ARB leaking air

Westernhunter

Chrysler 8 1/4 is leaking air in the housing.
I have the cover off and I can hear it leaking from the locker itself.
Question is, what is the likely problem and can I pull the locker to take care of it without having to re set up the gears or anything like that?

Where do I buy replacement parts?

Thanks in advance. John.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Definitely installer error. Absolutely not the fault of an absurdly overly-complicated mechanism.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If it's coming out of the locker itself, then it just about has to be the piston inside that is leaking. It's fairly easy to replace, but does require removal of the carrier. On your axle, since the carrier position is set with adjuster nuts rather than shims, you will be messing with the setup of the gears.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Definitely installer error. Absolutely not the fault of an absurdly overly-complicated mechanism.

Well Carl builts sure don't do that... you comnect the dots. ARB's are about as complicated as a toaster. ;)

As Carl mentioned, likely a piston. Could be failed piston, debris in lube damage to housing, etc. Pistons are easy to source though associated labor is obviously ba chore. How old is the locker? Still operational?

Last edited:

Westernhunter

Still operable but leak has been getting worse over time.
This locker has been in this jeep for years but, 5 years ago I had it regeared but the shop messed up the bearings. I had another shop replace those and now this.
I was hoping I could remove the carrier and replace the worn parts without having to mess with and shimming or set up. That does not seem to be the case now. I may just pull the axle and take it to Carl. He did the front diff and it has been trouble free ever since.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I guess it comes down to the location of the leaking air sound. I interpret "from the locker" to mean inside. If it's simply leaking in the diff housing it could be an o-ring, failed line or bulkhead. All of which are easier to fix than an internal piston leak.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I was going to say an O-ring as they are the most common issues, usually damaged upon installation. However, seeing as how you mentioned that the ARB's have been in the Jeep for 5+ years, I would maybe lean towards a piston issue although rare. Check the air line connection really well prior to removing the carrier, both at the connection at the carrier as well as where it threads into the housing.

Mike.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Those O-rings should be replaced even if the leak is somewhere else--just because you'll be in there already.

Bob B

SO....the answer to your question is.. regardless of where your leak is, unless its got something to do with the "acorn collar" by the blue line, the carrier is going to have to come out. To replace the piston, the case needs to be split = carrier removal. Replace the air collar or the o-rings= carrier removal. Like Carl said, if you remove the carrier, you need to change the side adjusters= needs to be re-setup.
Really all your changing with the side adjusters is bearing preload and backlash (which could effect tooth depth), but since the gears are used and broken in, it would be good to get them as close to what they are now, or they could whine.