Anyone restricted from canyon driving in 4x4 without chains?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
So, here's the deal. UDOT is claiming that 4x4 OR chains are required for Parley's (typical). However, for Provo Canyon they are indicating that chains are required for ALL vehicles (with no apparent exceptions).

My question is this, has anyone in a capable 4x4 with good tires ever been kept from driving a canyon without chains? I'm gonna be heading back up Provo Canyon when I get off work in about 8 hours.

FWIW, I'm driving a Taco with siped 255/85 BFG KM2's, so I'm not worried. You just never know what to expect from the cops and their sometimes overly-cautious judgement.

RockChucker

Hmmm I've never been stopped before. But it has always been an either or stipulation. I can imagine it being an issue but it does seem that happy valley operates differently than salt lake

Cascadia

Undecided
I live at the mouth of Provo canyon. I have never ever seen them require chains for all vehicles in the canyon. I can't imagine it being much worse than at my house. We have about 10" of new powder today. I know this doesn't help your question but just letting you know I'm sure it's driveable without chains.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Yeah, I'm not worried about the drive one bit. It'll be interesting to see if they're actually stopping people and enforcing anything. There would have to be an epic amount of snow before my rig would need chains.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
FWIW, checked the UDOT website again, and Provo Canyon is still listed as "chains for ALL vehicles". Its still gonna be like 4 hours until I'm heading to the canyon, so they could lift that restriction by then. It will be interesting to see if they're stopping people at the mouth of the canyon, thats for sure... I definitely have no intentions of buying a pair of chains that I'll use once.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Most states enforce the chain law after the fact. If you spin out and crash, you'll get a chain law violation ticket.

The only place that has actually checked me for chains is Donner's Pass in California.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
FWIW, the UDOT website is lame and totally inaccurate. The canyon may as well have been a ghost town and just snow packed. An hour ago their website still said that all vehicle's were required to have chains. :rofl:

Fwiw I HATED my km2's in the snow. They clean-out too well.

Yeah, there are better options for snow/ice. If they ever make the BFG A/T in a 255/85/16, then I'd get 'em. In the meantime, I'll have to keep running heavily siped km2's.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Most states enforce the chain law after the fact. If you spin out and crash, you'll get a chain law violation ticket.

The only place that has actually checked me for chains is Donner's Pass in California.

Interesting you say that, since Donner's Pass is my only experience having to chain up, never here in UT.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I avoid chaining, when possible. Donner's and Cabbage are the only 2 places I ever really throw chains.

It really comes down to population density. I've never even seen the chain law in effect in Montana, and I go there at least once a week.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

About the same here in CO on I70 thru the mountains.... if you're spinning out & holding up traffic, they'll ticket you so hard it'll leave your head spinning! Lots of $$$ in fines.

With light snow (less than 3 inches) I agree. Deep snow I have had good results.

x2, the KM2's on my old FZJ were damn near unstoppable in deep snow. I would imagine the siping Von has done to his tires only help improve the KM2's where they need it the most, traction in icy conditions.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Interesting you say that, since Donner's Pass is my only experience having to chain up, never here in UT.

Drinkwater Pass, in Eastern Oregon. I like to take hwy 20 straight across, but if there's a storm over Drinkwater, I head for the Gorge and take my chances.

I'm running siped KM2s - they're a little sketchy on ice, but great in real snow, even over pavement.

LT.

Isn't there something about tires that have the snow flake symbol on them being able to for go the chain rule? Tires like the Pro Comp all terrain and the Goodyear Duratrac carry that symbol.

LT.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I don't see it being an issue unless you get stuck. If you are truckin along I don't see getting pulled over. But if you get stuck and start blocking traffic I would expect a citation