Any machinist/hobbyist machinist here? Machinist tools related!

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
My father-in-law was a manual machinist his entire career. He passed away last Labor Day.

He left me a 40+ year collection of machinist tools. They have no sentimental value to me!

I was wondering if there would be a market for these items. I'm sure when he got a project, he'd order 5 of every tool he needed, used only 1, the rest went into his tool box. You name it, I probably have it. My wife says there's boxes of brand new tools (endmills, taps, dies, lathe cutting). A lot of the stuff still has the plasti-dip(?) protective coating on them. I bet there's thousands of pieces there. There's also sets of calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, etc. From the googling around, some of this stuff could be rather expensive.

Curious to know. Thanks!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I could use several items you have listed. Mostly the measuring items, but would be very interested to go through the cutting stuff as well. Do you have the machines as well or just the tooling?

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Wow! Catch me off-guard!!! :oops:

No machines, just tooling.

I called a machine shop local to me. He offered me $250 for everything. I know it's worth more than that. Even at a buck a piece, there's several thousand dollars worth of tooling.

Let get a pic or 2 of just what I have in my garage. I haven't seen his Kennedy tool boxes lately, but my wife say the wheels are on the verge of collapse just from the weight.

BRB!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'd interested in spring dividers, engineer squares, measuring squares, and probably other stuff I can't of right now. Mostly stuff that would cross over from machine work to woodworking.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
how much for all of it?
I have no clue!

Wife and I are trying to figure out how to get it home to our house. Her mother suffers from dementia, and she thinks we put my FIL in a nursing facility. She says she's waiting for him to come home. Our luck, she'll have a lucid moment, and notice the tool boxes missing. My wife has been discarding 56 years of marriage over the last several months, so far she hasn't noticed that.

We're starting to work on getting it in our possesion. Once we do that, I'll get a better grasp on exactly what is there. I still haven't laid eyes on his precision measuring tools.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So my parents neighbor is a machinist. He was telling them that they had to shut down their shop because they couldn't find anyone to learn or interested in working in the shop. I guess they are doing more consulting and design work now rather than actually making the parts. They'd have recent high school grads come in and get hired then walk off at lunch or just not show up the next day.

Seeing @zmotorsports work here and my long fascination with this old tony and the other YouTubers it blew my mind it would be that hard to find people willing to work and earn a good wage while learning. If I was 10 years younger without my kids and the mortgage I have I'd break their door down for that opportunity. I have so much respect for machinists and those who make things with their hands.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Whoa!!! 😲

I spoke with Mike this morning. Overwhelming to say the least!

Everything will be for sale, but not as of yet. When it is, I'll post in the appropriate forum. Mike and I both agree, I'd rather see this stuff go to a 'hobbyist', as opposed to a machine shop that can afford to purchase and write off their tooling supplies on next years taxes. I will at first only post it for sale here.

Maybe I can make someone feel like the 'end of the rainbow' finally landed in their backyard!!!

I'll post more pics later.