Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I rode a mountain bike today for the first time for like 4 miles.. so I am pretty much a pro.

I have noticed that vertical racks have different style mounts, some handle bar, some fork, and some tire. Which would you choose, and why? I am going to make one I think.. but don't know which way to go.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I rode a mountain bike today for the first time for like 4 miles.. so I am pretty much a pro.

I have noticed that vertical racks have different style mounts, some handle bar, some fork, and some tire. Which would you choose, and why? I am going to make one I think.. but don't know which way to go.

I have an Alta rack, which cradles the tire. Things I like about it - the only contact the bike has is the rubber. No damage to paint or carbon fiber like you risk with the fork and stem mount racks. Things I don't like about it - you need a basket that approximates the tire size, and I carry everything from road bikes to kids bikes to fat bikes, which means I'll need an assortment of baskets. I also don't like the wimpiness of these particular baskets, and if I were going to buy another rack right now I'd probably go for a Velociracks instead because of the stouter build.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have an Alta rack, which cradles the tire. Things I like about it - the only contact the bike has is the rubber. No damage to paint or carbon fiber like you risk with the fork and stem mount racks. Things I don't like about it - you need a basket that approximates the tire size, and I carry everything from road bikes to kids bikes to fat bikes, which means I'll need an assortment of baskets. I also don't like the wimpiness of these particular baskets, and if I were going to buy another rack right now I'd probably go for a Velociracks instead because of the stouter build.

Also, I've got 5 in our family. Would yo go with a 5 bike carrier.. or buy/build one like a 7 bike just for fun?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Back in the 90’s ‘climbing bars’ on the ends of handle bars were a thing.
I could never afford them. After all, I was 12 years old, and $20 may as well have been $200.
Now that I can afford them, why are they not a thing anymore?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I could never afford them. After all, I was 12 years old, and $20 may as well have been $200.
No expert but think the new geometry makes them less necessary, combo’d with generally wider bars.

I’m with you though when a bought a bike 7-8 years ago i bought a set of bar ends to put on, never installed them if you’re looking 😂

Last edited:

rholbrook

@jeeper Look at the Velocirax. They have the nicest one out there. I have a Thule thats nice. Harrison won a gift card for $4K from Thule for one of the races he won so we got it then. You can make it go from a 4 place to a 2 place but its a nice one. Harrison did some riding for Velocirax that @sixstringsteve was filming for them. If I was get a hanging rack, it would be this one, plus they have one that can carry 7 bikes. Video Link

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have some climbing bar ends I pulled off a bike. You can have them.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Mostly because geometry changes to bikes have made them less effective. Steeper seat tubes and wider handlebars conspire to shift your weight more forward of the bottom bracket already, so bar ends aren't really necessary. You still see riders use them, but mostly the long distance touring/bikepacking set that want them more for the extra hand positions than for climbing.

I have a set that I sometimes run inboard of the shift levers to give me a hand position very much like the hoods on a drop bar bike. Great for long distance rides or getting slightly smaller in a headwind, but they don't offer much on the trail.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
@jeeper Look at the Velocirax. They have the nicest one out there. I have a Thule thats nice. Harrison won a gift card for $4K from Thule for one of the races he won so we got it then. You can make it go from a 4 place to a 2 place but its a nice one. Harrison did some riding for Velocirax that @sixstringsteve was filming for them. If I was get a hanging rack, it would be this one, plus they have one that can carry 7 bikes. Video Link

My wife told me that I am not as cool as I thought I was, and just to buy one instead of make one.

I have a new 7 bike Velocirax still in boxes in the back of my truck as of today.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Ok, another random thought.. All tires for trucks, jeeps, dirt bike, ect are more effective with MORE tread. Older bicycle tires used to have taller tread. New tires have little tiny nubs poking up. Why is this?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Ok, another random thought.. All tires for trucks, jeeps, dirt bike, ect are more effective with MORE tread. Older bicycle tires used to have taller tread. New tires have little tiny nubs poking up. Why is this?
Rolling efficiency. You'll also notice most knobs are now ramped on the leading edge, also for increased rolling efficiency. I'm a dumb dirt biker, I run big knobby fat tires. I pedal for exercise dammit!.

Kevin B.

Big hippy

You'll find all sorts of tires. Generally speaking, larger more aggressive tread means better traction at the expense of weight and rolling resistance. XC tires meant to roll fast on mild terrain have much smaller and closer knobs than DH or enduro tires that need to bite hard in all sorts of conditions but don't have to climb at speed.

I'm with Chad, I ride in a desperate attempt to not be fat AF. Bring on the weight, bring on the rolling resistance.

rholbrook

I bought a Giant Stance E+ 1 last fall and its time to roll it over and get a new one. Its a GREAT bike and fulfilled its purpose of getting my wife and I out doors riding. I will let you look at the specs online. I am putting it on KSL for $4,500. I will come off of that a couple of hundred for an RME'er. These things are really hard to get and its in great shape. I believe its a medium frame. My wife is 5'7" and the medium goes up to 5'11" with Giant. @Gravy road it and based on all the hooping and hollering, it must have been fun.

Tonkaman

I bought a Giant Stance E+ 1 last fall and its time to roll it over and get a new one. Its a GREAT bike and fulfilled its purpose of getting my wife and I out doors riding. I will let you look at the specs online. I am putting it on KSL for $4,500. I will come off of that a couple of hundred for an RME'er. These things are really hard to get and its in great shape. I believe its a medium frame. My wife is 5'7" and the medium goes up to 5'11" with Giant. @Gravy road it and based on all the hooping and hollering, it must have been fun.
I’ve been trying to convince myself not to buy an e-bike for a few months now. I feel you twisting my arm pretty hard… I may have to pray to the dirt gods tonight and see if I need another dirt toy