Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Rode up to Midmountain above Park City on Saturday, there was almost no snow. I'm thinking Crest is going to open in two weeks, maybe three, anyone for an RME group ride?

I rode Tunnel Springs out to city creek and back Wednesday. That's fun if anyone wants to ride it with me again. About 11+ miles

Where's that at?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Personal update

On May 2nd, I reported a loss of 4 pounds and expressed my desire to drop another 9 by June 1st. Well, here we are. This morning, I saw that I am down only another 4 pounds since then. On the surface, you'd think I am upset about that... but I'm not. Why not? Well, during the month of May there were... complications to my riding. It all had to do with my saddle.

My OEM saddle was the Bontrager Arvada:
Bontrager_Arvada3.jpg

After a few weeks of daily riding, I still wasn't over the saddle sores. Hmm. I spoke to my co-worker Dave about this. He recently bought himself a used full-suspension Specialized of some sort, and had immediately upgraded his saddle. Since then, he had raved on and on about what a difference that made, so I asked him about it.

He told me he had bought an Ergon SM Comp:
71ybhcsvxXL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Dave liked this seat due to the deep channel down the middle; apparently his old seat didn't have any channel at all. My seat obviously has one, but it is very shallow... so I figured maybe Dave was on to something. I ordered the same seat for myself, and installed it the day it arrived (on May 11th). That night I rode 12 miles, the following morning I rode another 18 miles, and the morning after I rode another 10 miles. By then, it was extremely apparent--this seat was worse than before. Far worse. It was so bad, in fact, that I took four days off from riding just to recover.

I compared both saddles. The new one's divot was indeed a lot deeper, but it completely goes away at the rear of the saddle. My body seemed to be telling me it wanted a channel all the way back. To test my theory, I re-installed my OEM saddle and finally went riding again. The new pain did not immediately resurface, which I took as a major win.

I went back to the shop where I bought the new seat and explained my predicament. The owner happily took the seat back (I had kept all the packaging) and refunded my money. Best of all, he then consulted with me to find out what I really needed--a full-length channel plus a little more padding--then ordered a saddle that might be a better fit. After a few more days, it finally arrived.

This time I got a WTB Speed in Medium width and medium padding:
4a6298cf-a177-4e39-b073-571af2d14d5d

So far, this saddle has been great. My new pain still has not resurfaced, and most of the old ones are fading away as well. Now finally as of the last week of May, I'm back to riding just about every day.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I put wider with more cushion on..... ohh man the pain. Measured my sit bones, bought appropriate saddle. No worries now other than just normal wear and tear

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Might not be the channel - that new seat looks wider than the one before. Sit bone width is a thing.

#1) The photo angles are not identical. All three seats are approximately the same width.

#2) More importantly, in my case it was most definitely the channel. I was trying to be very delicate in my explanation, but the second seat with no channel at the back was causing chafing and then inflammation in... a certain area. The third seat has so far eliminated this entirely. YMMV

RockChucker

Last night I started at the bottom of Vertigo/Levitate and rode up over the top via S. Maple Hollow. All the way down Maple Hollow DH, back over the top and down Vertigo since Levitate is closed for construction. Good ride, about 1600 feet of elevation and 9.5 miles. But, dehydrated riding is no bueno. I got gassed quick and could only go half my normal pace. I've been pretty good about drinking enough water, but the last couple days haven't been very good, and it showed in this ride.

I'm definitely up for a crest run. Haven't ever done it. Planning on several times this year. A guy I went to school with says it is his favorite trail.

rholbrook

I'm not built for mountain biking. Hell, I'm not built for dirt biking but I am proficient with it. I want to get out on a mountain bike and all my buddies have been buying eBikes and are riding those more than their dirtbikes so I decided to find out what all the fun is about. I get that its cheating but if it gets me out on the trails and I am getting exercise then I really don't care if its cheating. I can't wait to join them in the fun.

