Asbestos Testing

Tebbsjeep

Do any of you do asbestos testing/removal? I have some ceiling tile and old floor tile I'd like to get tested before I go ripping it out.

Tebbsjeep

Yeah I've heard they just bag everything before they toss it. I'm more worried about the dust flying around while I demo. Is there a place I can rent a hepa filter machine?

astjp2

If it tests positive, legally you have to pay for abatement, you will not be allowed to remove it by yourself. Plan on $10-100K depending on size of the job and the amount of material. While you are at it, get the Sheetrock tested, almost all will show 1-2% if it is 15 years old or older.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
On another note, I was at the landfill a few months back, dropping off a truck load of debris from gutting our kitchen and I saw an asbestos company dumping their truck right into the same area the regular folks dump. That surprised me.

I would assume that was a non-asbestos load. There is all kinds of paper work and extra cost to dump asbestos.

Tebbsjeep

There was a general disclosure when I bought my house for lead and asbestos. I'm pretty sure I can remove it without issue. I just want to prevent any airborne particles from floating through the house.

astjp2

Yeah, Illegal dumping was and is still common in Utah, ATK plant at Promontory is still digging up toxic waste as they get called out on it and have to dig it up.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
There was a general disclosure when I bought my house for lead and asbestos. I'm pretty sure I can remove it without issue. I just want to prevent any airborne particles from floating through the house.
Masks go a long ways and also using the gallon pump sprayers to keep things wet will keep the dust down.

Popcorn ceiling will come off easy with a sprayer and square mouth shovel with little to no dust.

So I have heard. (General disclaimer)

Caleb

As suggested, just use a good mask and a sprayer to keep things moist and then I would plastic sheet off the area you are working to prevent any particles from getting outside that area.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The ceiling tiles will be a nightmare. You don’t really need to test anything, just assume it has asbestos and play it safe. A garden sprayer with water will keep things save. It’s perfectly fine to dispose of the tiles in the landfill. Everything has to be sealed in plastic trash bags is their only requirement.

The worst part about removing the ceiling tile will be the mastic that’s left behind. There is no way to remove it other than scraping it off which will damage the existing sheet rock. You’ll need to plan on that repair along with re-texturing the ceiling afterward.

Tebbsjeep

The ceiling tiles are stapled/nailed to the floor joists. They look like they're made out of loosely bound MDF board, if that makes sense. I know the floor tiles are glued on with that nasty crap.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I had the same ceiling tiles and super hard floor tiles. The ceiling pulls down pretty easy hardly much dust. The floor had no dust. Flat shovel took care of it in a couple hour