Anybody need a big block Olds 455 engine?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I took a walk through the Pick N Pull on 33rd today and saw they had this '68 Toronado in stock:

68Toronado_zpsbetx8fhu.jpg

That's a complete 455 engine, which doesn't exactly grow on trees anymore. I thought I'd mention it here just in case somebody could use it for an Oldsmobile project.

OTOH, if you want to follow in my footsteps the same yard had three Vortec 454s. ;)

RogueJeepr

Here!
Wonder if its any good ?
Then again, there is a reason its in the junkyard.

The only reason I say that is. I picked up a block from a JY and had it rebuilt. It ran great for a few weeks, then steam came out the pipes.

I told the engine guy to look it over before it was rebuilt. He said it was good.
Come to find out certain blocks had air bubbles in the casting process and when it was bored out, we found those bubbles.
I found another block that ran and he built that for me.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I grew up driving a Buick Limited from time to time. It had a 455. It was a boat, but fun to smoke ricers in.

My first car was a '71 Riviera. 510 ft lbs of torque :D FASTER than expected. Kind of a bigger, sporty car (at least that's how it was marketed). It'd pass anything but a gas station.

I had a '68 Skylark that I swapped in various 430 and 455 Buick engines into. I'm SHOCKED the 10 bolt held up to that kind of torque like I drove that car.

Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs are somewhat close cousins of the Buicks but don't really share any powerplant engineering that I'm aware of. Transmissions, frames, body shapes, suspension etc. are all interchangeable between the respective GM platforms. Just sheet metal, interior and power train differences made those barges unique. Better than the badge engineering of the 80s.

The Toronado above is a very unique rig. Front wheel drive that could handle 500 ft lbs of torque. Kind of a cool car in it's own way.