Any Dukes of Hazzard fans?

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
So, if you're anything like me your crazy dream fueled love affair with automotive madness began in your formative years, glued to the TV, indoctrinating your malleable young mind with the brilliance that is The Dukes of Hazzard. During the times that there wasn't an episode on (which was way too often in my opinion) my time was spent playing Dukes with my extensive Hot Wheels collection, pretending to be the Duke boys with my friends on our big wheels, or daydreaming about how one day I would have a General Lee of my own to hood slide, power slide, and jump over rivers, bridges, and corrupt police officers. Heck, even my old orange toboggan had a confederate flag and the words "General Lee" painted on it.

Well, time moved on, The Dukes was cancelled, my big wheel wore out, (though I still have the toboggan), and the price of Chargers has Gotten so astronomical that I've realized I'll likely never own one. Adulting isn't nearly as fun as I expected it would be.

That being said, those long ago days watching that seemingly invincible car began what would become a life long addiction to fast cars, off road shenanigans, orange Mopars, and I suppose to a small degree, fighting the system. I've been pondering on this a bit lately, and really noticing how much this show influenced me. Along with that, I've discovered a fantastic podcast, that has become a favorite of mine called The Kibbe and Finnegan Show. It got me wondering, does anyone else here listen to this? It's done by Rob Kibbe of The Muscle Car Place, and Mike Finnegan of Roadkill fame, and they basically just talk about cars, and review (in fantastic detail) episodes of The Dukes. Tons of great banter and lots of good behind the scenes Dukes stuff. I've also started re-watching the Dukes, since they are all on Amazon Prime now. My kids have even been getting into it. Man I enjoy that show.

The downside is that it's rekindled my desperate need for a General Lee in a painfully urgent way, to the point that I'm seriously contemplating selling off all of my other fun cars to try to somehow aquire one. This could be dangerous.

Anyway, I apologize for the digression, this post was way longer than intended (I blame the poor judgement on lack of sleep) but I figured I'd see if anyone else here had this same sickness.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Love the Kibbe and Finnegan show. I especially loved the recent episode celebrating Burt Reynolds and Cannonball Run.

I never really pined over the Chargers, but my favorite color is orange and my Jeep is a white 2 door I call Daisy. I recently purchased some decals to make Daisy appear more Duke's appropriate. 2018 limited edition Golden Eagle decals.

Daisy's well known Jeep was the iconic Golden Eagle edition. The Golden Eagles were all great looking rigs, and Jeep has tried a couple times to bring it back with later models. The updated decals were never quite right, and so the later models never quite struck home with the consumers.

2018 brought the latest iteration of the Golden Eagle. In my opinion, this one works. It's a modern interpretation of the original decals, with a distinctive nod to the most famous Golden Eagle driver of all time... Daisy.

492A00AE-5D5C-4140-A51F-1DAA6CB7A49D.jpeg398172D1-7086-488B-B273-2384A609D707.jpeg8F820B6F-9AC2-4E85-AEB4-E0CD5193E759.jpeg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I liked Cooter and his ancient tow truck and Jesse in the 2wd Ford. I do remember being out trick or treating in about ‘82 or so, stopping at a house that was playing the Dukes lead in. We headed for home to watch rather than getting more candy. I think Waylon Jennings as a narrator was also WAY undervalued but important for that show

boogie_4wheel

I was born in the early 80's. I still have my stamped metal Dukes of Hazzard lunch box in the attic! Unfortunately no thermos to go with it.
I need to get that down and post some pictures...

I haven't watch the Kibbe & Finnegan (loved Roadkill), I'll have to look it up.

ID Bronco

I've loved the Dukes my entire life, well since I was about 6 in 81'. They are the reason I liked bows too, I still want to shoot out a tire on a police car with an arrow! As a kid I loved Daisy and the car chases, but as I got older, I liked running from the cops and bucking the system even more.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have the first four seasons on DVD. I've been gradually re-watching them at my co-workers house, one or two episodes at a time.

I also have a serious desire to own a '69 Charger, and I have also been priced out of the market long ago. Sadly, I once owned one. Back when I was an apartment dweller in Provo, I bought a rolling chassis for $700 which was pretty solid... but I was in way over my head, so I sold it a year later. I would kill a hundred kittens to have that exact car back now.

