Area BFE

Pile of parts

So what do you know and where did I miss it?

I didn't make last week's trip to Coyote so I got even and ran it Saturday. We finished and thought we'd spend the rest of the day in Area BFE. Well.... it's all taped off and posted with no trespassing signs. A quick search on their website shows it closed in June and looks to be going to a membership based or fee area.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So what do you know and where did I miss it?

I didn't make last week's trip to Coyote so I got even and ran it Saturday. We finished and thought we'd spend the rest of the day in Area BFE. Well.... it's all taped off and posted with no trespassing signs. A quick search on their website shows it closed in June and looks to be going to a membership based or fee area.

One of the owners bought most of everybody out and in purely my own opinion is being a dumbass about it. Definitely not the original intentions from when it started.

Before this all happened, I did the website and hosted it voluntarily from the beginning because I supported the idea. Not any more. I'm pretty bummed about the direction, but time will tell. I'm definitely able to eat crow if I'm wrong.

A LOT of people put in blood sweat and tears into that parks developing trails and volunteering for other things and I feel like this guy just got a huge ego and decided to screw everybody. Again, purely my opinion.

Sad thing is, the park was doing well and had great sponsors before this all happened. Do some digging, you might find info. I'm absolutely supportive of a representative to come on here and tell their side... but I suppose we'd have to charge them a membership fee. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Evolved

Less-Known Member
So, is just the upper portion closed or are all of the trails shut down too (Green Day, Upper Helldorado, Minor Threat etc...)?

I assume yes because you can’t really get to any of the trails without going through the main park area. Unless I wanted to run Upper Helldorado backwards?

Pile of parts

So, is just the upper portion closed or are all of the trails shut down too (Green Day, Upper Helldorado, Minor Threat etc...)?

I assume yes because you can’t really get to any of the trails without going through the main park area. Unless I wanted to run Upper Helldorado backwards?
All of it is closed. There was a tape line accross the entrance. Half was down so we drove in and found every trail entrance taped off with no trespassing signs.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It's been going downhill for a couple of years at least. I'd personally prefer that they charge a fee rather than make it weird by shaking us down for money and then acting like our $20 donation is not enough. I've been going there since they opened and have always donated. I don't feel the need to go back. They'll probably read this and ban all of us anyways lol

Evolved

Less-Known Member
All of it is closed. There was a tape line accross the entrance. Half was down so we drove in and found every trail entrance taped off with no trespassing signs.
Man... that sucks. After winching myself up the waterfall on Upper Helldorado for years I felt like I have finally talked myself into trying to drive it this year. I was going to attempt it this weekend, guess not.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Right now all trails and parking areas are closed except for Strike Ravine. They have even gone on to say they will have you arrested for trespassing if you are caught anywhere else on the property.

They got pretty greedy over the last ~2 years(about the same time they hired a certain "marketing girl") and have jumped on every opportunity possible to make money out there....even offering "competitively priced photo/video packages" right after the BLM cracked down on some company shooting promo pics in Moab. They are supposed to be doing a bunch of "upgrades" to the park.... adding bathrooms, better camping sites, etc. As I understand it they will be going to a yearly membership or a daily entrance fee(instead of a donation). I guess they feel the added amenities will warrant admission fees but time will tell.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Right now all trails and parking areas are closed except for Strike Ravine. They have even gone on to say they will have you arrested for trespassing if you are caught anywhere else on the property.

They got pretty greedy over the last ~2 years(about the same time they hired a certain "marketing girl") and have jumped on every opportunity possible to make money out there....even offering "competitively priced photo/video packages" right after the BLM cracked down on some company shooting promo pics in Moab. They are supposed to be doing a bunch of "upgrades" to the park.... adding bathrooms, better camping sites, etc. As I understand it they will be going to a yearly membership or a daily entrance fee(instead of a donation). I guess they feel the added amenities will warrant admission fees but time will tell.

I hope they give lifetime memberships to the people who have put all that free work into the park... because it wouldn't be half of what it is without them.

xjtony

It's a damn shame that (apparent) greed can tarnish something tha was thought out to be something to give back to the community and protect the trails

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So according to folks on FB, the new owner is in fact trying to refuse access on Strike Ravine, the very trail the RR4W successfully fought in court to keep open against the Area BFE neighboring property. Because or that private land issue, a group bought Area BFE and fast forward RR4W is fighting with them :eek:

RockChucker

I called the number on BFE's website a few months back and talked with the owner. I didn't end the call with fuzzy feelings. He was trying to get strike ravine closed because apparently that was needed to be able to get insurance. He wouldn't give a day when it will open back up. I've pretty much written BFE off. And like Ryan said above, they picked a pretty bad time to pull these moves. Sand Hollow is rapidly gaining popularity and people will go there were the terrain is every bit, if not more gnarly and much better access.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So according to folks on FB, the new owner is in fact trying to refuse access on Strike Ravine, the very trail the RR4W successfully fought in court to keep open against the Area BFE neighboring property. Because or that private land issue, a group bought Area BFE and fast forward RR4W is fighting with them :eek:

Color me surprised. :(

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Update from Dave Adams @greenjeep

"I just got off the phone with the Red Rock 4-Wheelers president, Mike Kelso. Here is basically what he told me about the future of Strike Ravine, and Area BFE.

The current, and now sole owner of Area BFE, Robert, has plans to make it into a corporate retreat with a restaurant, cabins, all kinds of amenities, and a membership requirement to be able to use the property. He has been instructed by his lawyers that he can't get insurance for the property, or begin construction while the general public still has access to the property. This includes the trail, Strike Ravine.

It was explained to me that San Juan County, the county attorney, and the County Commissioners are fully behind this development, and are willing to give up claim to the portion of Strike Ravine which goes through the Area BFE property. It currently is a Class D Road, and there are precedents of counties giving up claim to a Class D road to allow for development.

Unfortunately this road does not qualify for RS 2477 protection because it was on state trust land (SITLA), not BLM land. Rather than get caught up in a costly lawsuit, the RR4W club has decided to reroute the trail and bypass the private property therefore eliminating the potential user conflict.

On a personal note, I do not agree with the decision of the club, or of San Juan County to give up this fight. I think it sets a bad precedent, and we should do everything we can to preserve this right of way. I do not know if San Juan County has officially given up claim to this Class D road, or even what that process would be, or if it would need a public comment period. But even if they have, I don't know if recourse could be brought through SITLA, since it was originally their property, and they would have been the original easement holders."