Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

Those are sweet. I've never heard of those before. I'll have to check em out.

I still havent felt super comfortable strapping my spare tune to my bike. I think I'm worried about it getting damaged from the sun or punctured on something. Have any of you guys had issues destroying a tube that was strapped to your bike?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I'm sure you all already do this... but Grip Lock ties are rubber lined and hold my spare tube securely, have a release tab to reuse them on trail and *bonus* the orange liner is the same color as my bike. :)

https://www.griplockties.com
Made in Utah by fellow RME member Creighton King.

I velcro mine...

sMzYLQd.jpg

... but that reusable zip tie is a neat idea. Might be worth cutting up a old plastic binder or a plastic soda bottle or something to use between it and the tube?

Have any of you guys had issues destroying a tube that was strapped to your bike?

*raises hand* I kept a tube wrapped up in a Timbuktoo tool roll for a while. It split on the edges, I think because I wrapped it in electrical tape and wrapped it too light. Or maybe it was just a crappy tube. Since I ditched the tool roll and started strapping the bare tube with velcro, I haven't had that problem again.

But may I sing you a song of the ways of my people? I now have everything for a shorter ride on the bike. The cell phone is on the stem cap, wallet/keys/tools/spares/snacks go in a little frame bag I made, tube and tire levers and CO2 are under the seat, I have an adjustable cage in the triangle that'll hold a 1.5l Nalgene and I can sling another under the downtube with a Blackburn Outpost cage if I need to. I still carry a backpack on longer rides when I pack a lunch and a first aid kit and stuff and things, but on short rides I've got nothing on my back and nothing in my pockets, and it is bliss. I highly recommend it.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well the dropper seat post lives up to the hype!
I bet I used it 20+ times on the way down in the small uphill and flat sections. I didn't use it much on the uphill but I figure once I start learning how or when to use it it will be an advantage there as well. Unexpectedly- it's nice to drop the seat and rest with your feet on the ground when you stop.

I rode Mueller Park today at 1pm. Trying to heat train myself a little. It was 93*F so there you go; I drank my whole 2L camelback.

I didn't break any speed records but I felt good and went up and down in just a hair over 2hrs flat, only stopped a 3 short times (7:30 minutes total stopped time including my rest at the top to catch my breath) in 13.3 miles.

That trail is a workout. 1972 vertical feet in 6.65 miles.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm enjoying this bike.
I do wish it had a slightly lower 1st climbing gear, but then I would use it.... and wouldn't be pushing to progress.
I'm also curious about running tubliss to knock the tire pressure down climbing all these sharp edge rocks. Does that low tire pressure make you just have loads of rolling resistance?

sixstringsteve

Lower pressure does lower the rolling resistance, but it gives you more grip. For flat protection alone, I recommend tubless. Plus it makes for a lighter wheel. In the past 4 years. I've only had 2 flats requiring a tube, and they were both on the same trail, 30 min apart with a really worn tire.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I've been in Bellingham, WA the past week, and it has been extremely humbling to ride here. I used to think I was a decent rider, but I'm consistently the worst rider on every trail I've been on. They say you have to train and work out to be an "average" rider here. It's insane how good the average rider is here. I have a lot of work to do.

It's been fun riding with people better than me, who push me to be better. It's been a while since I've had that.

rholbrook

I've been in Bellingham, WA the past week, and it has been extremely humbling to ride here. I used to think I was a decent rider, but I'm consistently the worst rider on every trail I've been on. They say you have to train and work out to be an "average" rider here. It's insane how good the average rider is here. I have a lot of work to do.

It's been fun riding with people better than me, who push me to be better. It's been a while since I've had that.

Maybe I can send Harrison up there with you for a week or two

sixstringsteve

I definitely need to ride with harry more.

I usually just ride with tess, which I love, but she doesnt push me (especially when she's pregnant). I'm not complaining, it's awesome to ride with her. I just don't get to ride with people who push me a lot (until I got to Bellingham).

I'm excited to be back in Utah next week to ride with more peeps who push me (including Harry).

Bellingham is insane.

More good stuff at 6 min.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I definitely need to ride with harry more.

I usually just ride with tess, which I love, but she doesnt push me (especially when she's pregnant). I'm not complaining, it's awesome to ride with her. I just don't get to ride with people who push me a lot (until I got to Bellingham).

I'm excited to be back in Utah next week to ride with more peeps who push me (including Harry).

Bellingham is insane.

More good stuff at 6 min.

Pretty sure I would die if I tried riding trails like that. I am now very content to ride where I do...

sixstringsteve

I'm planning an MTB camping trip Sept 6-9 aimed at advanced riders. It's getting pretty full, but if it sounds like fun to anyone on here, shoot me a PM and I'll get you details. I don't want to post the details publicly for various reasons, but I'm happy to send a PM.

We'll be riding black diamond trails at a quick pace. Plan on riding 15-30 miles each day. There might be room for some beginner/intermediate routes each day for those who don't want big mileage.

sixstringsteve

Who's up for a ride Monday afternoon/evening? I'm free after 3. I need to kick my butt into gear and get back into riding shape. Ive been wanting to try levitate, vertigo, and the trail that connects lambert to corner canyon,