Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

Well-Known Member
Location
UT
I'd buy a used spot rollik 607. My buddy has a med and an xl for $3500.

Pivots run longer than a lot of other bikes (might be a good thing). Those rocky mountains are cool.

other bikes i love in that price range:
- used pivot switchblade
- used ibis mojo 3 or hd4
- evil wreckining or calling or offering (i'd get the calling or possibly the offering)
- spot mayhem 509

All the other bikes i like on paper are over $4k and too new (sb130, sb150, and firebird 29)

Ill bet santa cruz comes out with a LT 29er soon with bronson/nomad linkage.
 
Last edited:
If you were to buy a bike with a budget of 3-4k what would you buy? I am thinking a Rocky Instinct Alloy 50 BC edition, the Scott Ransom 920, or a used 2017 Firebird 27.5. I should probably be on an XL.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2466644/
http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct/2019?tid=72
https://contenderbicycles.com/product/2019-scott-ransom-920/

I am currently on a Scott Genius that I have added a Fox 36 fork running at 160mm. I am not planning on selling my genius but keeping it as a loaner bike.
I just bought a carbon Instinct 50. It is not the BC edition but I'm running 2.5's on it and I think it's perfect. I am loving it so far. Since the 19 models are out, you can get a screaming deal on an 18 and they didn't change a thing. I paid right in the middle of your price range for a brand new bike a month ago.
 

sixstringsteve

Well-Known Member
Location
UT
It looks like you're leaning towards long travel enduro bikes. Id get a precious ng en nomad v3. It ate up bumps better than anything ive ridden, and climbed extremely well. Theyre pretty cheap now. The only downside is that they tgey arent boost, but who cares
 

Samersen

Active Member
Location
Heber City
I spent my Saturday at 6 different bike shops while my wife went to the Pinners Conference (best trade off).

I appreciated everyones feed back! I rode the Instinct on Friday afternoon and though it was a little to small for me (I knew that would be the case) It did get a few PR's on my local loop. But it felt very similar to my current bike, I wasn't wowed.

I am trying to figure out if I should move away from the "enduro/all mountain" bike. I am currently on a 2015 Scott Genius (27.5) that has 160 front 150 rear. I don't plan on selling my Genius but keeping it for a loaner bike and back up bike. This will be a second bike so I am wondering if I should get either a fat bike or a shorter travel 29er. It is a hard decision because I don't think that there is really a bad bike out there right now in that price range.

That all being said I found that Canyon is have their end of year sale and they have the Strive CF 8.0 down to $4k ($4.3k out the door). https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/strive/strive-cf-8-0#

I feel like these bigger bikes are like driving a lifted Jeep, over kill for most trails around here but there are times I am sure glad to have it when things get hairy.

What would you guys do? Replace the Genius, go full enduro with like a Scott Ransom or the Canyon, or go short/mid travel? I have been having the hardest time deciding.
 

Samersen

Active Member
Location
Heber City
I'd buy a used spot rollik 607. My buddy has a med and an xl for $3500.

Pivots run longer than a lot of other bikes (might be a good thing). Those rocky mountains are cool.

other bikes i love in that price range:
- used pivot switchblade
- used ibis mojo 3 or hd4
- evil wreckining or calling or offering (i'd get the calling or possibly the offering)
- spot mayhem 509

All the other bikes i like on paper are over $4k and too new (sb130, sb150, and firebird 29)

Ill bet santa cruz comes out with a LT 29er soon with bronson/nomad linkage.
Does he have a link for the his Spot? I would need an XL for sure!
 

benjy

A lot of loose ends
Premium Member
Location
Sand Hollow
I feel like these bigger bikes are like driving a lifted Jeep, over kill for most trails around here but there are times I am sure glad to have it when things get hairy.
I don't claim to be any sort of expert in the matter... But I have demo'd a handful of shorter travel bikes (120-130mm 650b). And I actually have had the opposite feeling as you described. I like the feeling of being outgunned a little. Being bucked around on a trail when my normal bike soaks it up a little more. Could just be the change of pace, who knows, but I always have more fun. Wheelies, popping over random rocks, etc.

That said, it's a good thing my budget won't allow for a new bike anytime soon, because I have no idea what direction I would go.
 

sixstringsteve

Well-Known Member
Location
UT
X2 on what ben said. Also, in my mind, there are definitely some awful bikes in the $3k price range.


