"Anti-theft" lugs

I had to get some of those damn anti-theft lugs off today without the little key adapter guy. Get a socket big enough to pound onto the lug with a hammer. Then, unscrew it with a breaker bar or something. Would work good for a frozen lug too. What?! I wasn't steeling wheels and tires off a Bronco!:D ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I know that MAC makes a removal set as well, pretty cool but not when you can just weld a nut on the end... I guess if I were in the wheel theft industry, I would use the Mac set rather than hauling around a welder...:D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
See, the Bronco is in the parking lot. I know of the weld on a nut trick(done it before). I tried the vice grips. Didn't work. So, I tried the socket, and wala.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
At champion tire (where I work) there is this funky socked that has kindof a spiral that gets smaller as it gets deeper in the socket. You just pound those on the round lug and stick the impact on. Stupid people that lose their wheel locks.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
I've done the socket/hammer trick too, but getting the nut back out of the socket can be a pain.

So, if it's so easy to remove them, how do you protect your wheels/tires from theft?

V-DAWG

someday
H-K said:
I've done the socket/hammer trick too, but getting the nut back out of the socket can be a pain.

So, if it's so easy to remove them, how do you protect your wheels/tires from theft?

You don't. If someone wants it bad enough it is theirs, and there ain't sh!t you can do about it.

jdub

Scrambler
I'm one of those stupid people. More hassle than anything I have straight normal lugs now.

Is it really a problem? My tires are hard enough to change. I wouldn't want to try to steal any.

kkemp

I've been considering getting some new ones. Mine can removed with a 1/2" socket wrench. A while back I decided to take them off and use normal nuts. Damned, if I didn't get my tires stolen. I actually got them back and the thief was prosecuted. The seemingly worthless security nuts are back on nowI was talking to the cop that arrested the guy and he said even the simple "locking" nuts like I had would deter most thieves.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
You don't. If someone wants it bad enough it is theirs, and there ain't sh!t you can do about it.

Yup. All anti theft lugs do is deter theft. I guess if it's harder to jack your stuff vs some other guys then they've helped somewhat... :-\