Anyone have an Android TV?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
NBA time is just about upon us again.... hehestreams worked well last season, but doesn't appear to exist anymore. šŸ˜¬
Anyone have any leads in how I can watch these things?
Bouncy bouncy tall guy shortsball isn't my game but I've been able to screen mirror all the apps (like Peacock for Supercross) that won't play in my tv through a cheap tablet.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Bouncy bouncy tall guy shortsball isn't my game but I've been able to screen mirror all the apps (like Peacock for Supercross) that won't play in my tv through a cheap tablet.
I've done that with mixed results, but the bigger problem is finding a source to stream the games from.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
youtube tv? i don't have it, but when i was researching it a year or so ago, it seemed like it had lots of sportsing stuff?
Just looked into it....looks like I can watch any of the games that are carried on TNT, ESPN, and NBA TV through YouTube. But not the rest, which are only on AT&T Sports Net AGAIN. Youtube TV says $65/month. That's better than $85/month for DirecTV, but not much better. :mad:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It baffles me why the re-up with AT&T.

I don't see that listed on FuboTV's site, so it will be interesting which package carries that channel. Might save some $$ over DirecTV Stream, which is the only current option. (which I've paid for one month, so we'll see how that goes...I really hate the price though)

Evolved

Less-Known Member
It baffles me why the re-up with AT&T.

I don't see that listed on FuboTV's site, so it will be interesting which package carries that channel. Might save some $$ over DirecTV Stream, which is the only current option. (which I've paid for one month, so we'll see how that goes...I really hate the price though)
I just saw that on IG. Thought it may be an option, possibly a cheaper option??

I work in the pro sports world, AND wife my wife is a sports nut. Needless to say we watch a LOT of sports in my house and spend a LOT of money doing so (not as much as crawling). Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t be as expensive if I didnā€™t change my mind and start a new build every 4-5 years?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just saw that on IG. Thought it may be an option, possibly a cheaper option??

I work in the pro sports world, AND wife my wife is a sports nut. Needless to say we watch a LOT of sports in my house and spend a LOT of money doing so (not as much as crawling). Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t be as expensive if I didnā€™t change my mind and start a new build every 4-5 years?

FWIW, I'm pretty tired of all the games to watch the games..... AT&T SportsNet is a total joke without having their own stream. I'd give them $15 a month to just have that channel. I'm NOT willing to throw $100 a month for a shitty cable or satellite service that has hundreds of channels I couldn't give a rats ass about and frankly don't want to give those crooked bastards ANY money for a subscription. CNN, MSNBC, FOXNews, shopping channel 1-43, joke channel 1-12, etc don't give me ANY value but I pay those shitheads so I can get sports?

I've kind of quit giving a shit about the sports teams due to all the bullshit it is to watch them. I've been a pretty dedicated fan but am totally sick of the games to watch the games.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
SLTrib says even the lowest "starter" Fubo package will have AT&T, so that will save me $20/month. We've made the decision to do the DirecTV thing already, so I'm committed to spending way too much to watch TV--so $20 savings will be welcome. DirecTV Stream has been a bit disappointing so far. The one game we watched worked fine, but then we found out the cloud DVR service can't be cast to a TV, so that's useless. And the "on demand" stuff......isn't. Tried to watch a movie on demand, and it says "airing Oct 21st". That doesn't seem "on demand" to me.

mbryson

Supporting Member

Here's an updated list of how to watch Jazz games along the Wasatch Front ā€” legally:​

Xfinity/Comcast: A middle of the road TV package gets you access to AT&T SportsNet. The price tag for this package says $70, but be prepared for fees on top of that: broadcast TV fee, Regions Sports fee, a TV box, more potential equipment rentals ā€” it all adds up fast.

DirecTV: New customers can get a promo deal for the first year if they sign a two-year contract, but then there's the second year. For the first 12 months, a "Choice" package will get fans AT&T SportsNet for $69 per month. For the second 12 months, however, that bill will soar north of $120.

