Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

Harry is a beast. We had a blast riding with him. I'm so glad he made the trek down. And everyone who got to ride his bike fell in love with the trust shout fork. That thing is wicked!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
2 years ago I demoed a 5010 on paradise in StG. I had so much fun on that bike I’ve been dreaming about owning one ever since. It is finally time to make that happen. This is a 2018 “CC” frame. I’ve also never picked all the parts and built up a frame, so I’m pretty excited about The whole process! Now just to get it done before @Corban_White and @sixstringsteve come down to ride!
237EEF7E-B020-475C-BC5D-610B22FB66E7.jpeg

sixstringsteve

Awesome! The 5010 is one of my all time favorite bikes. Itll be perfect for your riding style.

Better hurry, I'm itching for some gooseberry. Maybe mid nov?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Awesome! The 5010 is one of my all time favorite bikes. Itll be perfect for your riding style.

Better hurry, I'm itching for some gooseberry. Maybe mid nov?

It should be done for a mid November Gooseberry weekend :cool: I only have a few components left to decide on. I was going to build it slowly to decide on parts and take advantage of black friday/cyber monday deals, but I've been like a drug addict on Jenson for the last few days, and just keep clicking "buy"

jsudar

5010.jpg
So here's my next project. After I finish my gravel bike. And after I finish helping my son build his own hardtail. It's a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010C. Picked this up on KSL for $150. If you look closely, you'll notice the BB cluster has been Sawzalled off. It was hanging over a Tacoma tailgate and the guy got rear-ended and damaged the down tube. Insurance made him cut the frame up before they'd pay out.
I'm going to JB Weld this thing back together, put it in the frame jig, take a grundle of measurements and get all the pivot locations put into CAD. Then I'm going to rebuild both ends of the bike out of chromoly and use the links and pivots to build my own VPP bike. Probably going to go 29er with it, not 100% sure on that though. I've heard such good things about the ride of the 5010, I don't know how much I want to tweak with the back end of the bike. Going 29er will require lots of tweaking for clearance and part of the reason for this project was to build a custom bike, but not have to engineer my own suspension. I'm definitely going to tweak the front end geometry to suit me and definitely putting a FOX DHX2 coil shock on it. When I'm finished, I should have the world's first coil sprung, steel, 29er 5010. The SUDAR CRUZ 5029?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Had a great afternoon ride. Our girls capacity is SLOWLY increasing. Seems like every time we ride they can either go a little farther, or complain a little less. Today they rode what most people consider the full Bearclaw Poppy loop (turning around when you hit the Stucki Springs Loop). I really enjoy more challenging trails, but my favorite part of mountain biking is enjoying it with the family.IMG_20191214_160753662_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191214_162637420_HDR.jpgIMG_20191214_160721880_HDR.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I need a helmet to start trying some trail rides with. With motorcycles, It's full face and goggles. What do I need/want for mountain biking?
I was looking at this one on Amazon: Helmet
I am a big time sweater, so heat is a concern for me. I also really like my face and head, so protection is important.
I am also a cheapskate, so cost is an issue. I really don't see the helmet getting much use.. but would like something to do it's job should I ever need it.
Thoughts?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I need a helmet to start trying some trail rides with. With motorcycles, It's full face and goggles. What do I need/want for mountain biking?
I was looking at this one on Amazon: Helmet
I am a big time sweater, so heat is a concern for me. I also really like my face and head, so protection is important.
I am also a cheapskate, so cost is an issue. I really don't see the helmet getting much use.. but would like something to do it's job should I ever need it.
Thoughts?
I can't buy helmets without trying them on. My giant noggin must be of an odd shape and size. I wear a fox fluxx and have not had any complaints.
I'll help you use it more once the snow goes away?