Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
So Stratton, have a look at the Salsa Timberjack. The NX1, specifically, in the 27.5+ flavor. It's a hardtail, but it's got a component package that's more than suitable for a rider just getting into the sport, with hydro brakes, an air fork, and SRAM NX drivetrain. It's got internal routing to add a dropper post of your choice. The geometry is pretty sporty but not overly so. At $1100 new, it's a lot of bike for the money.

A hardtail would not be the end of the world for you. They bring a lot of advantages in simplicity and lightness, and by trading off the suspension the rest of your component package gets better for the same price point. And with the plus size tires, you've got just that much more sidewall to soak up bumps and trail chatter. It's a little step up from the budget you initially set, but I think it may be a better bike for you than anything you've looked at on KSL so far.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
If you decide a Hardtail will work for you, and you want to try mine, I’m contemplating selling it. It’s a 2 year old Norco Torrent. Large Frame. I added a dropper post that I will include. I’ll have to look it up on bike blue book, but I’m sure it’ll be in your budget.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It’s not perfect, but I haven’t ridden it since having it tuned up by Bikers Edge in Kaysville. I find myself riding my Salsa Deadwood more (when I actually ride). Since adding a dropper to my Salsa, I don’t know how much I’ll ride the Norco.

Attachments

• DB97BA4D-B049-4CA4-9B5D-FC8FE23A4211.jpeg
    DB97BA4D-B049-4CA4-9B5D-FC8FE23A4211.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 5D540143-805A-421B-ADF4-D18CA029EF80.jpeg
    5D540143-805A-421B-ADF4-D18CA029EF80.jpeg
    743.1 KB · Views: 12
  • FB63766A-D272-4891-A9A5-C52D6C0433F7.jpeg
    FB63766A-D272-4891-A9A5-C52D6C0433F7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 245AC6F8-7F2E-44C9-9DDD-4042ABA351B6.jpeg
    245AC6F8-7F2E-44C9-9DDD-4042ABA351B6.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 11

sixstringsteve

It’s not perfect, but I haven’t ridden it since having it tuned up by Bikers Edge in Kaysville. I find myself riding my Salsa Deadwood more (when I actually ride). Since adding a dropper to my Salsa, I don’t know how much I’ll ride the Norco.

That norco is an amazing bike. What did you end up getting Stratton?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
What did you end up getting Stratton?

I got that Diamondback. Flame on ;)
It ticked all the boxes you guys told me to check and I didn't overspend.
It's a $1500+ bike that to my best observations was bought by a road biker to trail ride with her BF and really never rode more than a couple times.

I'm very pleased!
The bike felt great. Geometry for climbing felt great, and I really liked the Rock Shox air suspension and the fork lockout. Through axles are cool: I got to try it out (thanks for the tube Josh). 1 finger brakes that didn't fade. It shifted awesome. Top gear could be taller (I'm told I can widen the spread if I feel the need without too much fuss). It has internal routing if I want to add a dropper post.

Thanks for the invite guys.

IMG_20180530_132703.jpg

sixstringsteve

I'm glad you like it! Cool to see you can add a dropper later if you want.

Welcome to the MTB family. Hopefully we can go on a ride together one of these days.

sixstringsteve

I've never used a brand x, but it looks like there are a lot of reviews. I'd start by reading those. I heard a rumor that there's one company that makes 5 other company's droppers. Theyre all 95% the same with slight tweaks. I dont know which companies are supposed to fall into that bucket.

My least favorite dropper is the KS lev. My brother has had to warranty two within a 2 month period.

I like the feel of the fox transfer, but I'd never buy one because it's so delicate.

I had great luck with my rockshox reverbs, but most people hate them, and I prefer cable actuated vs hydraulic lines anyway.

My favorite droppers are the fall line 9.8 and the bike yoke revive. Both cost almost as much as what you paid for your bike. The only budget dropped i have used and liked is the raceface aeffect. That's what i have on my hardtail. Its decent, not my favorite, but not bad. The lever it came with was awful though, so I replaced it with a wolftooth remote lever.

You're also going to need to know which length droper you'll want. Droppers come in lengths from 100mm, 125mm, 150mm, 160mm, 170mm, 180mm, and I've even seen a 200mm. Not all lengths will fit in your frame, and some may be too tall for you.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Thanks for the reply.
I was told by my local bike shop (Top Gear Bicycles) to get a 125mm drop. They set my suspension air pressure (as I don't have a loss-less pump) and sag at 30%
This one I linked is 120mm. I think I won't notice 5mm less than ideal.
The seat tube on my bike is straight and hollow all the way to the crank so I could go longer.
I'm thinking this one looks very similar to that race face one. And it's very well reviewed (552 reviews) so I may try it.

Is there any advantage to going slightly longer?

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
What's your issue with the KS Lev Steve? That's what I have, I don't use my bike near as much as you guys. I haven't really had an issue with it, but I did notice on the last ride its getting a little wobble