Anyone have better luck on deer hunt?

Houndoc

Hoping most hunters did better than we did- one little spike was the only buck we found and decided to let him walk away.

Post your pics to give me some hope for next season....

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My kids didn't see many bucks during the archery hunt and the ones they did see were small. A neighbor who has a ton of family land near Lost Creek saw few bucks during the rifle hunt. He was told by the DNR that the area had around a 70% winter kill and it will be years before the area rebounds.

smfulle

My brothers moved the family hunt from the Gunnison, UT area to the St. George area a few years ago and I stopped attending. i never got a tag anyway. I just drove the kids around in the jeep. My brother sent me these pictures of his daughter's first buck shot this year. Not sure where in Southwest Utah they were, but this thing is pretty impressive.

Houndoc

Very nice buck- especially for a first deer. Down side starting out that way is it can set high expectations for years to come!

I had heard some people blaming low number of bucks on high winter kill, but we saw a lot of deer overall so not sure I believe it. I think I just need to adjust where I am hunting to years like this without the heavy higher mountain snow.

muleskinner

I shot this one in Southern Utah, north of the coral pink sand dunes. Pretty weird year for both deer and elk for me, I usually see quite a few animals but not this year.
a6QQeWn.jpg

nTfuB7O.jpg

I killed this bull yesterday with my muzzleloader. Over the counter elk tag on public ground.
E4ykYqO.jpg

94e3Ozv.jpg

muleskinner

My brothers moved the family hunt from the Gunnison, UT area to the St. George area a few years ago and I stopped attending. i never got a tag anyway. I just drove the kids around in the jeep. My brother sent me these pictures of his daughter's first buck shot this year. Not sure where in Southwest Utah they were, but this thing is pretty impressive.

That's a great buck, especially for a first buck!

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Here are a couple, mine still in the velvet that I took in the Zion unit. One of those hunts this year where “got excited and should have waited” I enjoy shooting long range and the opportunity came up for an Extreme long range shot, took this deer at 1340 yards... not something I would recommend to anyone who hasn’t taken thousands of shots at that distance and I wouldn’t have had the conditions not been perfect.

The next one is my little brothers deer he shot in the same area on the last day of the early rifle.

60C3DA5F-02A2-4FF3-BA59-9A6D644083D0.jpeg
3DFE03B0-D19F-4C5F-96D9-27B8EBB5F2AB.png
0AD333D6-6ACD-409B-B7DF-BF35D2551C0A.jpeg

Last edited: