Any land lords ever had the pleasure of evicting tenants?

I don't have any personal experience, but I think evictions with storage are definitely easier to handle, but the volume is also pretty high for the amount of rent you are charging. Even small storage unit yards have one or two sales per year of units full of seized goods.

comingdown

Vacation rentals... Hands down. More profit less risk, as soon as I can I'll buy another. I get a week what I would get a month. I have spent $300 this year in repairs.

I wouldn't say less risk. Vacation rentals are good in a strong economy, but when everyone is barely making ends meet, vacation falls by the wayside. But that is merely my opinion. If I had to choose between a roof over my head and a week vacation I'd pick the roof, but again that may not be normal.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have a friend with a vacation rental. He was saying that it is a HUGE headache because people come in and party for the weekend, damage stuff, and then leave with no real recourse. He says the cleaning and maintenance is too much.

It's fun to hear both sides.

I imagine location and size has a big role in the type of vacationers that use the unit.

Caleb

My parent's rental condo was much like Brian's and Cody's. If it could have a hole in it, it did (doors, windows, walls, carpet, appliances, etc). The place was trashed. My Dad was there fixing it full-time for a couple months, I was there helping a bunch as were my other brothers. It took months to get it fixed back up. They had several renters and each one was worse than the last. They sold it after the last one instead of trying to go through that again.

It's made me weary of doing a rental. I've though a lot about doing a vacation rental but worry about the scenario Brian mentioned. If I do a vacation rental, it would be something I let an agency completely manage, and it would be something that I don't have to rent to be able to have.

comingdown

I don't have any personal experience, but I think evictions with storage are definitely easier to handle, but the volume is also pretty high for the amount of rent you are charging. Even small storage unit yards have one or two sales per year of units full of seized goods.
The process is the same actually from what I have been reading on the interwebs legal jargon pages. The only benefit is not having to move their stuff after you evict them, but still have to serve them papers, and then get a judgment against them, and then put your own lock on the place. Also less damage potential. But, if I had to pick between 100 storage units and 100 apartments I'd do apartments hands down. More risk, but more reward.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I wouldn't say less risk. Vacation rentals are good in a strong economy, but when everyone is barely making ends meet, vacation falls by the wayside. But that is merely my opinion. If I had to choose between a roof over my head and a week vacation I'd pick the roof, but again that may not be normal.

90% of my renters are from other countries. This year I have had 4 people from France, 2 Hong Kong, 6 from Canada, 1 from Florida, 1 from Ogden, 9 from the UK and many others... my average stay is 4 nights. I rent to Friends for 50% plus cleaning fee. Next year I am raising my rate by $15 a night to $143.00 plus $5 each person over 4. I stayed there last weekend and I would ever know I had rented it out.

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Anyone Interested, Last 2 of these that sold were at $124000. I paid $67000 3 years ago and in 2006 new mine sold for $205000.. I dont ever think they will be that high again, but its easy to manage and I can hook you up with an awesome cleaning lady. We will bring in over $12k in revenue this year and we use it on all the big weekends, we easily could bring in $15k, we only have it on Airbnb and tripadvisor because my wife doesn't want to manage more sites.

http://www.ksl.com/homes/listing/40025550

Last edited:

comingdown

So, I'm pretty sure we got the house rented. They are supposed to bring money tomorrow so then it will be official. So, that's good news.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My 2bed/2bth condo will be ready by the weekend. Located in West Jordan $875.. Just incase anyone is looking.

comingdown

So did the last folks ever come and get their stuff?

Just curious.

I have messaged her on Facebook because I didn't know what else to do. She said she is planning on it but trying to get a spot to put it. So, short answer is no, but she might.........

- - - Updated - - -

My 2bed/2bth condo will be ready by the weekend. Located in West Jordan $875.. Just incase anyone is looking.
Nice plug, I like it.

comingdown

Okay, officially rented. Sunday is the last day I have to store her crap, but she asked for another week and I agreed. I do have a heart after all, even if it is black and shriveled after this experience. New guys seem nice. Hopefully it goes much better.

russellben

Like long term vacation rentals can have their ups and downs but it's sure is nice to pick up a months rent in one weekend but vacation renters can really be hard on a place in a weekend too

Sent from my ????????

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think you are right to be upset. You still had one more day on your lease. Other people should not have been allowed to move in… But I am sure they were pushing for it because they had to be out of their other place also.
You could totally take the landLord to court and sue for one day rent and the cleaning fee… But that will cost you more to do than just ignoring it. Kind of a lose-lose situation.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
You could totally take the landLord to court and sue for one day rent and the cleaning fee… But that will cost you more to do than just ignoring it. Kind of a lose-lose situation.
Faaaaaalse. A) He has no legal ground to stand on, he trespassed/signed a new tenant when you still had legal residency, and billed you for cleaning before you had a chance to clean. B) He won’t want to fight it, he knows he will lose C) small claims doesn’t have attorneys, so it wont cost you anything, D) There are lots of laws protecting against predatory landlords, E) He probably gouges other people all the time and pushes them around, so you‘re making a stand on everyone’s behalf, F) he sounds like a total douche.

So, Win-Win-Win-Win-Win-Win by my count! Damages should include pain and suffering, plus punitive damages to discourage him from screwing the next few guys :cool:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Faaaaaalse. A) He has no legal ground to stand on, he trespassed/signed a new tenant when you still had legal residency, and billed you for cleaning before you had a chance to clean. B) He won’t want to fight it, he knows he will lose C) small claims doesn’t have attorneys, so it wont cost you anything, D) There are lots of laws protecting against predatory landlords, E) He probably gouges other people all the time and pushes them around, so you‘re making a stand on everyone’s behalf, F) he sounds like a total douche.

So, Win-Win-Win-Win-Win-Win by my count! Damages should include pain and suffering, plus punitive damages to discourage him from screwing the next few guys :cool:

Double false.
Small claims only allows ACTUAL cost to be recovered, not pain/suffering/etc.
Cleaning and 1 day rent costs are what, less than $300?? Filing a claim cost around $150, plus time off work to go to court.

Nothing forces the loser to pay, unless you file again for garnishments, so it cost you more again.. and if you don’t have his employer or bank account number good luck getting it through.

I’ve been sued and have sued multiple times. It has never benefited me financially and has always been a loss.. but sometimes it just needs to be done on principle.

Being a pain to him over and over will maybe net a full return of the cleaning fee. Or it might not.

Homefryy

I haven’t heard what the fee is yet other than “a couple hundred bucks” and to me that already is preposterous.

The other reason of my hesitancy to fight it is for needing to put him as a contact on future renting applications. He did say before moving out that he would leave me a good tenant recommendation.. would hate for him to tell my next landlord that I fought the security deposit and stuff and potentially not being rented to in future.

I know I don’t have to put him as a contact though.

It looks like the small claims court filing fee is only $35 in Hawaii.

In Hawaii the landlord is required to give you your security deposit back within 14 days and give you a written itemized list including receipts for anything withheld. If they landlord wrongfully withholds any amount of the deposit then you can be awarded up to 3x that amount in damages as well as court costs and its all handled in small claims court.

It seems like an easy case for you to win if you have good documentation that the landlord moved somebody in early. Seems worth it to me for probably half a day and the chance to get $300. Scummy landlords screw people over all the time on security deposits and most people aren't familiar with the legal requirements so they don't fight it. Personally I would tell him you expect your full deposit back and will be filing in small claims if you don't get it.