Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
What apps do most of you guys use to track rides? I know Strava is probably the front runner here but I am just wondering what the other options are. I don't really care about being king of the hill. Or, even knowing that some guy did my hour and a half ride in 19 minutes (true story of today's ride). I am more concerned with tracking my rides (elevation, distance and speed in particular). I currently use MTB Project but it either doesn't track speed or I am not smart enough to figure it out.
I hate carrying a phone so my wife bought me a garmin egde 25 for Christmas, it's awesome. Garmin connect does all the things you listed and it will sync your rides with strava too.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
What apps do most of you guys use to track rides? I know Strava is probably the front runner here but I am just wondering what the other options are. I don't really care about being king of the hill. Or, even knowing that some guy did my hour and a half ride in 19 minutes (true story of today's ride). I am more concerned with tracking my rides (elevation, distance and speed in particular). I currently use MTB Project but it either doesn't track speed or I am not smart enough to figure it out.

I use Strava for all the things you want to use it for. I track my mileage and elevation totals, and I compare rides to previous efforts to see how I'm progressing. Strava just nerfed their free version to try and get more paid customers so I signed up for the free trial, but if I could find a free app that tracked the way Strava does I'd cancel in a heartbeat.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I like Garmin Connect. However, I haven’t tracked rides for quite a while. I have more fun when I care less about performance

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I hate carrying a phone so my wife bought me a garmin egde 25 for Christmas, it's awesome. Garmin connect does all the things you listed and it will sync your rides with strava too.
This sounds like a solid option... However, Covid has me living on the cheap side. Maybe when the world comes back and I can spend like my wife on a target run (pre-covid).

I use Strava for all the things you want to use it for. I track my mileage and elevation totals, and I compare rides to previous efforts to see how I'm progressing. Strava just nerfed their free version to try and get more paid customers so I signed up for the free trial, but if I could find a free app that tracked the way Strava does I'd cancel in a heartbeat.
I just downloaded it and when setting it up I just hit "skip" where it tried to get me to pay. Does that mean I am just on the free trial or is it free until you want to unlock certain features?

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I just downloaded it and when setting it up I just hit "skip" where it tried to get me to pay. Does that mean I am just on the free trial or is it free until you want to unlock certain features?

You're on the free version. It'll work to record time and distance (and follow other riders, if you're into that sort of thing), I'm pretty sure it'll tell you top speed and average speed over a ride, but you won't be able to compare your segment time to previous rides.

RockChucker

I have a Garmin Fenix 5x watch I got on ksl for $75. It does sync with my Strava and it’s funny to see how strava and Garmin use the same data and show different results. Usually top speed is different?

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I went and ventured out to Corner Canyon this morning with a friend. We wanted to try some new rides since we typically hit the same places in Davis/Weber county. You people at the south end of the valley and northern Utah county are definitely spoiled! We rode from the bike park/Rodeo Arena to B.S.T, up potato hill to Anns Trail and then down Rush. It was a good climb with some awesome downhill. We will definitely be back that way sooner than later.

Also, I know a trail system like that doesn't happen without some major community involvement and a lot of manual labor. Kudos to the community for making an amazing place to ride. I wish there were parks like that when I was a kid that were close and easily accessible. All we had when I was a kid was a massive dirt pile in a field that some pro's (mainly Tim "Fuzzy" Hall) turned into dirt jumps at one point and once he moved out of the 'hood they went to crap.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Did some riding in Colorado last week. The Green mountain/ Hayden park trail system in Lakewood/ Denver is really fun out by redrocks park.

Did a quick jaunt into town in Vail, CO.

Then I hit up RIm trail in Snowmass, CO on the way home. 10.something miles of bliss! I was sucking wind a bit though. Trails starts at 8400ft and goes up 2k vertical.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
(A few of you have already seen this report in my FB feed.)

Last Tuesday, I had the second-worst bike crash of my entire life. I'm pretty sure this one isn't at the top of the list since I apparently did not suffer a concussion and did not require an emergency room visit--which is just as well, since my sister Cindi was not here to take me to the hospital like she did for bike wreck number one.

We were in Payson canyon. We had ridden from the Blackhawk Trail to the Loafer Mountain Trail and were now on the Bennie Creek Cutoff Trail. I was coming down a very steep descent of loose dirt, I was carrying way too much speed, and I couldn't get the bike to slow down. I had already come off my seat, straddling the bike with both feet on the ground, but the hill was too steep and I knew I was going to dump it. Sure enough, the bike finally leaned and I went down on my left side. My co-worker Dave was right behind me watching the event unfold, and the instant I began to fall he immediately called out, "dude--are you okay?"

Problem was, I was not done crashing yet.

I had enough momentum that, combined with the steep hill, my left shoulder bounced off the ground and I did another entire barrel roll--still straddling my bike--down the hill. After that, I finally had separated from my bike and my body slid to a stop, face down.

I laid there motionless for a moment, evaluating the pain and mentally estimating my injuries. I sat up just as Dave arrived at my side. He asked how I felt. Was I light-headed or dizzy? "I definitely had my bell rung," I answered, and told him I did feel a little light-headed. He helped me up, and I walked down to a flatter section of the trail. Those few steps increased my light-headedness, and I could tell I would likely pass out if I stayed on my feet much longer, so I gently sat down and then laid down on the trail, with my head aimed downhill.

Nothing to see here; just taking a quick nap on the trail...
104445557_2821766851255273_6957390334431008925_o.jpg

After a few minutes of rest and then drinking some water, I felt fine once again. With that, we all got back on our bikes and continued with our ride.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Sucks man. Glad you didn't get more hurt.
When it comes to that I ditch my bike. I like my bike but I like myself more.
Don't let it keep you off riding the bike again soon, mental blocks happen if you stay off for long. First crash after not riding in a while happens. I wadded up with Kevin B. When I rode again after a long break. Tried to grab the clutch lever when I got sideways off a big drop. That went well...

Tebbsjeep

What helmet lights do you guys use? I ride a lot later in the evening and spend about half of my ride in the dark. I have a light on my bars, but I'd like to be able to see through corners better.

jsudar

Tried to grab the clutch lever when I got sideways off a big drop. That went well...

That's funny. I've been riding mountain bikes way longer than I've been riding dirt bikes, so when I go into panic mode on the muertocycle I grab a big handful of the right side lever... and wash out the front tire. Or stoppie. Either way, the panic level rises and more stupidity ensues. It's a vicious cycle. Pun intended.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
What helmet lights do you guys use? I ride a lot later in the evening and spend about half of my ride in the dark. I have a light on my bars, but I'd like to be able to see through corners better.

Oxbow. They're local and rad too.