Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Corban_White

You're welcome to my back yard! It's better than primitive, it's got full hookups!
My wife and kids will actually be gone that weekend, so you guys are even welcome to crash in the house. Count me in for riding on Saturday for sure

Well, we had an awesome weekend! Thanks a ton to @benjy for the hospitality and great riding! @jsudar didn't break his bike, even though he tried so that was good too. What an awesome group! Also, footdown is way more fun than I thought it would be!
IMG_20190202_104048665.jpg
IMG956953.jpgIMG_20190202_122002171_HDR.jpgIMG_20190202_121846352.jpgIMG_20190201_173525243_HDR.jpgIMG_20190201_122606753.jpgIMG956960.jpg

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Just throwing this out there, I've got a BrandX Ascend II 125mm 31.6 externally routed dropper for sale, or trade for the right 30.8 post.

It's literally new in box, never been installed.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I was too busy having fun and gasping for air to take any pics, but Josh and I hit Dimple Dell this morning and discovered that snowbiking is ossum.

Was good to get out from under the hood of the F*rd. Was a good time, looking forward to more adventurous rides. Also I'm digging my new "fat" bike.

Corban_White

....and discovered that snowbiking is ossum.

This is a snowbike:

This is a fat bike on snow:

spesh-fatboy-comp-carbon-01-1463485592391-lb6qu4uzfsqr-630-80.jpg

That is all. ;)

jsudar

Anyone interested in going to the National Handmade Bicycle Show with me? Here's a link: NAHBS It's in Sacramento, March 15-17. It's twenty-ish dollars per day to get into the show. Lots of super sweet handmade bikes. I went when it came to SLC in 2017 and spent most of Saturday looking around. I think Sacramento will probably draw more builders than SLC did.
I don't have any super firm plans except I want to go. It's a 10-11 hour drive or flights look like they're around $200. If I drive out, I may take my bike and try to get a ride in. Never been to Sacramento before, so I don't know if there's any good riding nearby. Just throwing this out there to see if anyone if interested...

Samersen

What is everyones thoughts on fitness and nutrition when it comes to biking? I lost nearly 40lbs from Feb 18 - Sept 18. And I have bumped up a little bit but have platued at 215 since last September.
I am signed up to ride the Carson City Off Road end of June and would like to be competitive on that ride.
I have been doing HIIT classes at my gym and spin classes for the last year. I am thinking of trying cross fit until June or so.
For the last few months I have been doing the Dialed Health Off Season Enduro Training https://dialedhealth.com/shop and have really enjoyed it I feel stronger on the bike but I am also vain and looking to drop the last few % of body fat. Dialed Health just put out a mid season training plan I have thought about but I am a social creature so doing my own thing at the gym is boring and I have lost motivation. (Its not as fun as the classes were)
When i get out on my road bike or do spin classes I try to do structured training rides and follow a Watt profile for the most part, I have gotten a lot of valuable information from the Trainer Road podcast about this.
Has anyone done Cross Fit? While prepping for races (when I say races I mean pushing myself and trying to have a competitive edge)

Caleb

My only comment I'll make is be very careful if you decide to do Cross Fit. There's a reason it's one of the leading causes of injuries in the gym. The movements you do combined with the push to do it as quick/as many as possible can cause injuries very easily. I'm sure there are many on here that have done Cross Fit for a long time without injuries but I bet they can't say that someone from their "box" hasn't recently been injured while at the gym or as a result of the workouts.

I'd suggest finding a gym that does the intense workouts you're likely looking for but isn't Cross Fit. If you're looking for a suggestion, Pure Workout in Murray is pretty awesome. I went there for three years before building the gym in my basement.

Tonkaman

My only comment I'll make is be very careful if you decide to do Cross Fit. There's a reason it's one of the leading causes of injuries in the gym. The movements you do combined with the push to do it as quick/as many as possible can cause injuries very easily. I'm sure there are many on here that have done Cross Fit for a long time without injuries but I bet they can't say that someone from their "box" hasn't recently been injured while at the gym or as a result of the workouts.

I'd suggest finding a gym that does the intense workouts you're likely looking for but isn't Cross Fit. If you're looking for a suggestion, Pure Workout in Murray is pretty awesome. I went there for three years before building the gym in my basement.

I completely agree

Tebbsjeep

I just picked up a new to me bike. It appears to be in almost new condition, but I'm sure it needs a good once over. What are some must have bike specific tools do you guys suggest I get? I know I could pay a shop $100 to go through it, but I'd rather spend that money once on tools and do it myself.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I just picked up a new to me bike. It appears to be in almost new condition, but I'm sure it needs a good once over. What are some must have bike specific tools do you guys suggest I get? I know I could pay a shop $100 to go through it, but I'd rather spend that money once on tools and do it myself.

Uh, depends on the bike. You can do most of what you want to do with your basic cycling multitool or what you've already got in the toolbox, but there are some specific tools you'll want as you dig deeper.

The newer the bike is, the less you'll need crescent wrenches and sockets and the more you'll need Allen wrenches. Preferably ball nose Allen wrenches, the ones with the big grippy T handles are nice but they don't always fit in a tight spot so a set of L wrenches ought to be first. An in/lb torque wrench didn't used to be a must-have, but with carbon fiber parts it's becoming almost a requirement. A chain tool is good to have, and a cable/housing cutter isn't absolutely necessary but makes replacing cables a lot easier. Spoke wrenches to true your wheels, cone wrenches if you're going to be rebuilding hubs. A chain whip and cassette tool (these are specific to which casssette you have), and there are a couple specific bottom bracket tools you might need to service the bottom bracket, depending on which you have. A brake bleed kit if you have hydraulic brakes, and a shock pump if you have air shocks. You'll want a bottle of Triflow or some other light lube, and you'll want a bottle of your favorite chain lube too - Utah generally calls for a dry/graphite lube. I use a mild dishwasher soap and soft bristle brush for general cleaning, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol for degreasing. You'll want a bottle of sealant if you have tubeless tires and a patch kit and rubber cement if you don't, and you'll want a couple spare tubes in the right size either way just in case. Some kind of waterproof grease is good to have, and if you have carbon parts be sure you use carbon-specific paste when you're assembling because some of those parts don't like standard grease.

Tebbsjeep

I didn't want to spend a ton of money, so I bought a used 2015 Diamondback Syncer'. It seems to have decent components, but I'm new to mtb stuff so what do I know. I noticed when I picked it up the front hub was a little loose, and the derailer needs some adjustment. Other than that it's pretty clean. I wanted to know if I really needed the cone wrenches and it sounds like I do. I have a lot of the usual tools but I need to pick up the specialty ones. I feel I'm perfectly capable of the repairs, it's just new things to learn is all.