Another Willys Crawler build

Tdylan28

Not much to report this past month. The jeep became a storage bin. Took a couple hours of digging to work on it yesterday! Been pretty busy but I did fab up a track bar bracket and I have some shackle hangers and shackles on the way from ruff stuff. I picked up a Rubicon Express adjustable track bar off a xj for next to nothing. The suspension will be done after that minus shocks. 20190827_175728.jpg20190824_193159.jpg

Tdylan28

I intend on spending as much time as my wife allows on the jeep this weekend X-D seriously though my shackles and shackle hangers showed up 4 days early. Ruff stuff really is great. So I'm going to spend the day welding and getting the rear springs situated. 20190831_141251.jpg

Last edited:

Tdylan28

Does anybody have experience using a steering box out of a 1999-2004 f250? I was going to use the xj box but it's a reverse throw and it wont fit where I need it to. The ford box is a forward throw and I assume it's better (beefier) than a xj box. Should fit pretty well if I can get power steering lines made to go from the xj pump to the ford box.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
A toyota IFS box could work too. It's reverse but sits on the outside of the frame (giving you a nicer slightly longer drag link with better angles)

edit: looking at your photos, the ifs box may not work either.

Tdylan28

A toyota IFS box could work too. It's reverse but sits on the outside of the frame (giving you a nicer slightly longer drag link with better angles)

edit: looking at your photos, the ifs box may not work either.
Yeh, I'd be concerned about the tire coming in contact with the box on full lock if it were mounted outside the frame.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Isuzu Rodeo box is really similar to a Toyota IFS box, but it sits on the inside of the frame instead of the outside....

The only thing I'd worry about on the Super Duty box is that they're pretty huge.

Tdylan28

Isuzu Rodeo box is really similar to a Toyota IFS box, but it sits on the inside of the frame instead of the outside....

The only thing I'd worry about on the Super Duty box is that they're pretty huge.
As long as it is a forward throw. I'll look into the rodeo box also.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The Toyota and Isuzu boxes are both the same, pitman arm points rearward. ("normal")

The FJ60 and FJ/FZJ80 boxes have forward-facing pitman arms, but they are on the outside of the frame again.

TerryHowe

I've never been impressed with Ford steering and I have a 2003 F350. Maybe just grind the key out f the pitman arm and install it whatever is convenient for you.

Tdylan28

Real nice u-joints on that intermediate shaft. Is that a "76" box, four bolt?
It's a 3 bolt out of a 2002. I was looking for a 4 bolt but the ones I did find were so rusty they looked like they came off the titanic or were leaking pretty bad.

Tdylan28

Got the steering box mostly installed. I still need to make a mounting point for the top bolt on the box. The intermediate shaft runs under the motor mount perfectly. I picked up an old cj2a steering column that I'm going to start modifying to work with this setup.
20200105_164726.jpg20200105_164944.jpg

Tdylan28

I've been working away on the willys a little bit here and there. No major updates but small progress is progress none the less. Ive got most of the trans tunnel patched back in and the trans shifter and tcase shifter are mounted and functional. I got a steering column out of a mid 60s Chevrolet c60 and shortened it to fit in the jeep. The cj2a column I had was just too hacked up. 20200424_230056.jpg20200404_145526.jpg