DirecTV stream: The lone package ("Choice") that includes AT&T SportsNet is $85. This has what has caused so much frustration among fans. DirecTV stream is the most expensive of the premium TV streaming services ā€” Sling, YouTube TV, fuboTV ā€” and was the only option for Jazz fans ā€¦ until now.

fuboTV: After Monday's announcement, fuboTV said the $65 "Starter" pack will include access to Jazz games. But that comes with this caveat: "Customers in certain areas will be subject to a regional sports fee." That information ā€” along with when the network will start streaming on the platform ā€” should be announced in the coming days.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
But that comes with this caveat: "Customers in certain areas will be subject to a regional sports fee." That information ā€” along with when the network will start streaming on the platform ā€” should be announced in the coming days.
Hmmmmm. :thinking:

mbryson

Supporting Member

Yeah.... death by a thousand cuts.... Like I said, it's getting to be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth to me. I built a pretty cool room in my basement so I can watch games wherever I'm at in the room (yes, it's that big) and now I don't want to pay for TV service due to all the stupid hoops

mbryson

Supporting Member
Interesting article I found while I had a drink.

Thereā€™s a lot of pessimism facing Jazz fans for wanting a specialized streaming service for the Jazz but we break down how reality is on their side
By adambushman1 Oct 11, 2021, 11:43am MDT
4 Comments
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Share this story​

2021 NBA Playoffs - LA Clippers v Utah Jazz
Despite the arguments against a streaming service, thereā€™s enough evidence supporting the practicality of Jazz fan requests for alternative viewing methods Photo by David Sherman/NBAE via Getty Images

Every so often our social media-verse is upended by various viral topics eliciting our attention. Be it milk crates, games about squids, or the next 007, youā€™re bound to have your phone blow up eventually.

The Utah Jazz fanbase experienced a similar phenomenon mid-last week on the subject of mediums with which to watch the team. Who knew the biggest frustration for fans would be impediments to consume the product?
After reports of Dish Network dropping ATTSNhit the news cycles, the beehive state was a buzz (I just had to okay) with fans clamoring for alternative methods to watch their team.
Fans were met with some disdain, primarily being accused of wanting the games for free. You can imagine how that was received.

Generally speaking, fans have been discouraged by most media personnel about alternative methods to watch their team. Today, weā€™ll debunk some of those arguments and explain a service that follows a model seen across other entertainment industries and

Important Context​

Itā€™s important to note how the Jazz make money from their games.

LATEST VIDEO FROM SB NATION

The Cleveland Cavaliers nearly died in 1983 | CHOSEN​

1_th.jpg

The Utah Jazz collect revenue from the league as part of the NBAā€™s ā€œsharingā€ of revenue generated from NBA League Pass (available to out of market fans) and National TV games. Whatever is done with the Jazz local broadcast wonā€™t affect these options. So weā€™ll factor them out for this discussion.
revenue_streams.jpg
Local TV related revenue streams for the Utah Jazz Adam Bushman, SLC Dunk
The Utah Jazz then collect revenue from advertisements, those announced during the broadcast (i.e. ā€œJiffy Lube Team Timeoutā€ or ā€œFord Dunkā€) as well as ads that run during commercial breaks.

Per a source within the Jazz organization, the Utah Jazz coordinate and sell these advertisement spots directly with local businesses. Therefore, any ad revenue currently collected will continue in a streaming service.
That leaves local TV rights revenue from their current partner AT&T SportsNet. The topics and math below related to a TV deal (or replacing such with a streaming service) are designed to replace this revenue.

The Service​

Early last week a proposal was made via Twitter thread for an in-house streaming service. Following additional research and thanks to a more appropriate medium, Iā€™d like to detail the service.
Imagine a service that has live and pre-recorded content. This service is accessible from any internet browser, but also features a channel on the various casting apps like Roku, Fire Stick, and Apple TV, as well as apps from your phoneā€™s app store.
Imagine a service thatā€™s paid via a monthly subscription or, for a small discount, paid on an annual basis. There are varying levels of subscriptions, unlocking additional content and removing certain advertisements.
Imagine this service creates catered, unique content and series that cannot be found elsewhere.

