Any plumbers on here willing to give advice? Hole in outside water line

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've never done this before, but just thinking....can you run the new plastic line through the old pipe? Then just cut the old pipe a foot or so off at the street.

Didn't see this. I'm guessing the galvanized is gonna have some buildup going on inside it in some spots so I'm betting probably not. :(

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I still have my galv lines from 1947. I'd take on the redo in the crawlspace but that main line, I'd like to have a pro do. My RO filters get rusty brown pretty quickly, so it's safe to say my days are numbered.

If/when you find a company (I may have a decent one, too. I'll check with my neighbors whom had the whole shebang done.), I'd like to know.

Since the weather is turning soon, I'm actually just going to attempt to rent a mini-excavator tomorrow and run the new line. I have the new poly pipe and fittings all ready to go, and I drilled a new hole for a straight run into the concrete wall to bypass the elbow in the footing. I'll let you know how it goes! $100 in parts and ~$200-300 in a rental will sure beat $3-5k for somebody else to do the same job.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Since the weather is turning soon, I'm actually just going to attempt to rent a mini-excavator tomorrow and run the new line. I have the new poly pipe and fittings all ready to go, and I drilled a new hole for a straight run into the concrete wall to bypass the elbow in the footing. I'll let you know how it goes! $100 in parts and ~$200-300 in a rental will sure beat $3-5k for somebody else to do the same job.

Did you call blue stakes??
Good luck! Hope it goes well for you! The first one I did, I ended up breaking the connection from the water meter to the blue poly pipe. It was on my side of the meter, and it took me a million hours to find the right part, as it was a city specific meter.

SnwMnkys

Its an easy job one you tear into it. Do you have a sprinkler system installed? If not, do you plan on adding one? Id add a stop and waste to your main line while youre replacing it and run sprinkler line somewhere you can easily access it at ground level for the future so you dont have to dig down to your main again.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Whatcha oughta do is dig in front of the meter, put a T fitting in, and run a second line that's unmetered. Have your culinary/house water be metered, and all your yard water be ran from the T fitting X-D #kiddingthatstheft

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Ok done and done. Luckily we dug at both the house and the meter instead of going straight from the meter. So I found out that had I dig back another foot I would have seen that there is already blue poly line there. They just never ran it all the way in! So I cut and adapted right into it and made a short run through a new hole in the concrete wall. I left the old pipe there and capped it in the ground and just cut it off inside.

Awesomeness. Still took nearly the whole day but that saved a ton of time not having to tear up the whole yard. I’ll post a couple photos soon

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Sorry for not replying to many of the posts today. I appreciate all the input, it was very helpful!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Aaand the basement drain backed up again today. Bad enough that I can’t get the clog to unhook with my snake. So had a guy come out and fish a cam through. 3ft outside the house a damn root is growing into a rubber gasket union on a junction at the cleanout. Awesome.

They rooted it out. I’m gonna have them fix this one. I’m tired of digging holes.