Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
now I have a fully functional wheel dishing tool for more $$$ than a mid grade Park tool would have cost me. Plus four hours of my time. But somehow... it seems cooler

:rofl: It is definitely cooler. Your projects may not always make financial sense, but they are always way more interesting than any mass produced product.

Speaking of projects, where are the 5010 updates?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
To add more anecdotal evidence. I ride with a buy my size 215# who is a gorilla. I follow him a lot and he is not as fast as me but scary as hell to watch. He just smashes through everything. He bent 3 cassettes in one year and was pissed the bike show wouldn't warranty them. After the third one I was watching how he rides, he constantly shifts under load. All the cassette's had one or 2 teeth twisted and broken.

I also rode THE with a 300lb power lifter type dude. He was trying to pedal up one of the ledges on porcupine rim and wedged the tire in an undercut, while standing on the pedals. Chain snapped instantly. I am not an engineer and he was on a rented bike so who knows the miles on that chain, be he pulled the outer part of a link from the pin/bushing. I fixed it cause he didn't have any tools.

I am also fat and ride somewhat aggressively. I have never broken a chain. Did twist a master link once though. I also change then pretty frequently because they are cheaper than cassettes.

jsudar

I'm around 220 geared up and the only times I have ever broken a chain was when shifting under load (only made that mistake once) or when I bashed the chainring into something and split the chain (usually this was on the BMX.) I've never had any trouble with the quick links. Maybe I'm not aggressive? I've destroyed lots of freewheels on my trials bike.

jsudar

Speaking of projects, where are the 5010 updates?

I glued it back together with JB Weld and I got myself a sweet deal on a FOX DHX2 coil shock for it, but then progress halted after I couldn't fit it in my frame jig. Then I spent two weeks designing a new frame jig in CAD. I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, because it's about $1k in materials and lots and lots of machining. I may just build one of those Certiflat fixturing tables and make some jig parts to build bicycle frames on that instead. The table would be useful for building things besides bike frames too. Still have my road bike and my son's frame in the build queue as well.

I really really like the look of Ducati motorcycles, but I'm not much of a road going rider, so then I had this terrible idea to build a dual sport/trail bike out of a Ducati Monster 696 which morphed into scratch building a Ducati look-alike frame with YZ suspension and a Yamaha Blaster motor. So that may get in line ahead of it. Too many bad ideas and not enough time.
5010glue.jpg5010jig.jpg

Tonkaman

I really really like the look of Ducati motorcycles, but I'm not much of a road going rider, so then I had this terrible idea to build a dual sport/trail bike out of a Ducati Monster 696 which morphed into scratch building a Ducati look-alike frame with YZ suspension and a Yamaha Blaster motor. So that may get in line ahead of it. Too many bad ideas and not enough time.

I fully support these ideas!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I rode my favorite, figure 8 yesterday at corner canyon, up woods hollow, down Levitate, up south maple hollow, down Vertigo. It was great other than my fat gut fighting my lungs for abdominal real estate. Felt good to get out again.

Dood. I thought I had winter legs, and was just starting to get out and get rid of them, and now I have quarantine legs. I was dying just climbing up CC road from the bike park.

I'm crazy jealous of how close you live to trails. I wish Kennecott would get off their butts and open up the Oquirrhs to hikers and bikers. There's gotta be some awesome terrain up there.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Dood. I thought I had winter legs, and was just starting to get out and get rid of them, and now I have quarantine legs. I was dying just climbing up CC road from the bike park.

I'm crazy jealous of how close you live to trails. I wish Kennecott would get off their butts and open up the Oquirrhs to hikers and bikers. There's gotta be some awesome terrain up there.
I only have enough self control for one lever and that is output. My intake sucks and I usually put on 5-10lbs over the winter. This year that has been bumped up a tad. The best part is breathing that hard makes my lungs exfoliate more of the the crap I've inhaled, which induces a post ride cough, which induces that I caught the Rona. First world problems.

Working 5 minutes from CC is a pretty awesome perk. I wish my work would let me build trails out of the parking lot to connect to the vertigo/levitate trail head.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Full disclosure up front: I am not a mountain biker.

History: way back in 1994, I bought my first "real" mountain bike, a shiny new entry-level Trek Mountain Track 820. It was chromoly steel and heavy as hell. It had no suspension. It was very basic. However, I knew it was worlds better than any crap bike from Wal-Mart/etc, and it fit my ~ $400 budget. I proceeded to occasionally beat that bike like a rented mule, and it took everything in stride--numerous rides along Y mountain, countless trips to Mt Nebo, up Provo canyon, and even a few trips to Deer Creek resort. It even sent me to the hospital once due to a concussion from a crash, but that's a story for another day.

Then at the end of 1998, I bought my first Jeep. Suddenly, I wasn't riding my bike in the hills any more. I did use the bike on pavement, but only infrequently, and eventually its condition declined substantially. Once the problems got too numerous, I quit riding it at all.

Years passed. I kept telling myself I wanted a new bike--something I could actually ride, something I would want to ride. But still I did nothing. Finally, I decided to throw away the old thing. Surely that would motivate me to go buy a new bike, no? Well, that was years ago. So perhaps now you'll appreciate the significance of the following statement:

Last night, I bought a shiny new Trek Marlin 4.