You probably donā€™t have to imagine for too long before settling on a service that actually exists: Hulu. While following a similar model, the service actually being described is a Utah Jazz streaming service.

ESPN+ is a similar model concentrated in the sports industry. Again, widely available, live and pre-recorded content, subscription-based, unique series, and access to premium features.
While such services are increasingly more abundant, itā€™s not without its difficulties. Thereā€™s infrastructure, physical and virtual, to setup in addition to content teams to assemble.
The point is such services are out there and are the future (more on these topics later).

ā€œJazz are Leaving A Lot of Money on the Tableā€​

Many have pointed to the fact that the Jazz are likely to command $30-$40M in TV rights revenue with a new deal given the excellent local ratings and recently signed deals from other teams.
If the Utah Jazz sole goal is to maximize their TV rights revenue and grab every cent available to them, a direct-to-consumer streaming service will not get that done.

Such a goal comes at a cost, specifically pricing out. $85 per month (your average TV packaging including local sports) and all of its red tape has proven to turn away customers, and Jazz fans are no exception.

Fortunately, the Utah Jazz are giving indications that maximizing TV rights revenue IS NOT their only goal:
ā€œStreaming is absolutely our top priority... There are gonna be better options in the future.ā€ - Jim Olson, ESPN700
ā€œBetter access to broadcasts remains a top priority for future seasons, and we are pursuing ways to improve viewing options of Jazz games for fans.ā€ - Jazz Senior Vice President of Communications Frank Zang commented to the Salt Lake Tribune.
Ryan Smith and Dwyane Wade take in the Jazz-Clippers series in Salt Lake City Photo by David Sherman/NBAE via Getty Images
ā€œI do believe that we can do better at not just the one size fits all... Iā€™m excited for that challenge and this is right in our wheelhouse.ā€ - Jazz Majority Owner Ryan Smith commented to the Salt Lake Tribune.
My interpretation here is that giving consumers an excellent experience is as much of a priority as securing a lucrative TV deal.

ā€œThe Math is Hardā€​

Some math is hard, but as long as we keep our facts straight, anyone could do fine with this subject matter.

In fairness, what is actually meant with this argument against streaming is that the balance between volume (# of subscribers) and efficiency (per month subscription cost) is difficult to equate the current and future TV deal approximations.
This argument generally comes in response to ideas such as matching the league pass cost with 20K subscribers. That math is hard, but if we use what real numbers we have, we can get there.
As a stipulation, we donā€™t have all the numbers. In fact, Jazz President Jim Olson on ESPN700ā€™s Friday afternoon drive show admitted that no one knows the real breakdown of Utah TV households whose focus with their TV package is the Utah Jazz.
However, we can get a good idea with the numbers we do have. Letā€™s go over those (watch the video if math is intimidating):

*NOTE: this is an average rating and is not indicative of how many TV households are consuming Jazz games; that number will be higher

Based on the above numbers, we can deduce that the average number of households tuning into Jazz games via local TV is approximately 70,800 (0.059 * 1.2M).
But remember, thatā€™s an average. The REAL % of TV households consuming Jazz games is likely in the 8-10% range. People pay and donā€™t watch all the time, or they record the game, or go to the game.
Such human behavior affects the public TV rating, but TV providers are still cashing in and so would the Jazz.
At 8%, the Jazz have approximately 96,000 TV households tuning in via local TV. At 10%, the Jazz have approximately 120,000 TV households. These numbers also donā€™t count cord cutters who have opted to hunt for free streams every game.
In order to replace a new TV deal worth $30-$40 million, subscribers would need to pay between $20 and $35 monthly for the streaming service outlined above.
($30M / 120K / 12 = $20.83 and $40M / 100K / 12 = $33.33)
If Jazz are rolling out their own subscription service, thereā€™s no TV deal which means thereā€™s no traditional cable channel where you can watch the games. The TV household volume mentioned above would have to move over.
Good news is the math still works.