J-mobzz

I'm not built for mountain biking. Hell, I'm not built for dirt biking but I am proficient with it. I want to get out on a mountain bike and all my buddies have been buying eBikes and are riding those more than their dirtbikes so I decided to find out what all the fun is about. I get that its cheating but if it gets me out on the trails and I am getting exercise then I really don't care if its cheating. I can't wait to join them in the fun.

Not like you don’t cheat on dirt bikes.
Do they make a rekluse for e-bikes? Hahaha
( I say that with love since I have a rekluse and have been shopping ebikes.)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
A new neighbor moved in across the street and they have 2 e bikes. I took a rip on one and it was kind of fun. Weird though because the chain had broke and they didn't put a new one on. After playing around on those another neighbor bought one for him and his wife. I think they've just been noodling around the neighborhood but they seem to having fun.

jsudar

One thing to watch out for with the E bikes is that many trails which are open to pedal bikes are closed to E bikes. Moab is a good example of this-- most of the "bike" trails have signs that say: No E bikes/pedal assist/cheating. In that situation, E bikes are pretty much restricted to trails you can ride a motorcycle on, in which case, I'd rather ride my motorcycle. Not sure about all of the trails up north, but I have seen signs on some of them. I only point this out, because an E biking, law abiding citizen could find himself in a situation where he can't ride with his non-cheating buddies. And that's awkward. Though it really depends on how much guilt you feel about violating the posted signage-- it's not like there's a squadron of E-bike police roving the trails searching for violators. And if there were, they'd be busy quelling riots right now.
However, I do find myself swearing under my breath at people riding E bikes on non-E bike trails. Mostly because they look like they're having more fun than I am.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Screw that. Ride what you can Russ. I've ridden a giant E version of the trance. It definitely assists but I could still get a good workout on it, I'd just go more miles. Get one and come ride corner canyon with me.
I'm riding tonight around 630 if anyone wants to join.

rholbrook

Not like you don’t cheat on dirt bikes.
Do they make a rekluse for e-bikes? Hahaha
( I say that with love since I have a rekluse and have been shopping ebikes.)
Rekluse or no Rekluse, I ride 20 yr olds asses into the dirt all the time. Looking at my age and size is their first mistake. I can't count the times I end up riding a 20 or 30 somthing guy's CRF450 or YZ450 out for them without a Rekluse. I have been riding since I was 8. I ride a lot of sketchy stuff in Idaho and Wyoming and a Rekluse makes it more enjoyable. I also run a bar mounted OX Left Hand Brake. Again, some of the places I ride I can ride without one but it is nice to be able to add that level of control. My son Harrison also has a Rekluse on his bike and he still rides like a bat out of hell if you put him on a bike without one. He's not track fast but he is very mountain savy. At the end of the day, its all about getting out and enjoying the out doors. If any of you want to get a Idaho or Wyoming trip planned, let me know. There is just something about riding 9K to 10K feet with the smell of pines without seeing anyone else that is really enjoyable.

RockChucker

Screw that. Ride what you can Russ. I've ridden a giant E version of the trance. It definitely assists but I could still get a good workout on it, I'd just go more miles. Get one and come ride corner canyon with me.
I'm riding tonight around 630 if anyone wants to join.
I'd join you, but I'm out for the rest of the week probably. Get to deal with meeting the guy that is installing my new heat/ac as a side job tonight and tomorrow. And I washed out coming down on the maple hollow - eagle crest connector last night scooting along at about 20 mph. Give my skinned knee a couple days to scab over. Luckily I didn't get anything other than a skinned knee and hurt pride.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
What apps do most of you guys use to track rides? I know Strava is probably the front runner here but I am just wondering what the other options are. I don't really care about being king of the hill. Or, even knowing that some guy did my hour and a half ride in 19 minutes (true story of today's ride). I am more concerned with tracking my rides (elevation, distance and speed in particular). I currently use MTB Project but it either doesn't track speed or I am not smart enough to figure it out.