Anyone into 3D printing?

1969honda

Supporting Member
I know my BIL really likes OnShape, it's a cloud based CAD program with a lot of capabilities similar to SolidWorks.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I need to print a funnel. 2.5" small opening to about 10". I haven't looked hard enough for one on the webs and I don't want to cad it either... That is the problem with 3d printers for people without cad design skills.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Have you checked thingyverse? Tons of free models out there? Do you have an overall height limitation? 10 inches gets pretty big on most hobby printers.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I need to print a funnel. 2.5" small opening to about 10". I haven't looked hard enough for one on the webs and I don't want to cad it either... That is the problem with 3d printers for people without cad design skills.
the 10" opening is too big for my printer, I limit out around 8". I have done some stuff with Tinkercad, it's not too bad but it probably feels like using paint if you've ever used a bigger CAD program. I'd probably create the spout portion first, then cone your funnel portion to shape. Probably the hardest part is getting the hollowed out pieces centered.

quick 5 minute hack at what I picture you want...

Attachments

• funnel_screenshot.png
    funnel_screenshot.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 10

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've played with tinkercad a bit, as well as Fusion and some of the other offerings. I'm just not good because I haven't used any of them. Full disclosure I bought a funnel but it arrived cracked and was really flimsy and so I decided I needed to not be a doofus and just print what I need. My print parameters are 11x11x9.8.

I'll find what I need this morning on thingiverse.

Homefryy

I've played with tinkercad a bit, as well as Fusion and some of the other offerings. I'm just not good because I haven't used any of them. Full disclosure I bought a funnel but it arrived cracked and was really flimsy and so I decided I needed to not be a doofus and just print what I need. My print parameters are 11x11x9.8.

I'll find what I need this morning on thingiverse.

I don't know anything about design for 3D printing but I can easily put a model together for you. I have lots of experience with Solidworks and Inventor (what I currently have access to through work).

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I appreciate the offer but I found something on thingiverse that should work out for me. I "customized" it to my specs and its been rendering for 3 hours now, who knows how much longer it'll take.

I've got 4 civil engineers in my family that all have CAD skills. I've had my one brother help me with a few things I needed drawn up that had "important" specs.

As far as designing for 3d printing goes there actually are some things that need to be taken into consideration. Mostly it has to deal with overhangs and what angles work best for them. Print software can generate supports that are easily removed after the fact but if a part can be designed to not need supports then its generally better without them.

The_Lobbster

How complicated are we talking? I feel like my skills are about MS paint levels...

basically a ring adapter as seen here so I can run a Dana twin stick boot on my samurai case.

Attachments

• 89D94213-CC53-4DDC-9AF5-2F00A4D56DEA.jpeg
    89D94213-CC53-4DDC-9AF5-2F00A4D56DEA.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 26

RockChucker

Been messing with the printer a little more tonight. Found my adhesion problem was a z height offset issue with the first layer. This glass base that came with my printer is neat. It has some sort of plastic matrix that adheres to the part VERY well when the nozzle height is right. As of right now, no plans to use hairspray. I rev’d the HF jack release knob and drew my own that is a more favorable size. Here’s my progression. Lucky first print. Failed 2nd, failed 3rd with different slicer settings via cura rather than the creality slicer and finally my own knob design with cura slicer and only a brim that I used to dial in the nozzle height offset. FFEEF0A9-70B9-4674-A06C-935774312F14.jpeg
81E7D926-14F9-4A2E-9E46-D18F6873371C.jpeg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That is really cool. You could easily sell those all over the country. (tailored to local mountains)

x2 .... world wide, really. Offer versions for Mt Fuji, Mt Hood, Everest, K2, Kilimanjaro etc.

You wanted to get into dropshipping Dave, setup a Shopify store offering these for the popular mountains around the world, run ads to mountain climbers and outdoors folks on FB and start printing 3D models of mountains and shipping them out. You could also target people based on location, like Carl says. You control the product and quality, ship from home.... they're small and light weight. Seriously, you might be on to something big here. ;)