Once again, this is Trek's entry-level mountain bike. Once again, it fit my ~$400 budget. But my, bike hardware has progressed over the last 26 years. Now I've got an aluminum frame, front suspension, 29" wheels, and disc brakes front and rear. Wow! This is so much better than my old bike.

Weather permitting, tonight after work I'll begin overcoming the inevitable saddle sores by doing some simple laps around my neighborhood.

Tebbsjeep

I just did my first ride of the year today. Rode north along the canal road above Harrison Blvd, then back south on BST down to Ogden bike park, and back home through the neighborhood. Not a terribly long ride, but I now have "Rona" cough as well. Still felt great to get out and ride.

RockChucker

I rode my favorite, figure 8 yesterday at corner canyon, up woods hollow, down Levitate, up south maple hollow, down Vertigo. It was great other than my fat gut fighting my lungs for abdominal real estate. Felt good to get out again.
I did half your figure 8 today. Up woods hollow and down levitate. Would have gone for a 2nd loop, but the guy I rode with was smoked since it was his first ride of the year. Glad the trails are drying out. But can't wait until the snow melts. Want to do the Wasatch Crest this year

RockChucker

For those of you that aren't tubeless where and what brand bike tubes are you buying?
I just get the Goodyear tubes from Walmart. I have tannus inserts in my tires that shield the tubes. I haven’t gotten one flat since I’ve had those inserts and I’ve ridden a couple hundred miles in the dirt.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Now that I have a bike, I am determined to get over the saddle sore stage. This means I am making myself ride for at least 30 minutes each day. Speed is not important; I just want seat time so my body can adapt to the bike. Saturday after work, I spent 35 minutes just riding around the roads of my immediate neighborhood.

But Sunday, a co-worker (Dave) in Eagle Mountain invited me over to ride with him and his teenage son. Dave doesn't own a bike at this time, but one of his neighbors is way into mountain biking and loaned him one of his old "clunker" bikes--in this case, a full-suspension nearly race-ready Fezzari which undoubtedly cost more new than what I paid for the car I drove there.

I told Dave I only needed seat time, so I didn't think we needed to hit the dirt and/or hills quite yet. Dave has only ridden a bike once in the last 15 years (and that was yesterday, on this same borrowed bike) so it's not like he is in stellar athletic shape, either. So we set off to ride around Eagle Mountain, putting a few miles on the bikes. On the way back to his house, we detoured so he could show me an awesome bike park in the area. He discussed various trails which literally surround his house... and the next thing you knew, we were on one. We didn't go too far--maybe only 1/3 to 1/2 mile--but it was enough for me to realize I'd like more aggressive gearing for my new bike. My lowest gear was still taller than Dave's lowest gear, and I could really feel the difference on slow climbs--I was jealous that he was peddling faster than me at the same road speed.

On the plus side, I never fell down... which was more than Dave could say.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get over my soreness soon. After that, I'll focus on gradually getting more time on the dirt. In the mean time, here is a photo I took when I got home and unloaded my bike from the car.

H5yckoN.jpg

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Eagle Mountain has a rad trail system. I like riding out there better than Corner Canyon.

That's a really small cassette on the back of that bike. If Trek's site is right that's a seven speed 14-28 (which is probably a freewheel, instead of a cassette on a freehub). This freewheel is a 14-34 and would give you a significantly lower granny, and your rear derailleur has just enough capacity to run it.

Corban_White

Eagle Mountain has a rad trail system. I like riding out there better than Corner Canyon.

That's a really small cassette on the back of that bike. If Trek's site is right that's a seven speed 14-28 (which is probably a freewheel, instead of a cassette on a freehub). This freewheel is a 14-34 and would give you a significantly lower granny, and your rear derailleur has just enough capacity to run it.

But it also looks like a 3x front so I can't imagine it wasn't low enough in the small chainring? Or were you just in the middle one?

Edit, just did the math and 22-28 is in fact higher than 32-42, which is possibly(?) what was on the fezzari. Not by a lot though.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
That's a really small cassette on the back of that bike. If Trek's site is right that's a seven speed 14-28

Yes, my bike is a 3x7 setup. I have not yet actually counted the teeth, but I have no reason to believe the specs on the web site are incorrect. Assuming they are right, my front is 42/34/24 and the rear cassette is 14-28.

But it also looks like a 3x front so I can't imagine it wasn't low enough in the small chainring? Or were you just in the middle one?

Edit, just did the math and 22-28 is in fact higher than 32-42, which is possibly(?) what was on the fezzari. Not by a lot though.

I was definitely in 1-1 gear. The Fezzari only has one cog up front and 11 gears out back. When Dave was in 1st, we were moving at the exact same (slow) speed but he appeared to pedal about 1.3-1.4 revolutions for each revolution of mine.

Doesn't Fezzari spec SRAM stuff? If that bike was as high end as Turbo thinks it is, that almost had to be some form of Eagle.

I never thought to look for any brand names on the components, sorry. But we're planning to ride again tomorrow, so perhaps I can take a closer look then.