Any Plumbers Here? - Water Softener Removal

Coco

So when we bought our house, it came with an older water softener. The home inspector had mentioned it was an old unit and it was in its last leg.

Neither the wife or I have ever had one in the past, and really don’t think we want to bother with it. We actually think it is causing an allergic reaction with our skin. We would just like to get it removed and the line bypassed, but don’t feel comfortable enough doing it ourselves. Figured I would reach out to the community and see if anyone had experience? Anyone willing to remove it could keep the unit if you would like, or I’ll be happy to pay for your time as well.

Coco

I will take a look at it tonight and see if I can just bypass it. I remember seeing a valve on the top of the water softener, but not on any of the plumbing. I will inspect further.

Coco

Thank you gents, I will look at it more this evening, and see what I can screw come up with. :D The whole house was replumbed with PEX so hopefully its rather easy. But yeah, this particular adulting is all new to me. 😅

Last edited:

Coco

I got nothing other than the two valves on the back of the softener itself. The upper valve goes to the water heater.IMG-7082.JPGIMG-7083.JPG

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Yep, that should do it. Mine looks nearly identical and has BYPASS embossed on the plastic valves. If you look on the back of the head you can see the black plastic transfer tube that let's the water bypass.

Coco

Awesome, thank you gents for the hand holding, and walking me through this. Should be able to just remove everything, and leave that piece then for the bypass? Just disconnect the end just after the valves, and assuming everything should be good to pull out and get rid of after that. :cool:

Last edited: