Axle shafts

Omgbecki

Ok guys. 2 part question. Hopefully. Could slightly bent rear shafts be the reason I keep having my seals leak. I've had them replaced twice and about 5-6 months later they are leaking again. If so, what's a decent shaft with the stock spline count the is just plug and play. I don't have access to a press for the bearings. I haven't really looked into the total process of replacing said shafts yet so I'm not exactly sure how it goes

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Seeing that you most likely have a Dana 35 out back, I think it is more likely that the tubes are slightly bent rather than the shafts.
From my experience the stock shafts don't typically bend, they would break or twist the splines before they bend.

Not gonna say they aren't bent but I don't think so

Omgbecki

Seeing that you most likely have a Dana 35 out back, I think it is more likely that the tubes are slightly bent rather than the shafts.
From my experience the stock shafts don't typically bend, they would break or twist the splines before they bend.

Not gonna say they aren't bent but I don't think so

I actually have the 44.

RockChucker

I run Yukon shafts all the way around on my rig. When I had an 8.8, I also had Yukon shafts. Great bang for the buck. I would imagine their tj 44 shafts are good too

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
On TJ's I have installed either Ten Factory or Superior with good results but I have also heard good things about the Yukon, just no first hand experience with those in particular.

If you order them from Northridge and don't have access to a press they do offer a service that will basically ship your new shafts to you with bearings and seals pressed on for a bolt in process. I'm told it is very reasonable but can't tell you exactly what it costs but worth a phone call.

Mike

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If the axle shaft were bent, I'd think you'd be able to see the wobble in the tire if you lifted it and spun it. This won't be noticeable with a bent housing, but you might have some strange tire wear... again depending on the severity of the bend in either the axle or housing.

I'm also betting housing.

Omgbecki

If the axle shaft were bent, I'd think you'd be able to see the wobble in the tire if you lifted it and spun it. This won't be noticeable with a bent housing, but you might have some strange tire wear... again depending on the severity of the bend in either the axle or housing.

I'm also betting housing.

I actually first noticed said wobble when I had polished aluminum wheels on the jeep. When I looked at the ground while driving it wasn't a perfect circle at the rear while the fronts were a solid reflection at ground level. Then I noticed at low speed it has a little "lump" while moving. I always thought the housing being a possibility due to the insides of the tires wearing just a hair faster but also figured that might be due to being constantly locked. It's been this way for years but more I'll have the time to look into it. I've had the seals replaced 4 times in ten years and that seems a bit excessive. I literally just got off YouTube watching videos of bent shafts and was about to go set if I could see any measurable difference with the jeep lifted. Thanks for the suggestions.

Omgbecki

Omgbecki

On TJ's I have installed either Ten Factory or Superior with good results but I have also heard good things about the Yukon, just no first hand experience with those in particular.

If you order them from Northridge and don't have access to a press they do offer a service that will basically ship your new shafts to you with bearings and seals pressed on for a bolt in process. I'm told it is very reasonable but can't tell you exactly what it costs but worth a phone call.

Mike

Thanks. I was just on their site before coming over here. I've gone through them before and they are very customer oriented. Figured they would do something like that. I'll check it out.