AW4 to Dana 300, anyone done it?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone successfully running a Dana 300 behind a AW4? I'm reading that the adapter needs to be thicker to clear the t-case.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
I dont recall any mating problems on the last one I did(its been 15 years) but I also used cable shifters so that may have been the difference.

The 231/242 has the same bolt pattern and 23 spline input. The XJ pattern is "clocked down" slightly(~10deg) from the YJ/TJ pattern so most people will buy a cheap clocking ring to shift the case back up(or even flat). That clocking ring should give you the space you need to mount a 300 to a AW4.

Greg

Admin
I dont recall any mating problems on the last one I did(its been 15 years) but I also used cable shifters so that may have been the difference.

The 231/242 has the same bolt pattern and 23 spline input. The XJ pattern is "clocked down" slightly(~10deg) from the YJ/TJ pattern so most people will buy a cheap clocking ring to shift the case back up(or even flat). That clocking ring should give you the space you need to mount a 300 to a AW4.

Good info, thanks! I think I have a clocking ring sitting in the shop, actually. :D

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have an AW4, Dana 300 and the Novak clocking ring sitting in my garage still bolted together. It just came out of my Jeep as I'm looking to upgrade the drive train. I've had no problems with it.

Greg

Admin
I have an AW4, Dana 300 and the Novak clocking ring sitting in my garage still bolted together. It just came out of my Jeep as I'm looking to upgrade the drive train. I've had no problems with it.

I just read a post of yours elsewhere about that combo! :rofl: Are you looking to sell? I have a Dana 300, but like the idea of having them all bolted together already.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Yes I'm looking to sell it to fund my next upgrade. Its no problem if you want to use your dana 300. Mine comes with a home made twin stick, nothing fancy but it works.

Greg

Admin
Yes I'm looking to sell it to fund my next upgrade. Its no problem if you want to use your dana 300. Mine comes with a home made twin stick, nothing fancy but it works.

Let me know what price you're thinking, with and w/o the Dana 300... either way, I'm interested!

Greg

Admin
Did I miss what you are putting this in?

:p Maybe!

The CJ2A... I've been having starter and carb issues, I think it's time to make it whistle and clatter.

VW TDI, AW4, Dana 300 and a AMC 20 rear with Dana 30 front from a narrow track CJ5. Should be a lot more reliable, modern, pull down 30-35 mpg and offer more torque down low. I can eventually add a 4 to 1 in the t-case, the auto will make it easier to drive offroad and with 4.10 gears and overdrive, it'll run 65+ all day long. Not sure I WANT to go that fast in a Willys, but it should do it without issue.

The thing is, I don't need another project right now... but the 2A doesn't run currently and I need to do something about it. I have all the parts, other than the AW4... but thanks to @DaveB , I'll have almost everything I need.

Greg

Admin
That sounds like a fun drive train. Looking forward to this swap.

I think it'll be perfect, gain some reliability, torque and mileage. I don't have any delusions though, it'll take time. I'll be happy to have it running, tested and reliable before EJS 2020.