Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Awesome! Excited to see the vid on YouTube. I have an older Salsa mukluk that would be a perfect bikepacking rig. I had dreams of kids in a bike trailer and going out for 3 day adventures. Tested it out last fall. That bike trailer weighed 80+ pounds just with kids and snacks and felt like I was pulling a sled. Only made it 4 miles on a dirt road and was spent.

sixstringsteve

we're shooting for the vid to be ready by this weekend. We'll see what actually happens. We have to fit 6 hours of footage into an interesting 20-40 min story. (I realize that's a super long video, but for our journal, we don't want to make it much shorter).

Kevin B.

Big hippy
It was a perfect bikepacking trail. I'm trying to think of a good one in northern utah...

So I have a sixty mile loop plotted out that straddles both sides of the Mirror Lake Highway and avoids Wilderness. I've hiked on some of it but I haven't scouted the whole thing to know how rideable it is. And then there's this:

There ought to be a couple N-S options along the Wasatch between US6 and Bear Lake too, but I haven't connected the dots. The Great Western is supposed to connect through there?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
There's a bunch of us headed for Good Water Rim this Sunday, and since most of the guys going are RMEers it seems right to post an invite here too. Forecast is for sun and 45 in Castle Dale, and the ground should be dryish so we're looking forward to a great day.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Yes! Do you work 9-5? We're still getting dark pretty early. Even 5pm makes for a short ride. I was planning on doing a few (3?) loops on paradise rim tomorrow afternoon. Shoot me a text, I'm super flexible on time and would love to ride with you while you're here.

sixstringsteve

I work 7am-3pm. I can get off work at 2pm most days.

We are in California tonight and won't be in st george till tomorrow night. We should be there for 3 or 4 weeks.

sixstringsteve

Awesome, looking forward to connecting. Are you still on your Fuji?

I'll tow you into anything except flying monkey; that's above my pay grade.

We have been enjoying riding with benjy this past week. He is a killer rider and has shown us some awesome trails. Kentucky lucky chicken is now one of my favorite st george trails. We had a blast on that one yesterday.

sixstringsteve

Teas and i rode gooseberry and little creek mesa today. The trails are in perfect condition and the temps are awesome. Gooseberry had a few tricky climbs that I had forgotten about. I rode gooseberry counter - clockwise. I'm excited to try it the other direction with you guys.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I wish! Sounds like a win-win. ;)

1200 miles is a ton. Which is why I'd want to do it in sections. Seems like a cool route to dissect for future trips.