Anyone used Steel-It?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thinking about using this for my upcoming frame and cage build, looks like a great product... but it's not cheap.

"In business since 1974, STEEL-IT® brand coatings from Stainless Steel Coatings Inc., which are applied just like paint, contain custom-engineered 316L stainless steel flake for superior protection against corrosion, abrasion, and harsh chemicals. Although the individual flakes are indiscernible to the naked eye, under a microscope, STEEL-IT coatings show a neat horizontal layered alignment of tightly overlapping, pure 316L flakes that form a metallic barrier film near the coating’s surface. This makes the film nearly impervious to corrosion and corrosive elements."

It's popular in the offroad racing community due to it's durability, the fact that you can weld over it and it makes it easy to see cracks in roll cages, etc. Anyone on here used it?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Had a friend recently use it. It's not as weldable as they lead you to believe. You can weld it, but you won't be happy with the welds. As a paint, it's a decent product. I think any paint that has hardener added would have better long term results though.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Had a friend recently use it. It's not as weldable as they lead you to believe. You can weld it, but you won't be happy with the welds. As a paint, it's a decent product. I think any paint that has hardener added would have better long term results though.

Good to know! I doubt I'd really need to weld over it, but if the corrosion and chipping resistance is what they claim I think it might be worth it? It does look awesome when laid down.

The_Lobbster

No, I haven't received anything. This is a good reminder, I need to ask them what happened too.
I got an email back.

“Thank you for your interest in STEEL-IT brand coatings. Due to high demand, it may take 1-4 weeks to receive your sample. You will receive an email once your sample ships. We appreciate your patience.”

4x4_Welder

I ordered mine in October as well, and just got an email yesterday that it's on the way. If it's as good as they say then that'll be my go-to coating. I might even do the rear bumper in my F250 with it once that's finished.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
Just make sure that you mix the hell out of it before using. It tends to separate a little. And use gloves and clothes you don't care about. Also if you bought the spray, clean the nozzle after use

neagtea

Supporting Member
I like it but... I painted a cage and it over sprays the other bars tried a few things but wasn't as cool as I like. Welding? I buff it off to weld to it it does let ya weld but I was happier welding to bare steel. The black sprays better than the silver. Be ready to spend some dough. I probably would buy the gallon size next time I do a cage/chassis and play with the gun to see if it will go further. I will post a pic later.

Attachments

• jeep int.jpg
    jeep int.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 18