Any decent beadlocks around $250/ea?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been looking but haven't found many options... any decent 17" beadlocks around $250/each? I dont mind steel wheels. Seems like even the DIY beadlocks aren't cheap anymore, once you buy the wheels, hardware and do the work.

Any ideas?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve heard nothing but good things about Battleborn.

There’s also Dirty Life but I’ve heard bad reviews here and there.

When I was thinking about DIY I think the cheapest wheels I found were on Summit for like $97/ea. Even with having Carlos make the puzzle-piece rings it’s just not worth it to me.

Also, if you’re looking for a nicer wheel you could contact Greg Mulkey about “racer” pricing on Racelines. I think my wheels were like $1,000. You could probably talk him into it even without competing just because of RME and the social media “presence” that comes with it.

My 2 cents

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
If i did it again id buy some built already. The biggest down fall about the diy is its hard to center the tire. I cant buy steel for what the established company's can sell the rings for. The tariffs have made all steel to increase so thats probably why they have increased so much.

RockChucker

Not sure what they are going for now, but about a year ago I picked up a new set of KMC RG XD231 wheels for like $240 each online. I still love the look of racelines better...but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the draining rings the KMCs have.

N-Smooth

I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the draining rings the KMCs have.

I drove in the snow last week. Still have water in my Racelines hahaha

It’s not really a concern for me but I can see how it’d drive some people crazy.

Last edited:

RockChucker

I drove in the snow last week. Still have water in my Racelines hahaha

It’s not really a concern for me but I can see how it’s drive some people crazy.

I did too....and I still have water in my racelines too. (stickies are on the KMCs) But I did hanging tree in the rain/mud last year and the wheels stayed gloriously clean

LJTim

I was just going to suggest Battleborn. I'm not a huge fan of steel wheels, but if your budget limits you to that, there you go.

joez

Any thought of internal beadlocks? I ran Stauns years ago and loved them, they just had some opportunities getting stuff stuck in the outer bead wheeling in muddy ravines in the Midwest. The new Pro Comp Vapors are real nice, and if you can catch them during a promo they may be close to the price you are looking for.

bamacpl

if ive learned anything over the years about wheelin' .....it is DONT go cheap. you get what you pay for & it will just cost ya more in the long run.

Greg

Admin
Maybe lowrange?

17's start at $380! So not really in my budget.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Battleborn.

There’s also Dirty Life but I’ve heard bad reviews here and there.

When I was thinking about DIY I think the cheapest wheels I found were on Summit for like $97/ea. Even with having Carlos make the puzzle-piece rings it’s just not worth it to me.

Also, if you’re looking for a nicer wheel you could contact Greg Mulkey about “racer” pricing on Racelines. I think my wheels were like $1,000. You could probably talk him into it even without competing just because of RME and the social media “presence” that comes with it.

My 2 cents

Yeah, that's been on my list for awhile.... but they're sold out and have been for months. I signed up to be emailed when they're back in stock awhile ago, but have heard nothing.

If i did it again id buy some built already. The biggest down fall about the diy is its hard to center the tire. I cant buy steel for what the established company's can sell the rings for. The tariffs have made all steel to increase so thats probably why they have increased so much.

Good info on centering the DIY beadlocks, yeah can't believe how much the rings are.... by the time you do the work, buy the hardware and wheels, they're no longer the affordable option!

Not sure what they are going for now, but about a year ago I picked up a new set of KMC RG XD231 wheels for like $240 each online. I still love the look of racelines better...but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the draining rings the KMCs have.

Hmmm.... I'm not seeing any KMC's in that price range.

I was just going to suggest Battleborn. I'm not a huge fan of steel wheels, but if your budget limits you to that, there you go.

Yeah, I like them.

Any thought of internal beadlocks? I ran Stauns years ago and loved them, they just had some opportunities getting stuff stuck in the outer bead wheeling in muddy ravines in the Midwest. The new Pro Comp Vapors are real nice, and if you can catch them during a promo they may be close to the price you are looking for.

I had a set of Stauns on my old TJ and found them to be a PITA to mount up and maintain, mine always lost pressure over time and the internal tubes would all be at different pressures. I think I'd be happy with a standard beadlock for this one.

if ive learned anything over the years about wheelin' .....it is DONT go cheap. you get what you pay for & it will just cost ya more in the long run.

Yeah, but I also don't want to send $300-400 per wheel.

I'm running Battleborn wheels. Price was right, quality is nice.

Good to know, now if they can just get them back in stock! I'd be happy with Battleborn wheels.

Greg

Admin
Battleborn Gatekeepers are back in stock if anyone else is looking. I have mine!

I have been very happy with my dirtlife wheels...when I got them they were like $255 each...now they are $378 each....crazy. They do have a double helix grip on the wheel, and dual drilled ring holes on the wheel, and a knurled grip on the ring...But at $378 they are starting to edge on other more mainstream wheels....

N-Smooth

Have you added up the cost of hardware as well as the work?
Don't forget about the part where you smear RTV on the weld bead and just pray it doesn't leak but at least one of them will probably have a slow leak :rofl:

Getting Raceline's for "racer pricing" (~$1k a set) literally takes a phone call to Greg Mulkey.

Yeah it's more money but how much more? Consider the cost of a decent set of steel wheels to use with the weld-on beadlocks and it's WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.