Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

Agreed! I've ridden part of the UTBDR and it was kinda meh. Gorgeous, but more of a slog than I thought. Idaho would be awesome. I drove part of the route last year and saw a lot of gravel/bikepacking bikes out there. I'd love to arrange a trip out there.

sixstringsteve

I just sold my Bronson. Now I'm bikeless...

I think my next bike will be a plus hardtail for bikepacking and general riding. It'll probably be a Santa Cruz chameleon 650b+, but I'm also looking at a salsa timberjack.

sixstringsteve

Those 3.0 wide tires may come in handy for the snow that might be up there. :(

I plan on riding the goose on Saturday, but if the high is lower than 45*, I may have to rethink tgat decision ...

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Hey Kevin (and Eric, and anyone else coming...) which direction/trails do you want to ride at Gooseberry on Sat?

I've been on Gooseberry twice, ridden Windmill and Bowls and Ledges and part of the North Rim. Ian's ridden Windmill and B&L with me. Haven't been on South Rim at all yet, so if you've got a preference I'm happy to defer? I dunno what we're doing Sunday, if my wife comes down we're going to find something fun for her and the little guy, otherwise I have no specific plans. I have an eyeball on Wire Mesa, but that Little Creek Mesa you suggested looks fun too. I'll be around and looking for a ride for the first part of Monday too, unless you wear me out Saturday and Sunday. :D

Brady/Dutchman is coming, and a friend Conner who isn't on RME. Eric is a maybe, I'm working on him though.

You guys going to come up and hang with us Friday night? Probably be at 37.1518, -113.1719 unless somebody else gets there first.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Since i'm mountain bike dumb, what aspect of the ride characteristic does a short chain stay alter. And what is slack angle, same question

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Since i'm mountain bike dumb, what aspect of the ride characteristic does a short chain stay alter. And what is slack angle, same question

No expert, but they mostly have to do with where your COG is in relation to the wheels. Shorter chainstays make for a shorter wheelbase and suck the rear wheel up under the butt, makes for a more playful but not as efficient bike, longer chainstays make the bike more stable but not as nimble.

Seat tube and head tube angles are measured in degrees, where 90 is vertical. Slack is shallower angles, and the new hotness. Those angles bias your COG fore and aft, and the head tube angle has an effect on your steering where the seat tube angle locates your butt in relation to the bottom bracket. Together they are supposed to determine whether a bike is an efficient and precise rocket on the climbs or a forgiving magic carpet on the descents, and if it's an enduro bike then of course it's both (until the next trend comes out).

Tonkaman

No expert, but they mostly have to do with where your COG is in relation to the wheels. Shorter chainstays make for a shorter wheelbase and suck the rear wheel up under the butt, makes for a more playful but not as efficient bike, longer chainstays make the bike more stable but not as nimble.

Seat tube and head tube angles are measured in degrees, where 90 is vertical. Slack is shallower angles, and the new hotness. Those angles bias your COG fore and aft, and the head tube angle has an effect on your steering where the seat tube angle locates your butt in relation to the bottom bracket. Together they are supposed to determine whether a bike is an efficient and precise rocket on the climbs or a forgiving magic carpet on the descents, and if it's an enduro bike then of course it's both (until the next trend comes out).
Excellent description!

sixstringsteve

I've been on Gooseberry twice, ridden Windmill and Bowls and Ledges and part of the North Rim. Ian's ridden Windmill and B&L with me. Haven't been on South Rim at all yet, so if you've got a preference I'm happy to defer?

Cool. I'm down with whatever. Bowls and Ledges is probably my favorite section of that trail, with South Rim in a close second. We are game for whatever the group wants to do. We almost always end up riding out to the point, then taking south rim down, followed by bowls and ledges out.

I dunno what we're doing Sunday, if my wife comes down we're going to find something fun for her and the little guy, otherwise I have no specific plans. I have an eyeball on Wire Mesa, but that Little Creek Mesa you suggested looks fun too. I'll be around and looking for a ride for the first part of Monday too, unless you wear me out Saturday and Sunday. :D

Unfortunately we're leaving the area Saturday night, so that's our only day to play. Wire mesa is more fun than little creek mesa in my opinion. Wire mesa is a blast.

You guys going to come up and hang with us Friday night? Probably be at 37.1518, -113.1719 unless somebody else gets there first.

Unsure. We may do swing out there and camp with you guys. That would be a lot of fun.

sixstringsteve

Kevin did a great job explaining this,.

Short chainstays make it easier to lift the front wheel (both pedalled and coasting), turn, and in general make it more maneuverable. Longer chainstays are more "stable" at speed (but harder to lift the front wheel.). I don't think either one affects efficiency. The weird thing is that bike companies often use the same chainstay length for their XS as for their XL, which makes no sense for the rider. As a small rider, I prefer chainstays as short as physically possible. I can turn, jump, and lift the front wheel better on this new bike than almost any other bike.

A slack head angle affects how the bike steers. I like a 64.5-66* head angle. A steeper head angle is better at slow speeds (like when climbing). A slacker head angle is more stable at speed, and better for turning by leaning (rather than twisting the handlebars).

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
A slack head angle affects how the bike steers. I like a 64.5-66* head angle. A steeper head angle is better at slow speeds (like when climbing). A slacker head angle is more stable at speed, and better for turning by leaning (rather than twisting the handlebars).

So a lower number "more slack"? and steeper is higher number correct? Just want to make sure i'm on the same page. I was never good at geometry

My head angle is 66 degree's and my chainstay is 425mm. I think thats a fairly short? and considered more slack? My bike is a riot, I can't manual at all but thats operator error. My only complaint on my bike is weight. Climbs very stable, suspension doesn't eat up my pedal stroke on climbs, playful in corners