Itll all depend on your skill level, terrain, teails you ride, and what feel you like. Enduro bikes are super fun... when the trail points downhill steeply. For everyday riding, they're way more bike than most people need. Id say 15% of the trails i ride warrant an enduro bike, and the other 85% would be great on my hardtail or a 130mm 29er. My rollik is great, and it's my favorite bike, but most enduro bikes hold a lot of riders back from progressing skill-wise.

A really fun bike for all round riding is an evil following mb (its kinda heavy and isnt the nest climber, but it's fun). Also, a really good hardtail woth awesome geo is so much fun. I had a blast riding my chameleon on ahab.
 

Samersen

Active Member
Location
Heber City
That canyon looks awesome, I'd love to throw a leg over it and see if a 170mm can really climb like an xc bike!
I agree! I don't know if it is really possible with them being a D2C company.

X2 on what ben said. Also, in my mind, there are definitely some awful bikes in the $3k price range.


Itll all depend on your skill level, terrain, teails you ride, and what feel you like. Enduro bikes are super fun... when the trail points downhill steeply. For everyday riding, they're way more bike than most people need. Id say 15% of the trails i ride warrant an enduro bike, and the other 85% would be great on my hardtail or a 130mm 29er. My rollik is great, and it's my favorite bike, but most enduro bikes hold a lot of riders back from progressing skill-wise.

A really fun bike for all round riding is an evil following mb (its kinda heavy and isnt the nest climber, but it's fun). Also, a really good hardtail woth awesome geo is so much fun. I had a blast riding my chameleon on ahab.
I agree! I have worried about that big of bike holding back my skill development, but I find myself having more fun each ride and see my times getting faster on Strava segments. I do find myself waiting for my riding friends longer and more frequently... so that's neat!

What are some bikes you would avoid in that range? I am finding some that I just don't think are speced as nice as others. Like the carbon stumpy vs a carbon 50 Rocky. The Rocky's seem to have better components for the price.
 

Samersen

Active Member
Location
Heber City
I just bought a carbon Instinct 50. It is not the BC edition but I'm running 2.5's on it and I think it's perfect. I am loving it so far. Since the 19 models are out, you can get a screaming deal on an 18 and they didn't change a thing. I paid right in the middle of your price range for a brand new bike a month ago.
What do you like about it? Where did you pick it up at?
 

sixstringsteve

Well-Known Member
Location
UT
If youre comparing components across the board, then all bikes nowadays come well specced (except yetis and pivots which are $1k overpriced).

To me, its all about the frame. Im not trying to find the cheapest bike with a full xx1 groupo because gx or even nx is good enough for me. When i search for a bike, i focus on the frame, how it rides, and it's geo. Everything else can be swapped. If you buy a bike with great parts, but the frame isnt exciting to ride, it doesnt matter how cheap it is.
 

sixstringsteve

Well-Known Member
Location
UT
Here are some of my least favorite bikes that would otherwise look great on paper. All of these are 100% due to suspension kinematics and geometry characteristics, not components.

Yt jeffsey (29 and 27.5)
Orbea occam TR
Most specialized bikes (sorry to those who love em). The new stumpy 29er is ok, but still not amazing to me.
Most scott bikes (im not a fan of suspension that will bob like crazy unless you lock it out)
yeti sb 4.5
All the liv bikes
 

Samersen

Active Member
Location
Heber City
Awesome, thanks Steve! I guess I have limited experience riding different frames, how do you tell the differences on frames? I always thought a bike with a fox 36 160mm, dpx rear and a head angle of 65 and a seat angle of 75 would all ride about the same.
 

sixstringsteve

Well-Known Member
Location
UT
If they were hardtails, youd be right. With full suspension, you could have 10 different bikes with those same exact numbers/components that ride completely differently.

You tell the difference by riding them, and watching good reviews of each one. A good place to start is watching the bible of bike videos each year. Most dw links ride similar. Most vpp bikes ride similar, and most horst link bikes ride similar, but even then, there are differences.

Also, chainstay length, fork offset, and suspension curve make a huge difference.

An event like outerbike is money well spent.
 
What do you like about it? Where did you pick it up at?
I bought it at Utah mountaining biking in Lehi. Mike there is great to work with.

I have always rode longer travel 26" bikes, my last two were giant Reigns. The instinct has a slack head angle that is adjustable with the ride 9. It is pretty tall but felt lower in the corners than some other med travel 29s. It is quick and handles fast but the big 29 tires roll over things so easily. I am faster on every segment I have ridden on strava.
 
Top