Auburn locker

Omgbecki

Might be a shot in the dark but does anyone have any information on this limited slip/locker? I've read about it but everything I get is older information. I really like the idea of having one in the front axle of my jeep. Many thanks.

Jack-It

The Suspension Experts
Vendor
In our experience,

We always like a selectable locker in the front, like an ARB or Electric locker by Eaton or Auburn, makes them way easier to steer when unlocked.

Also if driven on the road it can have torque steer with the front end engaged all the time.

If it is a trail rig mainly, and he has some type of hydro assist steering set up, then a detroit is the way to go when it comes to non-selectable because you really won't see a big benifit with a standard limited slip in the front.

Last edited:

Jack-It

The Suspension Experts
Vendor
Is that the limited slip that engages to a "full locker" with electric stimulus?

also found this reguarding this specific locker.

"The Auburn Ected is a user-selectable differential that allows you to choose between Limited Slip and Spool option. This unit functions as a limited slip when in normal mode, but can be switched into a spool, locking both axles together for 100% traction."

mesha

By endurance we conquer
FWIW, it is a full carrier locker so you will need to have your diff set up again.

Omgbecki

Yeah that's the one. I've been following it for a while since it came up but the early models had issues. But what doesn't? What I really like about it is that I can have steering. I still have the stock steering box and pump and plan on keeping it. My last experience in moab I learned the pain of having to shift into two wheel drive whenever I wanted to steer and it really strained things a bit. With this I can stay in four wheel and steer. Right now I'm running just a rear lunchbox and and trying to get ready for EJS. I really like the limited slip idea over the typical full lock/open as most selective lockers. Thanks a lot guys and gals. I'm fine with the rear locker at the time if need be but I know I'll need a front one and know 2 lunchbox ones will be a huge pain but if needed I'll run that way. I ran hanging tree with 2 lunchbox lockers.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My take on the ECTED is "why". ARB, Zip, Ox, E-Locker is what I prefer. You have totally open or totally spool. Not a fan of the limited slip and am curious how it becomes a "spool"

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm a lunchbox locker fan for D30's, Aussie locker in particular. Can't beat the price and they're proven. Full case lockers for baby axles just never made sense to me but to each their own.

Omgbecki

I'm a lunchbox locker fan for D30's, Aussie locker in particular. Can't beat the price and they're proven. Full case lockers for baby axles just never made sense to me but to each their own.

I ran the lock rite in the front for some time. Loved it. Honestly things didn't get bad until I locked the rear. I only put the rear in because without it I couldn't get up Wayne's world. Kinda funny considering I never ended up doing it.

Omgbecki

I guess I could do what everyone else does and just do a on/off type locker. But I'm just not sure. I just feel the ECTED would bridge the gap between useless open and sometimes pointless locked.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If you drive in the snow much, you'll be happier with a diff that will fully open. Even in two wheel drive that posi will still be active causing severe understeer on ice

mbryson

Supporting Member
Sometimes full lock isn't needed. I like the options.

I'm personally not a fan of the limited slip at all. I like locked or not. As BC mentions, icy conditions can really suck with a locker or limited slip. Having the option to be open or locked is a great asset. The limited slip isn't really enough for what you need when you need a locker and it's sometimes to much for when you don't. Just my take. I'm curious to see how much you like it

rholbrook

I ran the Ected in my old TJ and liked them. Every once in a while it would struggle coming out of being locked but I have seen that with other selectable. I had no issues with them

thenag

Carl (I Lean) once told me; "if you have air get an ARB."

ARB has many years experience on the other selectable lockers, they are proven their customer service is good, and parts will be available.

(and if you don't have air... get air...)

I actually haven't heard of the Ected lately, I kind of thought they were out of production... If it is what I am thinking of they are the ones that you can get under and lock with a wrench if the solenoid goes bad? That is the only thing I don't like about ARB if your air system is down, if your air solenoid goes down, if an air line fails, etc, etc, you don't have a locker.

Nathan

Last edited:

Omgbecki

Thanks guys. This is exactly why I wrote on here. You guys are awesome. I shouldn't have changed my set up before. I am open now in front and notice a lot of push coming from the rear now. I don't have air. Anyone have any idea what it'll cost for a ARB set up or ox. E locker would be cool.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Having bought a few used ARB lockers, I'd probably just pony up and pay for a complete in box setup. I run an Eaton E-locker in the front and like that but it's a very old unit and I know they've changed the design for it. Once you've had air, even from an overworked ARB compressor, you'll always want it on your rig. There are arguments for and against an ARB. That's been hashed on here quite a few times. I don't have any experience with a Yukon Zip locker but I'd assume that to have similar benefits/drawbacks as an ARB.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/eaton-elocker/index.htm

http://store.arbusa.com/air-lockers-c7.aspx

....and there's always this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c ARB vs Zip Locker

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Just a thought for you on the ARB vs E-Locker debate: I've been running an ARB in my 8.8 rear end for probably 5-6 years now. It has been good, but I think if the day ever comes where my ARB takes a dump, I likely wouldn't run out and immediately replace it with a new ARB, but would strongly consider an E-locker. Here's why: about a year after purchasing the ARB I had to replace the seals in the seal housing because they had already worn out. Not sure if that was installation error on the original install by the shop or what, but either way, I had to replace them. It is not an expensive fix if you do it on your own, but takes a decent amount of time to do it, maybe the new ARB design has addressed this.

2nd thing: I've found that when using it in cold weather, it sometimes will cycle the compressor every few seconds. I assume this is attributed to moisture accumulating in the solenoid and freezing because as soon as I am no longer in freezing weather, I do not encounter the issue. Not a big deal as the locker still seems to be engaged, but more just an annoyance. My Detroit in the front however, never had a problem, works great.

Both of these would have been avoided had I gone E-Locker originally. My .02.

Omgbecki

Thanks guys. I think I'll look into them. If I remember right doesn't the ARB need a shaft upgrade in the front too? Running stock spline count.