86CJ

I've done it with a 8,500 lb 26 ft 5th wheel as the first trailer, and the jeep on 18 foot trailer as the second. I used an equalizer hitch between the 5th wheel and jeep. I also ran a second brake controller around the 5th wheel to the jeep trailer - and only hooked up the panic button. that way my first controller would control both trailers normally, but if it swayed at all, I could slide the button a little on the second controller, and only activate the jeep trailer.
That being said, the axles on my 5th wheel are pretty far back. I have 2500 lbs tounge weight on my pickup bed. (you won't)

I hate doing it. I'm exhuasted by the time I get there. And I think I have made it as safe as it can be.

I wouldn't do it with a tounge pull trailer. - No Way. Your RV probably weighs 5-6K?, and your toy/trailer could weigh 4-5K? (my jeep and trailer weigh 6K). That sounds like a bad combo to me.

I've wondered if a tow dolly would be better, or maybe flat tow it. I might try either of those with a tounge pull RV.

R

rockdog

Tracy, DON'T DO THIS !!!!!! My son and other family did this this deer season. I didn't think it was a good idea. I've tried it myself with almost tragic results. Now his 91 4 runner is totaled. The tongue pull house trailer it was hooked to, is at the county dump. Completely totaled. The dully dodge pulling it needs major. Body work and I just thank god no one was hurt or killed.
Fifth wheel, I'd say go for it. Not behind a tongue pull.

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
i actually think it is illegal to pull doubles UNLESS the first trailer is a 5th wheel/goosneck. i'm almost positive.. for reasons already stated

1993yj

i actually think it is illegal to pull doubles UNLESS the first trailer is a 5th wheel/goosneck. i'm almost positive.. for reasons already stated

Not in Utah. In other states it is, but in Utah they just go off of overall length. Over 65' total length and you are supposed to have a special permit. To get this permit I think the only thing you need to do is pay the state more $$$. It was brought up here a while back (I think around Jeep Safari time when everyone really starts thinking about trailering).

I flat tow a jeep behind my jeep trailer (with the jeep on it). Just gotta watch the sway.

Whoa...wait a minute. A jeep/buggy behind a bumperpull RV trailer??? I saw a few of those heading to Vernal last summer. Nuts. Nope. I've thought about that a few times myself. My jeep/trailer is heavier than my 25' trailer...but the TT is sensitive to wind, and would make me nervous as the caboose. OTOH, there's NO WAY I'd put my jeep behind the TT. I'd be nervous about the trailer frame, for one thing.

Got a popup?

Last edited: