Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Tonkaman

I have a problem here. I added this to my eBike stable. This made #3. This is a game changer for me. If it wasn't for the electric assist, I wouldn't be on a bike, especially in the mountains. I love them. This one is a Giant Trance X E+ Pro 29 1 Large Frane. I also have a Giant Stance E+ 1 in a medium frame and a Haibike 10.0 Full Seven LT. I actually have the HaiBike up for sale and think it is sold. Will know if a little bit.View attachment 131329
So, so, so jelly!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
@rholbrook and I went and rode eMTBs tonight. 1:04 to go up Muller park, across Rudy Flat, down North Canyon, and back across Bountiful Blvd.
So much fun! I don't really think I did much less work. I just had more fun doing it.
To give you an idea how quick that is; it usually takes me 1:30 just to go up at full effort and no stops.

Mostly I rode in the 3rd power level and I cannot yet harness the power of the 5th level... Those things rock! so so so much fun!
Screenshot_20201001-191040~2.jpg

Tebbsjeep

So I want to get a dropper for my hardtail, but my seat post measures at 28mm. Can I get a 27.2mm dropper and use shims? Or am I SOL?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Are you sure? What bike? 28mm is a rare seatpost size and I've only ever heard of it on road bikes. Are you positive it's not a 28.6?

If it is 28m, you could use a shim. It's not ideal but it's the only option you've got.

RockChucker

My bike has recently developed a creak/groan under a pedaling load. Thought it might be the bottom bracket but figured I’d start with the rear wheel since it started right after I changed a rear flat. Got the rear cassette and hub off then pushed out the rear axle (axle tube?). It’s cracked! Looks like the aluminum tube fatigued right where the hub rides on it from cyclical loading due to pedaling is my best guess. Ordered a new axle for $18. Not too bad for a bike repair I guess. Time will tell if this was the source of the creak or not.
FAC91351-B832-4C3D-BF1B-AD83719BCADC.jpeg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My neighbor has a few e bikes and about any time they are ridden he gets flats. Even just around the neighborhood. We have a ton of goat heads around us. I keep telling him he needs new tires rather than tubes and I think he is finally getting there.

Do you guys have suggestions? He says he doesn't expect to take these up the mountain so road style tread is fine. They are 27.5 wheels.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My neighbor has a few e bikes and about any time they are ridden he gets flats. Even just around the neighborhood. We have a ton of goat heads around us. I keep telling him he needs new tires rather than tubes and I think he is finally getting there.

Do you guys have suggestions? He says he doesn't expect to take these up the mountain so road style tread is fine. They are 27.5 wheels.

If they are setup for tubeless go that route, otherwise I had decent luck with the goat heads around my place on my hybrid with the slime heavy duty tubes

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We do the extra most thickets tubes with slime in them. That's the only way we can prevent flats. But they are a little heavier is ounces is a concern.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Weights not an issue. I was thinking more along the lines of tires with reinforcement in them. He's had the extra thick tubes with slime I think which haven't made much difference.

Kevin B.

Big hippy

Continental Gatorskins are said to be pretty flat resistant. But I've never had an issue with thornproof tubes getting flats, and if he's slimed them too that ought to seal the deal. Are we sure that it's goatheads causing the flats, or does he maybe have burrs or something inside the wheel rubbing holes in the tube?

If it is thorns, I hear Tannus Armor inserts are unstoppable.