<sigh>

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
Thanks to all who've replied, been stuck in training all day so I haven't been able to reply back. @Hickey, that's a killer Golden Eagle! I too loved Daisy and her Jeep. I've enjoyed learning more behind the scenes stuff on K&F about it. Also, I didn't realize there was the cool Easter egg in the eagle decals of the new one, that rules! Also, the Scraptona is great!

@mbryson, Cooter was always one of my fav's too. When I lived in TN we used to go to Cooter's Place. It's owned by Ben Jones and sells all kinds of Dukes memorobilia and stuff. Sometimes his GL would be out front and he'd be there himself. It was cool!

@Jinx, that is hilarious about the hazard switch!

@boogie_4wheel, I soooo wish I had a lunch box, but alas, no joy. I do have some Dukes coloring books and toys still though. The K&F show is a podcast, like a radio show, though they do post footage of it on Finnegans Garage and The Muscle Car Place. I highly recommend it!

@Jesser04, The Fall Guy was another good one, and his truck was great, but I always preferred the Powerwagon on Simon and Simon.

@ID Bronco, that's about the age and time I fell in love with it too. I too always wanted to fling some arrows Dukes style, and may or may not have "experimented" with my own versions of their "special" arrows in my misguided youth...

@TurboMinivan, man, Chargers are just the bees knees. I really think I may sell my other fun cars to try to get one. I had a chance years ago to trade a truck I had for a fairly solid '68 with a 383 in it. My wife wasn't on board and I walked away (all but in tears) and have regretted it ever since. It was my first dream car, and has never left the spot. I NEED ONE!!

DAA

I was definitely influenced by the Dukes. When I got my first car, the show was still on and I was a fan. I would often stop at the gas station after work, get a tank of gas, a 12 pack of beer, a pack of smokes and head out to the dirt roads and rally the crap out of my '68 Chevelle. Got pretty good at throttle steering. First time I ever drove the Pony Express from Faust to Gold Hill was in that car when I was 17, summer of '82, Dukes of Hazzard for 90 miles baby! Also good times! I could do a pretty good Rockford in that car too. We, the car and I, got in a lot of trouble together... Didn't help that I didn't have a drivers license the whole time I owned it...

- DAA

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
I was definitely influenced by the Dukes. When I got my first car, the show was still on and I was a fan. I would often stop at the gas station after work, get a tank of gas, a 12 pack of beer, a pack of smokes and head out to the dirt roads and rally the crap out of my '68 Chevelle. Got pretty good at throttle steering. First time I ever drove the Pony Express from Faust to Gold Hill was in that car when I was 17, summer of '82, Dukes of Hazzard for 90 miles baby! Also good times! I could do a pretty good Rockford in that car too. We, the car and I, got in a lot of trouble together... Didn't help that I didn't have a drivers license the whole time I owned it...

- DAA

Haha, that is awesome! Many, MANY good times were spent by myself and @spaggyroe in my orange '74 Powerwagon short bed 4wd driving Dukes style in high school and after. Man that was fun. I don't own anything now I'd dare do that in. I think that's a problem...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I enjoyed a bit of Dukes reruns when I was a kid, but I grew up with Magnum; which had a great cast of vehicles. The Ferrari 308GTS, GMC Jimmy, Wagoneer, Mercedes SL, VW Vanagon, and of course, the MD 500. One episode even had a Samurai! Man just thinking of Magnum brings a smile to my face; loved that show!

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
@Greg, I would LOVE a beater muscle car to Baja around in Dukes style.

@Stephen, totally agree, Magnum was the man, and definitely lived the life! I still love Ferrari 308's because of that show. I also loved Hardcastle and McCormic, but it doesn't hold up when you watch it now. Not like Magnum or The Dukes anyway.

DAA

So I'm a bit older than most of you. And it was already in re-runs by the time I was watching it, but the Jeep in Rat Patrol was an early obsession. They were always jumping it off the top of sand dunes and stuff. And it had a machine gun!

- DAA

Attachments

• rat_patrol_jeep_.jpg
    rat_patrol_jeep_.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 7

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
So I'm a bit older than most of you. And it was already in re-runs by the time I was watching it, but the Jeep in Rat Patrol was an early obsession. They were always jumping it off the top of sand dunes and stuff. And it had a machine gun!

- DAA

My dad was a Rat Patrol fan.