If you want to keep cable, $70 (basic) + $35 (Jazz) = $105, a $20 increase from what TV providers charge now. Cable loyalists will pay, just like many Jazz loyalists have overpaid for years.
If you want 100% streaming + cable, $65 (Hulu TV) + $35 (Jazz) = $90, only $5 more than what TV providers charge now. Theyā€™ll do it in a heartbeat.
If youā€™ve only ever wanted the Jazz, suddenly your bill is reduced +60% or if youā€™ve cut the cord, youā€™re only paying 40% of what you once paid.

As imperfect a poll as you can imagine, thereā€™s something to a $20-$35 per month option being viable.
Again, there are still problems to work out but thereā€™s clearly a path to this working.

ā€œThere Just Arenā€™t Any Precedentsā€​

This is a multi-layered argument. In a general sense, itā€™s incorrect. Sports are entertainment and the entertainment industry is actively bucking the old model sports is still stuck in.

For example, NBC continues to land TV rights revenue to TV networks but are also streaming live and catered content through Peacock, their in-house streaming service.

We already talked about ESPN+, which is another model like NBC in the sports verse.
But when pundits bring up precedents, theyā€™re really referring to a streaming service specializing in regional sports. Theyā€™re not referring to FuboTV, which was announced today as the 2nd streaming option for ATTSN.
There is a model forthcoming that is an over-the-counter, regional specialized streaming service from Sinclair Broadcast Group.
Sinclair, through their subsidiary Bally Sports, Sinclair owns the regional sports rights to ā€œmore than half of all MLB, NHL and NBA teams based in the United States.ā€ You may remember Sinclair looking to buy out ATTSNā€™s rights to the Utah Jazz back in 2019.
Sinclair is an RSN rights powerhouse and using their widespread reach to implement an over the counter option for fans beginning for next yearā€™s baseball season upon reaching their funding goals. Itā€™s reported that their target monthly subscription fee would be $23 for customers in market.

What does this mean for Jazz fans?​

Suppose the Utah Jazz and Sinclair strike a TV deal for the 2022-23 season. Jazz fans would have the option, through Sinclairā€™s streaming service, to pay $23/month and gain access to all games currently and historically distributed through ATTSN.

Not only is this model in the final stages of development as a real trailblazer, it validates our math of $20-$35 per month.
Thereā€™s disruption happening all over the entertainment industry. Even Jim Olsen mentioned in the aforementioned ESPN700 interview that, ā€œThe current model isnā€™t working... Weā€™re considering everything.ā€ While the sports industry is lagging a bit behind, thereā€™s evidence they are about to embark on a new era.
Given the Jazz desire to innovate and blaze new trails like with the practice facility, itā€™s disingenuous to argue against a streaming service because there are no active precedents.

Donā€™t buy the narrative circulating the Utah airwaves that a specialized streaming service for the Utah Jazz is impossible and outlandish.
Such claims are ignorant of the entertainment industry setting a precedent for sports and ignores forthcoming models backed by regional sports network powerhouses like Sinclair Broadcasting Group.
Itā€™s also disingenuous to praise Ryan Smith and the Jazz for their innovative nature and at the same time cast aside such an idea as ā€œunprecedentedā€ and ā€œnot how things are doneā€.
Ryan Smith is out to challenge everything; why is the TV deal an exception? Photo by Adam Pantozzi/NBAE via Getty Images
The counterarguments also fight what they call ā€œhard mathā€ with flawed math of their own, when in reality there is enough volume to command the TV deal money the Jazz could get typically via an exclusive streaming service.

Furthermore, such a service priced as outlined above leaves enough room for cable loyalists to continue to subscribe to basic services distributing national content while regaining a significant portion of the fanbase cut off from the team due to a multitude of factors.
The reality, as explained here, paints an optimistic future for Jazz fans following the conclusion of the ATTSN deal this season.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Is this deal going to continue when they move to Las Vegas in a couple years?
Ha ha, I don't think that would happen. This market packs that arena and really supports the team. There are other teams that would go there before Utah.

New Orleans, I'm looking at you.