At what point do you "give-up" on a vehicle?

Pike2350

I broke my Rodeo out at 5 mile this summer. 1st time out this year mind you.

It's a shop getting evaluated. Turns out the damage was way worse then I had hoped. I ended up damaging/breaking the rear ARB locker along with the axle shaft...and due to metal scuffing up the bearing seat a little...the housing may give me issues later...but not 100% sure on that right now.

So I'm looking at $2k or so in repairs. The truck is so custom on the suspension it's making it harder to do things to it. Not to mention its unique for a trail truck....and I have less and less people to wheel with....and I'm torn on if I should fix it or not.

So at what point do you decide a truck is no longer worth dumping $$ into?

astjp2

A rodeo axle from a yard is like 175, figure 1K for a elocker, 300 to install it and gears, 200 for gears...plus install axle...so that is what you are looking at.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I usually give up at the point it's cheaper to replace it than fix it. Changing vehicles also brings up issues that you might not know on purchase, it requires you to get to know a new vehicle and it's limitations, and it requires you to know what your expectations are.
Some questions
1. Why a rodeo? (size, seating capacity, availability of parts, durability, etc)?
2. What do you look for in a vehicle?
3. What trails do you require the vehicle to run?

At one point I thought I'd have to haul my 4 girls out on my wheeling trips, sold off my Tacoma and got a Trooper with a 3rd row in the back and realized that my kids don't want to do anything harder than a rough graveled road. :( I ended up buying back my old Tacoma and getting a Sequoia for hauling the kids. I struggle with just 2 seats in my Tacoma and wish I had an extended or 4 door at times but I love the bed, it's light enough I'm not breaking parts, it's easy to work on, and it goes on all the trails I care about.

Pike2350

Some questions
1. Why a rodeo? (size, seating capacity, availability of parts, durability, etc)?
2. What do you look for in a vehicle?
3. What trails do you require the vehicle to run?

Rodeo is due to me buying it fully SAS'd after wheeling my dd Rodeo for 12 years. I got it for a steal but as you mention in the first part learned it needed a lot more work then anticipated. I've now invested i it quite a but (as we all do) and now it's capable as it was...but I keep looking to fine tune it due to some things I don't like...overall height.
I do like the size of the truck...seating for 4 and that it is unique....back when I wheeled my IFS dd there was a decent size community out there. With the exit if Isuzu from the US light truck market....not do much.
I do like that it is capable and allows me to do alot of trails and obstacles that are difficult.....although in reality its probably more then I reLly need for my wheeling style. I'm starting to dislike the customization if everything.

A rodeo axle from a yard is like 175, figure 1K for a elocker, 300 to install it and gears, 200 for gears...plus install axle...so that is what you are looking at.

This would be fine if it wasn't 4-linked. Then I have to do all new bracketry setup as well.

It's still less then replacing it given its parts and capability....but would invest in new locker or get it driveable and sell it for a JKU or JLU? Possibly even sell me F150 and then just get a Gladiator?

astjp2

I was more inclined for this:
Rear Axle Assembly
Honda Passport
125,576​
A​
$200​
Rowland Auto Recycling USA-UT(West-Valley) Request_Quote 1-800-870-2799 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
42​
Rear Axle Assembly
Isuzu Rodeo
3.0L,5 Sp,4x4
RH6357
$Call​
State Street Auto Wrecking USA-UT(Provo) Request_Quote 801-375-3451 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
78​
Rear Axle Assembly
Isuzu Rodeo
LS,3.2L,AT,4x4
140,000​
A​
$250​
Brothers Imports, Inc. USA-UT(Chester) E-mail 801-577-8368 / 435-436-5225
129​
Rear Axle Assembly
Isuzu Rodeo
LS,3.2L,AT,4x4
140,000​
A​
$200​
Brothers Imports, Inc. USA-UT(Chester) E-mail 801-577-8368 / 435-436-5225

Pike2350

The one for $800 looks decent....but I still need to pay to regear since im running 5.13's....plus it still doesn't have a locker....but does have an extra shaft supposedly. I'm not sure the housing is bad...but there was metal grinding.

I'm more inclined to get it going with existing housing.....risking it will be ok.

So would some of you guys spend upwards of $2k or throw in the towel on this truck?

J-mobzz

So for me personally I wouldn’t own a custom built trail rig I couldn’t work on myself. This is just the start. Things break. Over the years thinking about changing axles and drivelines or even water pumps trail side or hotel parking lots on rigs I’ve owned makes me think no way I could have managed with shops doing the work. Maybe get it together with out a locker sell it and get something more stockish and wheel it.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
dude, i know you love the rodeo but i'd have to vote, get yourself a 4runner, SAS it, and run leafs. ?

IMO, there is something to be said about an older 4cyl yota. reliable, simple, easy, awesome!

and you know i'm always down to help save ya some cash and throw that thing together.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
My thoughts; It is 100% about money/time and how you choose to spend it. Just like anything in life, how do you prioritize how your money/time is spent. I am not trying to put myself on a pedestal here but to me my time is typically more valuable than money (not so much on a bad commission month). If 2K is something that might take you months or years to save up to fix the Rodeo, than you might think about a more "lego" type car like @xj_nate suggests (monthly payments). If 2K is a little tiny hit to savings account then go on my friend and drive/pay to fix what you like! I like out of the box things and Rodeo crawler is cool in my opinion.

I own a full custom buggy and I would call myself intermediate when it comes to mechanic work and fixing things. I have some great friends that are awesome fabricators and mechanics to help with things go wrong.. That being said if I break something crucial and I/we don't have the time or the help to fix/repair said break then I know I may be paying someone to fix my car. It is definitely an expensive hobby but I love it and I in my marriage my wife knows that some expensive repairs are definitely possible/probable. But, it is a family adventure for us and we are okay with this. Especially since my kids talk about going back to Sand Hollow/Moab before we even get home from a trip.