Anyone done a "cement" wall in a room in their house?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We have a room I am now finishing in our house. It's kind of a dungeon and I wanted to expand on that "feel" (but hopefully in a cool way?). My wife wants to paint it "cement" with all kinds of Instragram methods and such. Is there a way I can just goober some $5 bag cement on the walls and have something that would hold up? To heavy for the sheetrock? Other better ideas to get a "cement" look without spending 12 days with different shades of gray (oh, that's going somewhere not intended :thinking:) and sheetrock knife "painting"?

I also am kicking around an "island" in that room. Kind of a centrally located workbench. Successes/failures with something like that?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Stucco? It's basically cement, but meant for walls and such?

For whatever reason, stucco hadn't crossed my mind. I think it's a solid solution?

No one else is curious about this “dungeon” where he and his wife are going to be tirelessly “working“ on their shades of grey?

Hey, if you'd read the book... (I haven't)

Was thinking like the fiber board you use for tile with just the mortar or thin set might do what you're looking for.

That's solid idea as well. I think the thin set could work pretty well and I do have a little experience with that

Just rhino line everything in your life already. Maybe spray foam and paint over

$$$$$ I'd have do that with your Visa card, not mine

I think actual cement would droop. Spraycrete or something like that maybe?

I'll check that one out as well.

The room is just in a weird part of the house with no windows. Of course that's my "room" :D. I got a good chunk of the sheetrock (that was leftover from the rest of the house) hung yesterday but my finishing skills with sheetrock are pretty sub par. I usually get mad and break out my DA sander which isn't an option right now (no compressor). Being that it's kind of a dungeon, I thought I'd just go along with that theme but make it more of a "bunker".

Reactions: DAA

Tonkaman

Stucco seems like the best fit for the application. It will finish fairly rough though, is that a concern? Maybe somtone

Do you plan to attach anything to the walls? Pictures, shelves, benches?? Stucco does not do a good job of supporting and cracks easily. Permanent things would need to be planned in advance since repairs would be tedious.

Concrete board would be stronger but the cost would add up. I’ll bet you could skim coat and sand it to a smooth finish though.

In the end the painting including labor may actually be the cheapest option.

Reactions: DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Cement board or fiber board would be a good idea. You can also use concrete foundation coating. They carry it in bags at Home Depot just like the other types of cement mixes.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If it’s finished Sheetrock now, you could cover it with sanded paint to get that concrete vibe. My house is stucco/shotcrete. I wouldn’t want that for any interior finish, it’s way too rough.