Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

I'm going to be coaching on my local NICA team. I'm pretty excited to get involved and share the stoke of mountain biking with the local kids here.

Also, I'm going to be at outerbike in Moab. Anyone else going this year? I think i'm going to host a hardtail party ride... we'll see.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
You're gonna be a killer coach. I'm hoping to coach Ian's team in a couple years here when I can get a normal schedule.

I'm so conflicted about Outerbike. I'd love to come to one and check out a bunch of bikes I can't afford, but then I remember that Ashley Korenblatt gets a tiny slice of my event fee and it makes me sour on the whole thing. It's stupid, I know.

sixstringsteve

What's your beef with ashley? Is it because she doesn't support utah owning what is now federal land?

What I've read and heard about her from her friends has been pretty aligned with my views, but I dont know everything about her.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Eh, I think I'm against Utah taking over any Federal land unless/until the state shows that they have the skill and money to manage it and guarantees that it'll stay in public hands. Probably one of the few things I agree with her on. My gripe with her is she regularly sides with SUWA and is 100% in favor of recreational access when it benefits her businesses and 100% against it when it doesn't. She's a big government neo-liberal "environmentalist" who's on the opposite side of almost everything I'm for in terms of land management, and she's vocal and active about it and I don't like her.

sixstringsteve

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks for explaining it. She definitely benefits financially from outerbike, so I can understand your desire not to go. You can always swing by for free and check out the vendors and not ride any bikes if you want.

rholbrook

My son Harrison has gone to Outer Bike in Sun Valley earlier this summer and just last week in Crescent Butte, CO, with a company. I can't say much about it right now but they have been doing a lot of filming of him doing crazy things as well as working their booth. I expect him to be in Moab with them for Outer Bike. He has been having the time of his life this summer riding some really cool places. About a month ago they took him helicopter biking so they could film. He had a riot. We just took him and all his stuff to USU last night and of course, his bike had to go as well. He really wants to be an engineer and design for a company involved in this industry. The kid eats, sleeps and drinks mountain bikes. If any of you are down there during Outer Bike I am sure he would love to go ride. I know that Harrison and Steve will hook up, in his eyes, Steve is a rock star.

sixstringsteve

Harry is a rockstar. Pretty soon he's going to realize just how lame I am, but until then, I'm going to enjoy riding killer trails with him. Harry is a great kid, and I wish him the best studying engineering. Mountain biking is exploding, and it's only going to keep growing. I'm stoked to hear he's had so many great opportunities this summer; he deserves it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
depends on what you like to ride and whether you prefer lots of grip (and lots of weight), or low weight (and low grip). I like Maxxis Minion DHR2s front and rear, but they're one of the heaviest tires out there. If you're running plus tires, I highly recommend this setup in a 2.8. But be warned, plus tires are EXPENSIVE!

What compounds are you running? My Highroller 2s that came on mine are a little low in the tread now and I've been looking at the DHR2s. I like the stickyness of the 3C maxxterra but I've only began researching the various compounds... I just don't want to take a step backward.

sixstringsteve

3c is nice. I run the dual compounds cuz I'm cheap and they last longer, and I'm in slickrock country where everything wears extra fast.

The 3cs have 3 different layers of rubber with different durometers. The top layer is sticky and offers great grip. Layer 2 is harder than a dual compound.

So once a 3c wears through layer 1 to layer 2 (maybe 50-60% knob height?), the rubber is pretty pretty hard and traction drops off.

So 3c has the best traction for the first 40-50% of its life, then its worse than dual compound.

Dual compound has 90% the traction of 3c, but lasts a bit longer.

Both are great. The reason they have 3 compounds for 3c is because if they made the whole tire of the sticky rubber, the knobs would be too soft and would feel squirmy.

Last edited:

Tebbsjeep

So I went and rode the Rush Trail in draper last weekend and had an absolute riot. I definitely want to ride there more often. After riding the trail I was thinking that it would be nice having like 140mm travel vs. my 120mm travel that I currently have. Is it just as simple as buying a new fork with the desired travel, or do I have to get one for a different wheel size so my head angle doesn't change? I think @sixstringsteve did this for his hardtail build. This fork popped up on ksl and I wonder if it would work. I have 27.5 non boost rims right now.

Tebbsjeep

I have a 2015 Diamondback Sync'r. I believe it has 32 stanchions right now. I'm a hefty 190-200lbs on any given day. More with my hydration pack that I always have.

sixstringsteve

Cool bike! A 140mm fork on that should be fun. I'd recommend a fox 34 or a 36 or a pike or a helm or something like that. At more than 160 lbs, when riding aggressively, you're going to want more than 32mm stanchions, especially as you add travel.

I've got a 2018 Fox 36 Factory 160mm 27.5 boost fork (I also have a 140mm air spring for it, taking travel to 140mm). I know you said you're not running boost wheels, but with some spacers you could make it work. I'm not sure what your budget is, but it's an option.

I also really like the fox rhythm 34. You can pick 'em up for $300-400. Not the fanciest thing out there, but I think they feel fantastic and they're cheap and strong. Good luck.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I was amazed at the difference going from 32 to 34 inch stanchions made.

That fork you're looking at isn't just going to be noodlier than yours due to the extra length, it's also going to steer a little more sluggish and put you higher in the air. That's going to be counterproductive on stuff like Rush.

sixstringsteve

It will raise your bars 20mm, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on your existing body position on the bike and what you like. It's also going to slacken your head angle about 1*, which is noticeable.

Kevin is right, it may make steering a little more sluggish at slow speeds, but it's also going to make your bike more stable at speed (less twitchy. This will b)e beneficial on rush and other steep and fast trails. There's a reason a lot of newer bikes are way slacker than bikes even 2 years ago.

The longer fork will also raise your bb a hair, and will make your seat angle 1* slacker (both bad things). That means when climbing steep stuff seated, your center of gravity will be pulling you toward the back of the bike, making it want to wheelie a bit more. You can slide your saddle forward in its rails to compensate for this.

Do you know what your head angle is right now? In my opinion, most hardtails benefit from a slacker head angle on fast and steep terrain.

Tebbsjeep

From what I can find, it's 68 degrees. Are there options for an increased travel fork without throwing off the geometry of the bike? I already suck at climbing so I can't imagine hating it any more than I already do. I'm not concerned so much with how fast I can finish a trail, it's just all about having fun. I don't really have to much to complain about the bike. For my skill level right now it is probably adequate. I just want a little more plush ride.

sixstringsteve

I wonder if you could fine tune the settings on your fork to suit your riding style better, and save $$ all around. I recommend this shock pump: https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Bicycl...ords=digital+shock+pump&qid=1568993642&sr=8-7

And there are some great videos online about tuning your suspension.

No, changing your fork changes your geometry. to be honest, 20mm more travel isn't going to change your geo a ton. And if you have a 68* hta, running a 140mm fork to get a 67* hta would outweight the downsides to me. But everyone's different.