Another Willys Crawler build

Tdylan28

First time seeing this project and I have to say, it's coming along really well! Nice work.
Thanks! It's been slow going but it will get there. A couple times I wished I had chosen a different drivetrain...

I've got hockey pucks in my shop for my Willys body mounts.... X-D

Nice progress, it's coming along!
Thanks Greg! I need to pick up a couple more for the rear body mounts but they're working out great. Hopefully they last.

Tdylan28

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I'm currently trying to source some leaf springs to run in the back, either YJ or CJ springs. There's a couple guys local parting out some yjs so hopefully I can pick some up. The xj springs i have are way too long to work in this jeep.

Tdylan28

So I've been messing around with the rear axle position and figuring the rear drive shaft length... I'm thinking the only way this drivetrain is going to work is if i push the motor right up to the back side of the grill. Which means I'd have to mount the radiator in the back of the jeep with some electric fans I guess. Has anyone had a setup like that?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
It is certainly do-able, but I personally would try everything else before resorting to that solution. I'd even consider stretching the hood and fenders or cutting up the firewall enough to make the radiator fit up front.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It is certainly do-able, but I personally would try everything else before resorting to that solution. I'd even consider stretching the hood and fenders or cutting up the firewall enough to make the radiator fit up front.

I agree with that. The rear radiator thing is tolerable in a buggy, but kinda sucks... I don't think I'd consider it in a rig like this because you lose storage room and it's pretty noisy.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

I've seen people do just that, with a little measuring and time with a brake you could build a sheetmetal spacer to fit between the tub and the fenders, say 4" long, and make it bolt between those pieces. Then you'd only have to stretch the hood to match. Long as you have the frame length to do that, it wouldn't look too disproportionate. I'm cutting down my grill to just a shell, for the same reason... more space for a radiator and e-fan.

Tdylan28

Thanks for the input guys. I might think about stretching the hood and fenders. I'm already going to be lacking space in the back of the jeep with a fuel cell and battery tray back there... But at the same time I really dont want to mess with the proportions of the hood and fenders... ugh.. why are these jeeps so damn small... On a positive note I did order some parts to start hanging rear suspension! I picked up a set of stock yj rear leaf springs that I'm going to run spring over.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you need only a small amount of extra room, look at the "high fender" option. It gives you something like 3" of tire room, and 1 3/8" of space at the grill. (from memory, so don't quote me on the dims)

Tdylan28

The rear end is sitting on it's own weight. Got the spring hangers tacked in place. It's a little high and a little stiff so I think I'll be pulling a leaf or two out. I'll have to throw some 35s on it to see how they clear but it's almost looking like a jeep! 119103119104