Another Willys Crawler build

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not to cause any trouble, but I think it's best to say something now.... So I overlapped my frame about the same and I'm worried it isn't enough. I have plans to extend my overlap, by at least another 2", if not 3". It would be good to have someone else weigh in that is a bit better versed in frame building... lol. The 4" overlap just doesn't seem like enough.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'll agree with you. Also - fish plate those joints. The torsion that frame will see will split just outside of the welds over time. :cool:

Tdylan28

I agree with both of you, those joints will see a lot of pressure. I'm fish plating inside and outside as well as top and bottom. When I cap the tubes that overlap I'm going to plate from the top of the cut down and over the top of the rail that its welded to at least 6 inches back. I intend on making these joints the beefiest points on the frame. After the drivetrain is set I'm going to add plenty of triangulation into the crossmembers and gusset wherever I can just to add plenty of rigidity. Also, being that this little jeep wont weigh a lot and is only making 170 horsepower if I'm lucky I dont think it's going to fail.

Tdylan28

Okay, I left 15" which seems like a bit much but I didn't want to be short... I guess when I get my motor in and steering box figured I can trim it down if need be.

Tdylan28

I don't like this thread.

...I've been wanting to do this same thing but with a 4cyl XJ (5 spd). I'll be watching and dreaming
That 4 cylinder 5 speed combo is going to be so much easier to work with than this 4.0 aw4. This turd is about as long as the whole jeep:oops:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That 4 cylinder 5 speed combo is going to be so much easier to work with than this 4.0 aw4. This turd is about as long as the whole jeep:oops:

It’s a pipe dream but I’d like to do it one day, just to cruise around and wheel lightly.
I can’t imagine trying to fit a 4.0 in anything it didn’t come in lol suckers are HUGE!

Tdylan28

That's the plan for this jeep, just something to cruise the car shows and take the wife trail riding once in a while. Eventually when I have the garage space and the funds it will probably go more towards a purpose built crawler.

Last edited:

Tdylan28

Made some progress today. The 4.0 fits! After a lot of clearancing.... but hey it's just sheet metal right? I'm going to have to move the drivetrain back a couple more inches in order to fit a radiator and electric fan in there. As it sits I've got 4 inches from the very front of the motor to the back side of my grill. So that's my next purchase. Any recommendations for radiator/fan combos would be appreciated. 20181022_154536.jpg20181022_155425.jpg20181022_155906.jpg20181022_164554.jpg20181022_165429.jpg

Tdylan28

Also, dont worry, I'm not welding this frame with that harbor freight welder in the picture lol. I've got a nice hobart 220v mig welder. But that little harbor freight welder is handy for tacking when I dont feel like getting the 220v machine around.