Anyone used Steel-It?

4x4_Welder

So I played around with this stuff a bit today, and it's pretty interesting. It went over nasty steel just fine, and while it looked like hammerite while drying it ended up even and flat. The color is pretty close to the Ford argent color they used on wheels and bumpers.
It comes out of the can way too fast, you need to really finesse the trigger to get a smooth application. It also stinks. It smells like a portable toilet in the middle of summer.
I'll probably order a few cans after I finish the bumper on my F250, as long as these sample pieces hold up ok.

RockChucker

I'm still waiting for my sample. I got email confirmation of my sample request on September 28....I'm thinking it's not happening. 😟
I ordered my sample several years ago when Steel-It was just entering the offroad scene. Even then it took several months to get the sample. I'm sure it is even worse now that so many people are using it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I finally ordered 4 cans of Steel-It for a project, got mine on Amazon, 2 day delivery and free shipping!

20211229_160425.jpg

It seems to spray nicely, I need to protect the inside of a truss before I weld it in place.

I was going to tape off the edges that I need to weld and powder coat the pieces, but there is a lot of weld area and cleaning up powder coating before welding sucks.

At least with the Steel-It, if I have any overspray it won't contaminate the welds.

20211231_131705.jpg
20220117_124808-X2.jpg