anybody have a media blaster?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'vve got a pair of shorty headers for my V8 Miata. They are 'finished' in the black shipping coating which is not paint. I'm thinking I ought to slap a quick coat of paint on them before installation, which necessitates removing the shipping coating. Can anybody help me out here?

My only option available to me personally is to put them in our parts washer here at work... but I have my doubts that this will remove the coating. Or am I wrong? Should I try it?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That could work? I’m getting some wheels blasted for @lbryson’s XJ. Pretty reasonable at $25 per wheel. I’d imagine headers would be similar cost?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I brought the headers to work today. When I put them in the parts washer, I turned on everything--the heater, the oil skimmer, etc--and set it for an hour. After that first cycle, some of the coating is softened and lifted off. Cool. I wire brushed off everything that was loose, then set it for another cycle. Maybe this will get the coating entirely off there... eventually.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I brought the headers to work today. When I put them in the parts washer, I turned on everything--the heater, the oil skimmer, etc--and set it for an hour. After that first cycle, some of the coating is softened and lifted off. Cool. I wire brushed off everything that was loose, then set it for another cycle. Maybe this will get the coating entirely off there... eventually.
You could try soaking them in Heinz cleaning vinegar. It's like $5 a gallon and you could dilute that quite a bit.