Any Cummins diesel experts out there?

So I've picked up a P-pump 12Valve and I'm hoping you guys can tell me what things I can do to strengthen it and get more power. I don't need a ton of power out of it but just whatever I can do for under a couple thousand dollars. I hear 500 hp is a reasonable number to expect.

Let's just say, if you had a couple thousand to put in to one what would you do?

I'm kind of dumb when it comes to diesels so I'm completely lost when talking about them but I've heard you can put larger injectors in them and cut the fuel plate....(I'm actually not even sure what a fuel plate is).

I've also read about the pin that can come loose under the timing cover.

What else should I know about these engines?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
You can get plenty of power just by moving the fuel plate. Been a while but 6 bolts? Slide the plate and a good bit more power.

Don't go too far or you'll fog out the lanes behind you, unless rolling coal is your objective.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
The fuel plate is a good way to run hot and smoke alot with no real gain. The biggest bang for your buck is going to be 4k governor springs. They are very easy to do and make a world of difference. The Fuel plate can help marginally but almost every truck I have done the stock fuel plate usually ends up back in place. I ran an 11 second p pumped 24 valve truck for awhile so I have lots of experience with tuning them if you need anything shoot me a PM.

The fuel plate is a good way to run hot and smoke alot with no real gain. The biggest bang for your buck is going to be 4k governor springs. They are very easy to do and make a world of difference. The Fuel plate can help marginally but almost every truck I have done the stock fuel plate usually ends up back in place. I ran an 11 second p pumped 24 valve truck for awhile so I have lots of experience with tuning them if you need anything shoot me a PM.

I will! Thanks for the offer. I've been researching this a little further and it looks like I can get a fuel package like this one

Then I will need
-Intake/exhaust
-Bump the timing
-Governor springs
-Probably a clutch

So what do the governor springs do that develops more power? Do they allow you higher RPM's?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I will! Thanks for the offer. I've been researching this a little further and it looks like I can get a fuel package like this one

Then I will need
-Intake/exhaust
-Bump the timing
-Governor springs
-Probably a clutch

So what do the governor springs do that develops more power? Do they allow you higher RPM's?

The governor springs allow more fuel all the way through the RPM range along with running higher RPMs. The stock governor springs actually start defueling around 2400 RPMs. If you do the 4k governor springs they will fuel hard all the way through your 3200 red line. Just cause they call them 4k springs doesnt mean you will actually rev your motor that high.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
If it were my truck I would order the governor spring kit and install just that for now, Its a huge improvement and I would be willing to bet that you will be happy with the output without being required to open the can of worms that big power will inevitably open. Then if you want more you can step up easily.

Hey Skippy. Is there any way to tell what has already been done to the truck? I suspect it might already have an after market spring. It has a boost and EGT gauge already. It also produces some smoke so I’m suspecting some work has been done to it.

I’ll pull the fuel plate and see if it’s been cut already.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Hey Skippy. Is there any way to tell what has already been done to the truck? I suspect it might already have an after market spring. It has a boost and EGT gauge already. It also produces some smoke so I’m suspecting some work has been done to it.

I’ll pull the fuel plate and see if it’s been cut already.

Not without tearing it all apart and seeing what parts are in it, If its smoking I would be willing to bet it has fuel plate work and maybe an AFC spring