Anyone here taken equipment into Canada?

rrefx

I'm on a job that's going to be spending a couple of weeks in upper Canada. I was just informed as to what it will take to get me, my crew, and my equipment in... and may I say what a pain in the a$$. I have to provide a full inventore of trailers and equipment, get it inspected here before I leave, get it inspected at the border, (I was informed to plan on 8 hours for this inspection) and that's after I've been on the road heading up, and also we have to pay $150 for every man going in.

DOes anyone here have any experiance with that inspection? Is there anything I should watch out for? Does the US make Canadians pay $150 a person to cross the border if their comming in on a small job? I started the inventory last week, took me 4 days to do. Guess I have too much junk. But what a headache!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have some experience with sending people and equipment abroad but its with the military... the inspection your talking about is the customs inspection... and they do take awhile to do... your best bet would be to box everything up in a connex and ship it there and then have all your crew go in as visitors or on their own... if you ship by connex they inspect it here and then it goes into the rail yard and you can't touch it until it gets to the final destination...

Just my .02 worth.

rrefx

I would, but my trailer weighs about 9 tons fully loaded, that's a lot of equipment to ship. I'm thinking I might unload most of teh trailer and just take the bare essentials, but that negetes the comveinince of taking the trailer. I have it built as a mobile shop for the very simple purpose of being able to do anything out of it that I might need to do. I know I'll just have to go on through, I'm just not looking foreward to it.