Any RME'ers Race BMX?

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Anyone here race BMX??? I used to race back in early to mid 90's at the track in Murray behind the Jr. High. I got out of racing before they moved to Rad Canyon and SOOOOOOO much has changed in the 23+ years since I raced. I am looking to get back into racing and it seems the "core" shops back then no longer exist. I have spent a good amount of time on the internet (Dans Comp is still around!) researching bikes but it's tough to test ride a bike sitting my chair here.

I went and talked with a super knowledgeable kid at 50/50 the other day but they don't really stock any race bikes at all. It sounds like anything I want would be a special order and I really just want to ride a cruiser to see if I like it. Any recommendations on a local (Ogden to Sandy) shop that may have some cruisers in stock. I think I really want to ride a 24" cruiser instead of a 20 inch. I jumped on a 20 inch bike the other day and it just didn't feel comfortable at all.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 12904

I have a 24" se racing floval flyerI've taken out a few times in the winter when the race inside. I feel to fat and slow so never really got into it like I thought

Jesser04

I have a 20” GT speed series pro xl you are welcome to come take for a ride. I did a lot of dirt jumping as a kid and now my son is getting into racing I’ve raced a couple times and we practice in Farmington every Wednesday in the summer. The bike are so smooth and fast compared to what I rode in the mid to late 90’s. What bike did you ride? Do you know how long the top tube was?

Attachments

• B7109783-4F56-4C93-9989-70AB49D2D747.png
    B7109783-4F56-4C93-9989-70AB49D2D747.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 1D91C632-7847-405E-B305-50E6D8ADCA91.png
    1D91C632-7847-405E-B305-50E6D8ADCA91.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 751F3C4B-C283-46A5-8002-B590209B8AF6.jpeg
    751F3C4B-C283-46A5-8002-B590209B8AF6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Jesser04

I got our bikes from salt cycles in sandy they were the only place that had what I wanted in stock at the time. I’d probably ordered through 50/50 or Kent’s sports store on my kids next bike which will be this spring this is a spendy hobby. There is a guy that has a trailer at rad canyon every week and he is super helpful with parts and what not I bet he can get bikes also.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I have a 24" se racing floval flyerI've taken out a few times in the winter when the race inside. I feel to fat and slow so never really got into it like I thought
That is one of the bikes I was looking at. Not sure if I want to drop that kind of coin right off of the bat. Do you like it? Worth the money?

I did hear that my class would be pretty competitive. The kid told me to plan on getting my ass kicked for at least a year if not more. Not sure that sounds like a lot of fun.

I have a 20” GT speed series pro xl you are welcome to come take for a ride. I did a lot of dirt jumping as a kid and now my son is getting into racing I’ve raced a couple times and we practice in Farmington every Wednesday in the summer. The bike are so smooth and fast compared to what I rode in the mid to late 90’s. What bike did you ride? Do you know how long the top tube was?

I have no clue what bike I rode recently. I want to say it was a Fit (maybe?!?!?)? I don’t think it was a racing bike, more of a dirt jump bike and I have no clue what length the TT was. Farmington would be my track as I live in Layton. I went to a few shops in Salt Lake looking for someone that had a cruiser to test ride. No luck... I’ll keep searching since I’m in no rush. I remember as a kid people sold used bikes at the track all of the time. That was before the KSL Classifieds though.

Jesser04

Practice starts 5/29 in Farmington come ride my bike and if you want to come ride it sooner pm me. Cruisers are in the open class I believe so it is more competitive than the 20”. How tall are you? I’m close to 6’ and I ride and xl and should ride a xxl.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Practice starts 5/29 in Farmington come ride my bike and if you want to come ride it sooner pm me. Cruisers are in the open class I believe so it is more competitive than the 20”. How tall are you? I’m close to 6’ and I ride and xl and should ride a xxl.
I’m 6’ as well. I may take you up on the offer to ride yours at practice. I’ll let you know.

That GT does look sweet and around the price range I’m looking.

D

Deleted member 12904

I think it’s worth the money. I still ride it around all the time. I’m out in grantsville but if you want to borrow it and take it to the track that’s coo with me as long as you get it back to me in a resonable amount of time

Evolved

Less-Known Member
@Jesser04 @deviant
Question on a few bike brands. I have been poking around eBay and other classified sites and see there are a few DK and Redline cruisers listed a few times. I remember DK being a descent brand and Redline being a solid name as well. Have they become cheap brands or do they still make quality products? There is also a Free Agent on eBay that is just missing forks for a descent price right now. Free agent seemed to be a pretty good brand back in the day, is that still the case?

It seems like the brands that were bigger back in the day have disappeared...

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those brands but I buy a DK first given the choice.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a DK Sprinter 24” last night. I wasn’t going to buy a new bike so soon but my wife said the infamous line of “I don’t care, do what you want”. So I did! I’m super pumped to get back on a bike but pretty nervous to actually get out there and ride. It’s been 24 years since I’ve actually raced.
https://dkbicycles.com/products/2018-dk-sprinter-cruiser

jsudar

Bike Barn in Lehi is pretty much all BMX. They are a small shop and don't stock a ton of inventory and they aren't close to you, but that's where I go for BMX. I can't remember if they had cruisers or not. Might be worth a phone call.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I also use to race out in Murray. I’ve never done rad canyon. My son was wanting to try racing, and I have thought about buying another bike.
It will be fun to see how well (or not well) you do!

Evolved

Less-Known Member
well, I could probably update this. The bike I originally bought online wasn’t available. Ended up having to file a dispute with PayPal to get my money back. Needless to say but if anyone needs BMX stuff DON’T order from Time 2 Shine BMX. After I didn’t get a tracking number I called asking for an update and the guy told me then the bike wasn’t available. Went back and forth a few days before calling PayPal and filing a dispute.

Went to 50/50 in Layton and ordered a Haro Pro 24 cruiser that should be here next week. I got a helmet for a killer deal from Backcountry.com. I am all set and ready to ride! I would be going to practice at Rad Canyon this Monday but we have to make an unplanned trip to Boise.

Can’t wait!

It will be fun to see how well (or not well) you do!

I have the same feelings lol!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Good luck! My oldest two boys raced at Rad canyon around 2010. It was super fun. They (rad canyon) had the top attendance for weekly ABA races in the country. Back then they were having 40+ heats a night. I tried it a few times and was going to buy a 24" but my boys lost interest before I bought a bike. From my understanding the 29+ age group was in one bracket and two of the top 10 guys in the country are in SLC and in that age group, that is why it is so competitive. It is a great cardio workout, 50 second sprints!

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Looks like there is practice in Farmington tonight you going?

I actually went out to Rad Canyon for practice last night. I had a blast getting out on the track. Realized a few things; it is a hell of a lot harder than I remember, I am going to get my ass kicked weekly, I am definitely not as agile as I was 20+ years ago and mostly importantly... it was as fun as I remember!

I may try and make it to Legacy tonight. Gotta see what activities my family has going on tonight. I can’t wait to get back on the track again already.