Anyone know anything about ORI struts?

Paul R

Has anybody had any experience with these?
img56.gif

www.oristruts.com

I had a roomate whose dad invented this strut that adjusts automatically on sidehills. It seemed like a cool idea but I don't understand the huge advantages to it or what it really does is this going to be one of the next steps in buggies or where is this going to go?
Interested in hearing more about it...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm pretty sure that's the same thing that Todd Little was running, long before any Air Shocks existed. IIRC, they were monster truck technology. From what I saw of them, and this years years ago, they allowed a lot of sway & didn't look too stable on sidehills. That could have been the suspension link design or just the rig itself. I'm sure a decent set of anti-sway bars would have been very helpful.

After seeing them on Todds rig, I don't recall seeing them on anyone else's rigs. They did have people in the competition circuit talking though, this was back in 2002-03? Most everyone else was still on coils or leafs.

Paul R

I'm pretty sure that's the same thing that Todd Little was running, long before any Air Shocks existed. IIRC, they were monster truck technology. From what I saw of them, and this years years ago, they allowed a lot of sway & didn't look too stable on sidehills. That could have been the suspension link design or just the rig itself. I'm sure a decent set of anti-sway bars would have been very helpful.

After seeing them on Todds rig, I don't believe anyone else ran them.

Yeah I'm know they sponsered Todd so those were probably them... I've never seen them in action, my old roomate was trying to explain them to me but I don't think he really understood them. I thought the whole thing they were supposed to do was be stable on sidehills, but if they didn't do that then it makes a lot of sense on why it didn't take off... from everything he was telling me it seemed really cool, but I had never heard of them...

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Those are definitely what Todd was running way back in the first season of UROC. His were red. I bet the manufacturer has a web site to explain the tech better.

Paul R

I have read through the site a few times.
So it seems like if I understand it right it comes down to the struts not doing what they were designed to do?

irb4ur

The Littles had a lot of trouble with them but stuck with it until ORI worked out the bugs. They still run them today but I haven't seen them compete lately. They are showing up on a few rock racers now and seem to be a lot more stable than coil-overs. Rick Deremo, Dave Smith and Buddy Daugherty are racing them.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I took this picture of todd's setup back in spring of 05 I think in cedar city. They seemed to work pretty good in his catilever suspension, but he had a lot of unique things on that rig so who knows.

Attachments

• cedar city skull canyon, wild wild west 102.jpg
    cedar city skull canyon, wild wild west 102.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 17

irb4ur

I took this picture of todd's setup back in spring of 05 I think in cedar city. They seemed to work pretty good in his catilever suspension, but he had a lot of unique things on that rig so who knows.
He must like them. He runs the struts by themselves without a sway bar, bump stops or limit straps. And he has them on all four corners of his personal Jeep--still no sway bar.