Auto VS Manual Trans

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Every time someone tells me a manual is better for off-roading it usually usually goes like this, "Manuals are better, you have better control, drinking mercury is good for you and, I am also married to my sister".

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Every time someone tells me a manual is better for off-roading it usually usually goes like this, "Manuals are better, you have better control, drinking mercury is good for you and, I am also married to my sister".

Wait what? They said mercury would cure my bald spot.

redrussell

Let's address the first problem :D

Allowing a spouse to participate (drive if desired) is the best thing you can do to increase enjoyment of wheeling. Just remember to take it easy and don't pressure her into doing something she doesn't want to.

That said, we switched from manual to auto with a v8 swap and it's been a good move.

Lol she knows how, she just refuses. I taught her on the very Jeep I am rebuilding now. She enjoys going out, her only request is a handle to hang onto.

XJEEPER

Having wheeled with two manual trans equipped rigs and two auto equipped rigs (one was the same rig) I've arrived at the simple equation........Two feet=Two pedals

Last edited:

Pile of parts

Having wheeled with two manual trans equipped rigs and two auto equipped rigs (one was the same rig) I've arrived at the simple equation........Two feet=Two pedals

This brings us right back to "Real men drive manual transmissions!" Just don't ask how we work the third pedal...:rofl:

Sorry couldn't resist. For the record, Left foot on the clutch, right toes on the brake and right heel on the gas is how I work the third pedal - wish I were more manly than that.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
You don't need a foot for each pedal...

you need a heel or toe for each pedal. Now that that's all cleared up we can all agree which is better :D

redrussell

Well I settled the debate, I will be running auto. Now my can't decide between th400 and th350, my 700r4 is blown. both the 400 and the 350 are mated to 205s. My engine is a healthy 350 chevy pushing around 370hp. I am partial to the 400's because I never blew one up when I was racing. Tey eat up power though so I am again just looking for peoples experiences on these 2 trans.

thenag

Never heard of a Hand Throttle...
handthrotle1.jpg

Foot on Brake, Foot on Gas, Hand on Wheel, Hand on Shifter/Throttle.

I have the opposite issue my wife won't drive an auto.

A properly setup auto will preform better in most situations than a stick. All 3 of our vehicles are manuals, 2007 SD v10 with a 6spd, 1999 xj with an ax15, and a 2015 Fiesta 1.0L 3cyl with a 5spd (yup 140 ft/lbs out of a 1.0L!)

I prefer the manual purely from a maintenance/repair standpoint. My old 2000 SD had 240,000 miles original transmission and clutch, changed the transmission fluid every 100k. I don't know of a 2000-2007 SD that has over 200k on the original auto tranny. my father-in-law just had his tranny rebuilt in his excursion... Yikes$$$$$!

But longevity usually doesn't factor into a wheeling rig since it will only get a few miles a year.

Drive what you like.

(oh and yes someone will point out that their transmission has 200k + on it without being rebuilt, but for autos that is the exception not the norm)

Nathan

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Never heard of a Hand Throttle...
View attachment 101559

I prefer the manual purely from a maintenance/repair standpoint. My old 2000 SD had 240,000 miles original transmission and clutch, changed the transmission fluid every 100k. I don't know of a 2000-2007 SD that has over 200k on the original auto tranny. my father-in-law just had his tranny rebuilt in his excursion... Yikes$$$$$!

But longevity usually doesn't factor into a wheeling rig since it will only get a few miles a year.

Drive what you like.

(oh and yes someone will point out that their transmission has 200k + on it without being rebuilt, but for autos that is the exception not the norm)

Nathan

I was in Moab a couple weeks back and my sister's Jeep had some issues with the starter, they stopped somewhere on Main and when they pulled out she said the starter sounded like it was still turning while the engine was running, screwed around with it for a while, finally got it to start to get back to camp, when we got to camp it wouldn't turn over again. Messed with it and occasionally it sounded like it was trying to spin the starter without engaging the flywheel or the starting motor wouldn't turn when you tried to start it. Ended up skipping a trail the last day because we didn't want to wind up somewhere with a Jeep that wouldn't start. If it was my truck we probably would have ran something easy and roll started with the clutch if I shut it down and the starter wouldn't work. It would be nice if Jeep would let you roll start with an auto but I've never heard of that working.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
FWIW I started on man trans trucks & blazers & even a suburban, & I allways thought they were tough & manley!:cool: When I got my first auto I realized how forgiving they were, if you miss the line.....let it roll back a couple of feet..... adjust, go again! No heel/toe, clutch slipping, hand break holding, rolling back to the bottom of the hill to try again drama to worry about!:cool::cool::cool:

That being said, I'm currently building a man trans Jeep because I need to sharpen my offroad driving skills! With a manual, you have to plan the approach, line, gear, speed, & plan of attack before you even start!:eek::cool:

It's a personal thing, I don't expect everyone to get it!:rofl:

redrussell

Thread revival... Not for opinions but for some specific advice/tech. I have an 89 k case 700r4 and it needs rebuilt. My uncle is a former ase Master mechanic turned electronics engineer after he hurt his back really bad. He said he will help.me but he quit turning wrenches back in 86 so isn't too familiar with the 700(he was a Mercedes and Ford mechanic but raced Chevy's in the 70s), he knows the th350,400 and the power glide really well.

redrussell

Sorry posted that by mistake and then didn't get this posted after I wrote it apparently
What are some good kits people have used? Are there any special tool I will need?

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
If he knows TH350's well then I can't imagine him having too hard of a time with a 700R4. My only advice would be to spend the $20 on the ATSG manual before you tear in to it. It got me through my TH400 rebuild. There might be some instructional vids on youtube as well that might give you an idea about any special tools needed. I used the "monster in a box" kit from these guys http://www.monstertransmission.com/GM-Transmission-Rebuild-Kits_c_4317.html.